WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Female leg amputee becomes the first to complete thru-hike of the Appalachian ... - W

WSLS

Female leg amputee becomes the first to complete thru-hike of the Appalachian ...
    WSLS
    Female amputee attempting record-breaking hike of Appalachian Trail (Cover). VIRGINIA (WSLS 10) -A new record was set on the Appalachian Trail Sunday, December 27th, 2015. Niki Rellon became the first female leg amputee to complete a thru-hike of ...

More...

a new record was set?

Journal Entries

She might be the first female leg amputee to complete the trail, but id be surprised if anyone was keeping track of that.

Quick to write a book too.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

I met her at Rausch Gap 5 weeks ago. Nice person. Congratulations to her.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    She might be the first female leg amputee to complete the trail, but id be surprised if anyone was keeping track of that.

Quick to write a book too.

Things that make you go hmmmm....
    How many limbs do you have to lose before you lighten up?

Inspiring to say the least. Those Germans are strong hikers.

I met the Bionic Woman at the beginning of her hike last year when I was down in GA/NC.

Tough as Nails would have been a good trail name as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Agreed. I've met quite a few people who are writing books about their AT hikes, just for the sake of writing a book about it.

OK. So. Good for her if she makes money on a book. She actually has quite the story. It's easy for people who have disabilities to write books - all we have to do is tie our own shoes for someone to run up and proclaim what an inspiration we are. So, I rarely use the word. But for someone with such a new disability to pull off an accomplishment like this - for me, that is impressive and inspiring. Most people who acquire disabilities later in life spend a lot more time just dealing with their change in circumstances before getting back to what one might call "normal" life. She brings new meaning to "just go for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    I personally dont think being a woman has much to do with anything, except being something that can be claimed.

Its a great accomplishment. It can be inspiring to others with prosthetics possibly. Thats a great thing. Congratulations to her. And Id probably buy her book, because she carried a pack.

Google Amy Palmiero. Gifted people with the right prosthetics today, can do amazing things. Including playing college football.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-31-2015 at 21:15.

Images

I hiked with her for a bit in the HMW this summer. She's incredibly tough, great sense of humor and humility. I look forward to reading her book and hope that it inspires others.

bionic_hmw.jpg

Images

Unfortunately, the media and many others, still think women are inept in the outdoors.
    Regardless, if you trip away the gender this is still an impressive accomplishment.

I tend to root for anyone who doesn’t let hurdles in life stop them from accomplishing their goals. I tend to root for those who dig deep and do not give excuses. While Bionic Woman certainly had a good excuse not to hike this season, and not to get back on the trail when she was forced to get off, she chose not to use that excuse. I would guess she sees her prosthetic as a means of transportation, rather than an excuse. You never know if you can do something until you try.

I would have to guess that the one person who would not have accepted an excuse was Bionic Woman – She has the internal fortitude that so many are lacking these days. If you look around you will hear lots of excuses for not following through on (name the adventure/project/goal), or not even starting to reach for a goal. That’s why stories like this stand out - Regardless of gender. Bionic Woman had a goal and she went for it. She didn’t let things stop her from attaining her goal, she had to work with the hand she was dealt. There were no excuses made.

I would like to extend hearty congratulations and thank you to Bionic Woman. Not just for the completing her goal, but for the reminder that when life hands ya curve balls, what matters is how you choose to deal with it.

Journal Entries

Congratulations to her for sure....inspiring stuff!

Images

Remember hearing about her at the beginning of her hike, so glad she was able to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    OK. So. Good for her if she makes money on a book. She actually has quite the story. It's easy for people who have disabilities to write books - all we have to do is tie our own shoes for someone to run up and proclaim what an inspiration we are. So, I rarely use the word. But for someone with such a new disability to pull off an accomplishment like this - for me, that is impressive and inspiring. Most people who acquire disabilities later in life spend a lot more time just dealing with their change in circumstances before getting back to what one might call "normal" life. She brings new meaning to "just go for it."
    totally agree, 16 months, throw out the leg amputation, the other injuries with keep even the best off the trail in that time frame

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was"

++ New Posts ++