WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Default GIS ultralight drip coffee maker

This is the only way to go if you really need good coffee. 0.4 oz.
    http://www.rei.com/product/784659/gs...p-coffee-maker

16oz of boiled water in the morning gets you a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, with enough left over for the clean up.

And here's a tip -- if you like cream, you don't have to put up with that nasty powdered stuff. Just pick up a handful of creamers at McD's when you're in town and carry them in your coffee mug.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    This is the only way to go if you really need good coffee. 0.4 oz.
    http://www.rei.com/product/784659/gs...p-coffee-maker

16oz of boiled water in the morning gets you a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, with enough left over for the clean up.
    Thanks - I am actually considering that one, but 16oz wouldn't be enough. I could just keep keep reheating the water in the pot and making more single cups. And I like mine Black.

Myjo
    By presto
    Pros...
    Great coffee
    Never had grounds in my coffee.
    Easy peasy
    Cons....
    Not super lite
    A bit bulky

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    Thanks - I am actually considering that one, but 16oz wouldn't be enough. I could just keep keep reheating the water in the pot and making more single cups. And I like mine Black.

http://hikelighter.com/2015/09/29/gs...-coffee-maker/

I've been testing a new setup, If you've seen folks in coffee shops using the pour over method for coffee, that's the direction I'm going. I didn't want to do anything overly complicated, so this is what I came up with.

Using #2 coffee filters and a piece of aluminum foil I created a simple pour over system. Just fold up the aluminum and put two small holes in the bottom about the size of a thumbtack. Now you're ready to go. Put the filter inside the aluminum pour over shape. Add some coffee and hot water and let it slowly seep through.

It makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee and adds very little weight. Simple and effective. The only drawback is that the aluminum isn't strong enough to support the weight of the water when you pour it in so you have to hold it until some of the water has seeped through.

Update: I've made a new one of these out of thicker aluminum from a baking sheet. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb2 View Post
    I've been testing a new setup, If you've seen folks in coffee shops using the pour over method for coffee, that's the direction I'm going. I didn't want to do anything overly complicated, so this is what I came up with.

Using #2 coffee filters and a piece of aluminum foil I created a simple pour over system. Just fold up the aluminum and put two small holes in the bottom about the size of a thumbtack. Now you're ready to go. Put the filter inside the aluminum pour over shape. Add some coffee and hot water and let it slowly seep through.

It makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee and adds very little weight. Simple and effective. The only drawback is that the aluminum isn't strong enough to support the weight of the water when you pour it in so you have to hold it until some of the water has seeped through.

Update: I've made a new one of these out of thicker aluminum from a baking sheet. Works great.

cool idea. I use a melita cone filter same idea just doesn't pack flat. That said they do make packable versions of this idea. Still one of the best brews out there
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Trader Joe's instant 100% Colombian is much better than Starbucks Via. I also like Trader Joe's instant coffee "all dressed up" with creamer and sugar in little packets.

What I need is a good hiking insulated cup that won't spill so I can have hot coffee all day long.

That's easy for keeping it hot get a thermos
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Images

I like my GSI press. Makes great coffee.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Journal Entries

A muslin coffee "sock," sold in stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond might do the trick. Carry pre-ground coffee in a Ziplock.
    "If a hiker falls in the forest, and there's not a tree around to hear him, does he make a sound?" JN316

Journal Entries

Default Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Cafe Bustello Instant espresso

If you're going to do cowboy coffee it works best if you use a coarse grind, which settles out MUCH better than a really fine grind.

Amen to Cafe Bustello. Tried them all but Bustello rocks!

Nature's Coffee Kettle makes some great coffee while on trail. It's light weight, folds nicely, but more importantly brews coffee naturally. The coffee/filter it comes with can be reused up to 4 times. Columbia 100% Coffee style is their best, next to Hazelnut.

Folgers or tasters choice instant packets.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Folgers has coffee in tea bags style with string
    fill cup/pot with water
    drop coffee Bag in water
    bring water to boil
    raise and dip coffee bag with string up and down a to taste
    enjoy !
    the downside is carrying around used coffee bags till next trash stop...but its sooo worth it !!! IMO
    leave no trace... haul your trash out !

Lots of great suggestions to try out - I tried the Starbucks Via and do not care for it. Next on my list is Trader Joe's instant, but knowing me and my taste buds I'm guessing I will end up with a press or cowboy coffee.

The quest continues....

For short hikes when not camping I have RX pill bottles, one coffee, one creamer, and one sugar.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Starbucks has some good instant coffee, but as others have mentioned, its a little pricey, but so what on the trail. Also, I just boil the water, but some in a small cup and bang-bang-instant starbucks. its a good way to get going in the morning or at night.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

After the starbucks taste test, I'm either going to pack my aluminum percolator (I have a Burr grinder to make it course) or do cowboy coffee.

I just can't deal with instant -

Quote Originally Posted by Portie View Post
    Trader Joe's instant 100% Colombian is much better than Starbucks Via. I also like Trader Joe's instant coffee "all dressed up" with creamer and sugar in little packets.

What I need is a good hiking insulated cup that won't spill so I can have hot coffee all day long.
    Zojirushi 16 ounce travel mug. Totally leakproof locking lid. I fill it about 6 am and take it to work. Still hot at noon. If it lasts that long.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++