WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Cold weather down bag...

I'm in the market for a new cold weather bag. My warm weather bag is a Zpacks 30 degree bag or I use my Jacks R Better quilt. So I was considering the Zpacks 10 degree bag or the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15. The Zpacks bag is nearly a pound lighter and I'm already familiar with their products. Does anyone have any preference or know of another option that I should consider? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Using both quilts and Zpacks bag isnt an option?

I recently purchased a Marmot Lithium 0 degree bag. I love it. The foot box shape and size was a particular draw to me. I've only tested it to 15 degrees so far but slept warm in shorts and t shirt. I found it online just under 500. It's heavier than the two options you have but a great sleep so far. My only complaint is the neck draft tube is not well thought out. Good luck with your choice.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Using both quilts and Zpacks bag isnt an option?
    It would be but I would to just carry one item.

How much are you willing to spend?

I've got a used 20degree down bag for sale on the forums if you're interested.

Look into a Western Mountaineering Alpinelite / Ultralite or a Versalite (depending on your size and preferred sleeping bag cut). You won't be disappointed.

Journal Entries

How much are you willing to spend?
    I'm willing to pay $400-$500 for a quality bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Look into a Western Mountaineering Alpinelite / Ultralite or a Versalite (depending on your size and preferred sleeping bag cut). You won't be disappointed.
    I would agree (as we own four WM bags between my wife and myself), that Versalite is sa-weet, 2 pounds for a conservatively rated 10 degree, I've used one comfortably at 0 (in a good 4-season tent), but it is right around $550, hard to find these puppies on sale.

I was looking at a Pumalite. I'm thinking if selling my first born to finance it. I

I love my Antelope MS, worth every penny when it is downright cold
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

As others have mentioned, the WM brand is worth its weight in . . . . uh . . . 850 fill goose down . . . and it's my go-to winter bag, the Puma.

When it comes to cold weather, you have to make a decision: Do I want something I have to zip up every night to stay warm or something overkill I can use as a quilt 90% of the time?? I dislike getting zipped up tight and mummified---it's constricting--- and so my Puma rated at -15F allows me to use it as an open blanket-quilt most winter nights and yet I have the necessary option to zip up tight when temps hit 0F or -10F.

And going overkill on winter trips is very important as a 0F bag may work at Zero ambients but 6 days into the trip with high cold air humidity the bone dry at-home high lofted 0F bag won't be so dry and lofted. I need that extra -15F rating to keep me cozy and comfy at 0F.

Images

[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;2028301]As others have mentioned, the WM brand is worth its weight in . . . . uh . . . 850 fill goose down . . . and it's my go-to winter bag, the Puma.

When it comes to cold weather, you have to make a decision: Do I want something I have to zip up every night to stay warm or something overkill I can use as a quilt 90% of the time?? I dislike getting zipped up tight and mummified---it's constricting--- and so my Puma rated at -15F allows me to use it as an open blanket-quilt most winter nights and yet I have the necessary option to zip up tight when temps hit 0F or -10F.

And going overkill on winter trips is very important as a 0F bag may work at Zero ambients but 6 days into the trip with high cold air humidity the bone dry at-home high lofted 0F bag won't be so dry and lofted. I need that extra -15F rating to keep me cozy and comfy at 0F.[/QUOTE

Good point, I agree, a few days of moisture on a down bag lowers the rating.

I was looking at a Pumalite. I'm thinking if selling my first born to finance it. I

Pleased descibe your 1st born and how much you want. Would you consider a trade?

I decided on a Feathered Friends Lark 10 UL over a WM Antelope, although it was a toss up since they're both killer and around the same price. Neither of them are ever sale (FF for sure, since they sell all their gear in house) and for good reason - they don't have to lure customers in.

In any case, I'd suggest getting a bag where you can 1) push the down around in continuous baffles to make it warmer (pushing down to the top) or cooler (to the bottom where you'd sleep on top of it) and 2) put on extra layers or some down clothes (I'd suggest Goosefeetgear for custom items). This will make for a bag that's good for near 0 and up to 40 degrees in comfort. Those were the two major considerations for me since these bags do cost 500+ and versatility/ultralight for a 900+ fill down bag was essential.

I'm thru-hiking the AT NOBO starting in a couple days and I really wanted a bag that would be with me the whole way before I would just use a liner and heat sheet when it gets to be early summer, as well as one that's pretty light. An experiment of sorts, yet I have my bases covered.

Good luck with your search, I know first hand how many variables there are in selecting a bag that's right for the venn-diagram of you, your trip and your budget.

Images

Just an FYI, though FF never seems to, WM bags do go on sale occasionally, though I see none now. Bent Gate in golden CO (bentgate.com, of course) runs them on sale occasionally, and I bought a WM Puma (Tipi's bag) on sale at Moosejaw for 25% off some years ago. If you are patient and want a WM bag, look often.

I agree, FF/WM, tossup on both quality and price. I need a good zero-bag myself (I have the WM -25 Puma and a WM +20 Alpinelite, time for something in-between!).

It's funny but when I got my Puma in 2005 it was not rated to -25F but instead -15F. Considering they are both the same weight, I have to wonder what happened. I would not have gotten a-25F bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's funny but when I got my Puma in 2005 it was not rated to -25F but instead -15F. Considering they are both the same weight, I have to wonder what happened. I would not have gotten a-25F bag.
    And also funny, when I bought mine (2007 perhaps?), it was rated -20 ! Perhaps WM simply realized that they were a tad too conservative earlier on and bumped up to be more competitive.

Testing procedures could become more accurate over time, technology improvements, rating standards, who knows

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++