WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anybody here have experience on the Cohos Trail. Thinking a thru hike is in order

Anybody here have any experience on the Cohos? I think I'm gonna take my two weeks vacation this year and go thru hike the Cohos. Also considering the foothills trail down south. The Logistically the Cohos is easy for me as I live in NH.

Anybody have any experiences they'd like to share?

Regards,
    Fast Fox

You're probably already ahead of me, but just in case, Guthook has a page on the trail from a few years ago. Not a lot of details though. The Friends of the Cohos Trail have a pretty active FaceySpace group https://www.facebook.com/groups/153039451407973/ There is a link there to their latest year end report.

I already have two and three week trips booked for the coming year so adding this one might lead to divorce proceedings, but I hope you'll keep us posted on your planning and maybe a trip report after. From Guthook's description this sounds like my sort of adventure and may have to go on the 2017 calendar
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I've hiked some of it, most notably the Nash stream to Dixville notch section. This turned out to be a pretty easy hike as it was mostly overgrown snowmobile trail. Apparently most of the trail from Dixville notch to the boarder is on ATV trail or road. I'm not too keen on hiking on ATV trail with all the traffic there is now and if you don't get out of the way quick enough they will just run you over.

The highlight is the Kilkenny and Pilot range. The only problem here is there is no reliable water or good tenting sites for a very long way. There's a spring about 1/3d or 1/2 way up Star King. There is water between Middle and South Weeks in the spring, but dries up early in the summer (unless it rains a lot). So, from the spring on Star King all the way to Mt Cabbot, you might not have any water. Actually, finding water is a bit of a problem for much of the Cohos trail.

The other issue is resupply. The small country stores don't have much in the way of backpackers food. Some of them have a grill so you can get a nice hot meal or a sandwich and snacks, but dinners will be a problem. These stores are also a ways off the trail. You'd best plan on using mail drops to the business listed in the guide book. Being reasonably local, I'd just spend a day driving through the state and hiding food catches in 5 gallon plastic buckets, then go back and get them on the drive home.

I've been wanting to do the whole thing, but the Jefferson to Cabbot section has me worried as it would be a very long and difficult hike to do in a day due to the lack of water sources.

In any event, get the latest guide book and maps. Mine are getting a bit dated and probably don't show the Dixville to boarder section accurately any more.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 12-27-2015 at 12:27.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I do need to look into the map more. I, fortunately, have someone willing to meet me halfway through the trail to resupply me and probably go spend a night in a town. They will have a vehicle and therefore can drive pretty much anywhere. Right now, I'm just saying it's going to take 14 days. That would be a slow pace for me, however, in this planning stage I'm being conservative. I only plan on getting a food resupply once. I also plan to hike southbound right when the foliage kicks in. Allthough this trail seems like it's going to require some more time in the preparing stage, I still feel it would be a nice stress free vacation for me, because when push comes to shove, I only need a three hour drive north and when I get there.. I just start walking south till I reach my destination. Doesn't get better than that.

If all goes well, I'll be documenting my hike with an action camera and writing a detailed trail journal for this trip. Because time will be on my side, I'll spend some more time gathering information about my hike to share with you all.

Definitely go SOBO. You don't want to be stuck at the boarder waiting for a ride home. Much easier to arrange for a short notice ride farther south. Mid to late September depending on the type of fall we get. Seriously thinking of doing this myself this coming fall.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I do need to look into the map more. I, fortunately, have someone willing to meet me halfway through the trail to resupply me and probably go spend a night in a town. They will have a vehicle and therefore can drive pretty much anywhere.
    There's a donation based hostel in Lancaster, about 10 miles west from the trail crossing on RT2 in Jefferson. They regularly shuttle hikes from there to Gorham, so they pass right by. There's a good Irish pub across the street from the hostel too Jefferson is about half way. An option to keep in mind if your ride can't make it when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

So, from the spring on Star King all the way to Mt Cabbot

The other issue is resupply. The small country stores don't have much in the way of backpackers food. Some of them have a grill so you can get a nice hot meal or a sandwich and snacks, but dinners will be a problem. These stores are also a ways off the trail. You'd best plan on using mail drops to the business listed in the guide book. Being reasonably local, I'd just spend a day driving through the state and hiding food catches in 5 gallon plastic buckets, then go back and get them on the drive home.

I've been wanting to do the whole thing, but the Jefferson to Cabbot section has me worried as it would be a very long and difficult hike to do in a day due to the lack of water sources.
    There's plenty of water between Jefferson and Cabot. Suggest you look at a map. There also a stream in the col between North Weeks and Terrace. There are also plenty of tent sites. Well not prepared ones, but you are allowed to backcountry camp in the White Mountain National Forest. Check the regulations. Things gets harder though when you leave the Forest, since most of the northern half of the Cohos is on lumber company and private land where camping is not permitted and they eat people who break the law.

Hope that helps.

AT 2012

i've done the most travelled section, from the mount washington hotel south... and really liked having an alternative white mountain experience. what a treat to be off the AT! i do follow the face book trail updates, and it seems like the trail is improving rapidly, with snow mobile trails being replaced by real hiking trails. I think I will be section hiking the most interesting parts of the trail, starting this spring. keep us posted on your experience!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Definitely go SOBO. You don't want to be stuck at the boarder waiting for a ride home. Much easier to arrange for a short notice ride farther south. Mid to late September depending on the type of fall we get. Seriously thinking of doing this myself this coming fall.
    Yupp, SOBO is definitely the direction Ill be walking. Especially because on my last day I can go spend a night in town in the white mtn region and get a ride home the next morning. Thanks for the info, might see you on the traill. I gotta buy the guidebook soon!

Quote Originally Posted by earlylight View Post
    There's plenty of water between Jefferson and Cabot. Suggest you look at a map. There also a stream in the col between North Weeks and Terrace. Hope that helps.
    Then why does my guide book says "Caution: It can be difficult to find adequate water during dry summers in the Kilkenny"? It also says that water at Bunnel and Wilard notch is unreliable. A "dry summer" was definitely the case this year and extended well into the fall. It was getting so bad, I was afraid the stream which supplies water to my cottage would dry up. It was down to a trickle before it started to rain again.

It looks like the only reliable water along here is near Terrace Mountain (which also has a tent site). The water at Cabot is a rain barrel, so that might not be reliable or very good. The next water is at Unknown pond. Water might be found by hiking down the York Pond trail or the Mt Cabot trail at Bunnel notch a ways.

I don't know what "guidebook" you're using. I hike up there frequently. I still suggest you look at a map. Wonderful invention. Reliable water is within easy walking distance.

So a thru-hike of the cohos is on for this fall. Got two weeks vacation and plan on spending it on the trail. Time to start preparing. For those of you with more experience than I, is the Cohos terrain and environment similar to the "woodsy" sections of the white mountains. I'm assuming the trail will be fairly similar to the Long Trail of Vermont.

I'm thinking my hammock setup will prob be best over a ground setup. I know there are two or three shelters, but I'll be camping out anyways. 20 degree set of quilts and my warm clothes in the pack.

Cant freaking wait.

And when I say fairy similar to the LT, i'm talking terrain, not logistics. Meaning you typically have better luck with a hammock than finding a flat spot for a good ground camp. Not many primitive campsites around and such.

I'm about to order the newest guidebook and maps as well because i made the cognitive decision to say I'm gonna spend my vacation cursing, I mean, having a blast in the whites lol...

even better news, my good friend who missed out dearly on thru hiking the LT with me, is my hiking partner this time around

Have the last week of September and first week of October off from work. Ordered my Cohos Trail maps and Thru-hiker guide book in the northbound orientation. Turns out, we'll be heading north instead of south.

Dehydrator's also been in full swing for delicious trail snacks and meals fresh from the home garden.

More to come, going to be getting more involved with some planning now that it's right around the corner.

AT 2012

I am really glad you are going now. i'd love to hear how the new guide works, and I'd love to hear about your trail hiking experience. I follow the trail's facebook page and am impressed with their efforts to improve the trail. I've been distracted from the Cohos, and I need a positive report to get me back! Post logistics in advance, please... someone may want to take advantage of a northern terminus pickup!
    Lazarus

I haven't had direct experience with this shuttle service but they seem to have a good reliable reputation http://www.trailangelshikerservices.com/shuttle.html. They are based out of Berlin NH. A shuttle will be quite expensive as its a long haul From Crawford Notch to the Canadian border.

Please note that the Cohos trail is a "black sheep" where it runs through the WMNF due to past issues. No issues with hiking existing trails just realize that they will not be signed or acknowledged as the Cohos trail. It is quite a solitary trail north of RT2 with the exception of day hikers accessing Waumbek and Cabot.

ATVs are the new economic engine for the north country of NH, there is an extensive trail network in place. The biggest issue to hikers is that they have occasional large events which can really eat up tourist accommodations. The dates to avoid are August 6 and 7 and Sept 23,24,25th

Thanks for the info, ill do a video overview of the map and guide soon

Great. Keenly interested in this one.

I'd be interested in knowing what the current state of sharing parts of the trail with ATV's above Dixeville Notch is.

I just completed a SOBO hike of the Cohos a few days ago. I'd done it NOBO back in 2009. My logistics were pretty simple: I left my car at the Davis Path trailhead and when I finished I hitched back to my car (down Rt. 3 to 302). It took me about 6 hours, including maybe 8 - 10 miles of road walking and a break where a nice guy working on his house, who saw me walking and hitching, invited me in for a sandwich and coffee. I didn't do any significant resupply between Jefferson and Young's Store in Pittsburg - though I did pick up some calories at the soda machine and Camp Store at Coleman State Park.

I think a hammock is better for the trip. I used a hammock in 2009, and a tent this time.

I wasn't bothered by the ATVs - though there are plenty of them out and about, especially above Coleman State Park. I just waved at all of them.

On the whole the Cohos Trail handles water better than in 2009, but there are still areas - especially snowmobile trails with tall grasses that can be very wet, marshy and muddy. I'll post a link when I get get my trail journal up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++