WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

If we're talking about the same Nescafe packs I get them at the local Family Dollar store for $1.15 a box and I think the box is 7 packets.

Yes, those are the ones. They aren't readily available everywhere, at least not by me, but for $1/box they do the trick.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've been experimenting with my new to me "Vintage Comet 2 Cup" percolator - 181 grams of Joe:
    IMG_8067.JPG
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    I've been experimenting with my new to me "Vintage Comet 2 Cup" percolator - 181 grams of Joe:
    IMG_8067.JPG
    Cool. Is that an Optimus wind screen? What stove are you using?

Journal Entries
    Images

Optimus wind screen and a BRS-3000. I like the windscreen a bunch! The wind screen keeps an Olicamp heat exchanger pot centered on the stove and fits inside with the fuel and the burner.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    I LOVE COFFEE.

I love my percolator, but it's too heavy. I'm leaning towards the Snow Peak coffee press (b/c it is light and makes 3 cups at a time - all for ME ME ME).

Anyone have a favorite coffee set-up they can recommend for consideration?

Happy New Year,
    FFN
    I use the Snow Peak coffee press. It makes good coffee. 3 cup/.5 liter capacity actually = 2 home mugs of coffee for me. My usual morning intake. If you attach the Snow Peak Hotlips you can drink straight from the press after pressing down the grounds and removing the plunger. You don’t need to carry an extra cup. The grounds stay at the bottom. I just use regular ground coffee. You can put the Press straight on the stove and boil, but it is tall and narrow and very unstable on the stove. Better, I think, to boil in a pot and pour into to press.

Another thing I’ve tried was filling empty teabags with ground coffee. You can buy 100 bags for $1 on AliExpress. The ones I bought were not so big and it took two teabags to make a good cup. It takes some prep time making up the bags ahead of time, but it’s a no-mess way to make a cup of coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I drink coffee all day. Always hot and always black. However, in my never ending quest for on the trail ease, I have discovered ICED Starbucks Via. Super easy and tastes great. Literally poor it into my Gatorade bottle and shake. So much easier for morning and for a quick mid day pick me up.

Hello!!
    I love coffee too, I use clever coffee maker to make coffee for me.

Images

Though I've been for many years a huge fan of Starbucks Via's, and I still am, but we recently found a new Nescafe Taster's Choice product that is our new trail coffee standard, tastes pretty darn good, not quite Via, but close enough. The real draw to us is the economy and convenience.... less than half the cost of Via's, but also the packets have 50% more product. We both love strong coffee, and basically we used to do 1.5 Vias each, and doing the "half" was cumbersome, now we just do the new Nescafe product.

Journal Entries

As much as I love good coffee, I don't drink much on the trail cuz it's a lot of hassle .

But when I do it's usually these red ones because they're free 3 per day at hotel
    IMG_20180224_172143934.jpg
    I don't know if it has any caffeine in it but it's warm and reasonably mild tasting.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-24-2018 at 11:22.

Images

Boom, breakfast of champions

Journal Entries

I found this GSI Filter works great. Screws on to a wide mouth bottle then the bottle cap can screw on top of the filter. Real coffee grounds can be placed either in or under the filter. I then pour hot water into the bottle and let it soak for a few minutes. I have also made an insulated cozy to keep things warm as I really enjoy a morning cup of hot coffee.
    Blackheart

I like TJs (the one with milk and sugar), however it is very weak. Haven't looked at the directions but i gather it's for 8 oz of water. I tried 1.5 in maybe 12 oz of water and it worked very well. A half serving like that is rather awkward to work with, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    I drink coffee all day. Always hot and always black. However, in my never ending quest for on the trail ease, I have discovered ICED Starbucks Via. Super easy and tastes great. Literally poor it into my Gatorade bottle and shake. So much easier for morning and for a quick mid day pick me up.
    How did you stay in one spot long enough to compose this post?

100 % organic micro ground Kona, 100 % Jamican Blue Mt(the variety not the brand), shade grown Huehuetengo Guatemalan and shade grown Costa Rican coffees are the best tasting Ive drunk on trail. Off trail, Cartegena Columbian and Istanbul Turkish coffee (more a.coffee making method) from on the street were different but very worthy. I've only tried civet coffee once but looking forward to it again.

Anyone else have civet coffee? It's made from the partally digested cherries found in the feces of the civet cat.

Nescafe, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    100 % organic micro ground Kona, 100 % Jamican Blue Mt(the variety not the brand), ]

Anyone else have civet coffee? It's made from the partally digested cherries found in the feces of the civet cat.
    ]
    At $100-600 a pound, I don't think I'll be trying any soon. OTOH, I like your other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    At $100-600 a pound, I don't think I'll be trying any soon. OTOH, I like your other choices.
    That's why I've only tried it once.

Gosh coffee while hiking has to be one of the best simple pleasures in life.

... I've only tried civet coffee once but looking forward to it again.

Someone offered me some civet coffee once. I thanked him but declined after explaining I didn't see any upside, lol.
    1. If I liked it, it's $100 to $600 a pound! No way I'd pay those kinds of prices, yikes.
    2. It's cat poop coffee. Not going there, nope.

-FA

Images

I don't really drink coffee, I am more of a tea drinker. As such, I don't have a coffee palette. So when wealthy relatives gave me a cup of civet coffee, I couldn't taste any real difference from $10/bag coffee.

Sometimes it is more expensive to have a refined palette and for that frugal reason, I shall refrain.

Also, isn't a civet a weasel rather than a feline?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++