WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Sorry I can't type.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Images

I drink my coffee black. Instant is not an option when you don't use cream and sugar. Folgers Singles are ok in a pinch, but still not a "real coffee" experience.

This works well. You put in a regular coffee filter, your ground of choice, and pour boiling water on top. It drips into your cup just like a regular drip coffee maker at home. Not too shabby, and no messy cleanup like with a press.

http://www.rei.com/product/401153/one-cup-coffee-maker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pickNgrin View Post
    I drink my coffee black. Instant is not an option when you don't use cream and sugar. Folgers Singles are ok in a pinch, but still not a "real coffee" experience.

This works well. You put in a regular coffee filter, your ground of choice, and pour boiling water on top. It drips into your cup just like a regular drip coffee maker at home. Not too shabby, and no messy cleanup like with a press.

http://www.rei.com/product/401153/one-cup-coffee-maker
    Actually, this is more like what I have. It takes a paper filter. http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-.../dp/B0014CVEH6

+1 on Starbucks Instant....I like the Columbian....

Images

I priced coffee packets, and the cheapest I found was 19 packets for 5 bucks....Because I don't like instant coffee, nor did I like the price of 200 days of coffee, I made my own coffee packets! I used regular sized coffee filters, added a heaping teaspoon of folger's coffee grounds, folded it into a pouch, and used kite string and a stapler to seal it off! Fresh coffee!!!! And it only cost me about 15 bucks in materials/ingredients, for about 150 packets of coffee!) (300/400 ML in the jetboil per packet)

Images

oh...and I used powdered french vanilla creamer....some generic crap from the dollar store.

Believe it or not, those cheap little $1 jars of Pampa instant are quite tasty! A little sweet even without sugar, perhaps bcause this is a South American company. (Like Mexican versions of our sodas are sweeter than the ones bottled in the U.S). They last about three days for a person who drinks 5 - 6 cuppas a day. So, maybe two jars if you're going into a town once a week or so. I'm fine with instant; I don't like the waste of the aforementioned Folger's singles (the packaging). But I'm obsessed with these things. I have to have my hot coffee throughout the day, and this is going to be a real challenge if I don't want to stop every couple of hours to boil water. (It already was a challenge on the Long Trail, Vermont, and during Bikecentennial with my parents; I made do, but not happily, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by fabianscorpio View Post
    I priced coffee packets, and the cheapest I found was 19 packets for 5 bucks....Because I don't like instant coffee, nor did I like the price of 200 days of coffee, I made my own coffee packets! I used regular sized coffee filters, added a heaping teaspoon of folger's coffee grounds, folded it into a pouch, and used kite string and a stapler to seal it off! Fresh coffee!!!! And it only cost me about 15 bucks in materials/ingredients, for about 150 packets of coffee!) (300/400 ML in the jetboil per packet)

So resourceful, you! Thanks for posting a great solutions for we coffee lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianscorpio View Post

Hmm, did you use Stainless Steel staples?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

I dont know if they were stainless steel. For the amount of time they are in the water, does it matter? Besides, I'm also drinking water from streams and puddles and relying on my filter to save me...hahaha

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Regarding creamers. I recently realized that carrying a couple of the small airplane size bottles of Bailey's irish creme allows me to carry real creme that doesn't go bad on the trail. I found thst less than an ounce of bailey's per cup works for me and I like the flavor it imparts. Might not be a perfect solution for everyday during a thru hike, but it works well for my sections.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I make cowboy coffee...instant coffee sucks.....it had to be said
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Instant. I've tried several of them, and the Nescafe French Roast is my current favorite. Better than the Starbucks Via - and much cheaper.

Cowboy coffee is probably better, but my last trip, I saw some grounds on the ground next to a shelter. Instant eliminates the temptation to litter the environment with the leftover grounds.

I've mostly eliminated coffee altogether on the trail. In the morning I pop a 200mg caffeine pill and at lunch mix up an energy drink that contains caffeine. That keep me from going through withdrawal symptoms plus extends my gas canister, I since I only need to do one burn a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Regarding creamers. I recently realized that carrying a couple of the small airplane size bottles of Bailey's irish creme allows me to carry real creme that doesn't go bad on the trail. I found thst less than an ounce of bailey's per cup works for me and I like the flavor it imparts. Might not be a perfect solution for everyday during a thru hike, but it works well for my sections.
    I found so condensed creamer in my local wal mart store several different flavors right around two ounces and looks like a sweetened condensed milk texture.
    I used it with sugar packets and seems to work good for me.

Started with nice coffee. By about halfway I was mixing a pack (or two) of instant into a pack (or two) of instant breakfast. Yummy and lots of calories and very light.

I used these in the field when I was in the Army. Already mixed with sugar and cream: Maxim Mocha Gold Korean Instant Coffee.

Article - Taste Test: The Best Instant Coffee

To the coffee snobs: try each of those until you find one you like. Starbucks VIA (already mentioned up-thread) and Jacob's Kronung are excellent. I've had "Medaglia D’Oro" instant espresso too and you'd be hard pressed to tell it's instant.

I can't fathom bring a freaking coffee press on the trail.

Cafe Bustelo single serving instant. $1.00 / 6 servings at Target or HEB.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I can't believe I read the Huffington Post.
    No worries. #3 & #4 on the Top 5 list are ready to go in my ULA Circuit.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++