WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best ultralight pack for a Baltoro user?

I use the Gregory Baltoro currently, I love the extra support it gives. A REI employee told me I'm spoiled with support, he said I will have trouble moving to an ultralight pack because nothing will match in comfort. I've been looking at ULA and Z packs. I was wondering what ultralight pack has the thickest padding, best suspension and over all best support. I'd be ok with a slightly heavier pack if it means added comfort. My baltoro is about 5 pounds empty. I'm looking to drop to at least 3 pounds empty. I like ULA but I have no way to try one on, so I don't know how it compares. Any suggestions?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

What's the weight of the stuff in your pack? That's the key question. if you're carrying 50 lbs. in the Gregory, no UL pack will be comfortable or even really capable of carrying your stuff. If you can get your total weight down to less than 15 lbs. or so, then a ULA pack or the equivalent will probably be fine.

Ultralight packs are meant for ultralight loads. Drop the weight of your gear before you get a lightweight pack.

Images

Not ultralight, but I cut a couple of pounds off with a new Osprey Volt 75. I really love the hip belts and it fits me very well. I liked it so well, I bought a back-up one. It's slightly smaller than my JanSport, but I've downsized a LOT and my stuff fits well.

I don't like the hip belt pockets - haven't found a use for them yet. I'm worried about the stretchy mesh material for the side and back "pockets", but I have hopes. Doesn't matter - everything fits and will be in Zip-locs anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Mens-Vo...ds=osprey+volt

Blue is $50 cheaper for some reason. Of course, I already got my green ones.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I hike with a baltoro,and decided to try something lighter.I went with an osprey exos 58....I did not like the way it hurt my shoulders and then when I transferred to my hips it hurt there,,,but I carry 35 pounds with food for 5 days and 2 liters of water,I felt the pack was a little flimsy for me,,,all the straps are about a quarter of an inch to 3 /8 ths.....a great pack for 25 pounds or less I would think If you are careful with your gear...the baltoro is bombproof and comfortable....I would shave the 3 pounds elsewhere,,,,just my opinion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerJ View Post
    .... I like ULA but I have no way to try one on, so I don't know how it compares. Any suggestions?
    You could indeed try a ULA, just buy one and return if you don't like it. all it would cost you is the return postage.

When I bought my ULA OHM 2.0, I couldn't decide between that and the Circuit, so I called ULA and the guy (Chris?) told me to simply buy both and return one. Both came in one single box, so after I compared them side-by-side for a couple days, I simply returned the Circuit in the same box, and got a prompt refund. Sure, he did charge me for both initially, but that is to be expected. He even sent a pre-paid mailing slip, so in my case, the return postage (UPS, actually) was free.

If you are used to a good suspension, I do recommend the Circuit, better suspension than the OHM, but of course heavier by about 10-11 ounces. My base is 9-10 pounds or so, so the OHM 2.0 was fine for me.

Before I bought the ULA, I was an Osprey fan, and still own/use a larger one (Aether 75) for winter backpacking. I gave both my old Osprey Atmos (50L) and Exos (46L) away (to my son and his GF), as I never see any need to use them again.

If you want the suspension of the Baltoro in a lighter pack, look no further than the Six Moon Designs Fusion 50. It's 3lbs but the way it handles the load, the weight of the pack is insignificant. You won't find a suspension like the Baltoro in a 2lb pack. You may find close, but it won't be the same. The Fusion 50 is the closest you'll get, and in my opinion, far better than the Baltoro.

Six Moons Designs has a new line that look pretty cool, and are extremely light. I own three of the older ones and have been very happy with loads under 30 lbs.

Thanks for the responses, I'm looking into the six moons designs pack that was mentioned. My weight on my last 5 day trip was 36 pounds with food an water, assuming I drop some pounds elsewhere before the appalachian trip I'm hoping to keep my bag under 30 at least. Hoping to for 25 but money is a problem, I finally have my money for the trail saved, so what I make in the next 2.5 months will be towards gear.

Contact Seek Outside. Google knows how to find them. 3 pound (+ or -) packs. The carrying capacity exceeds what mortals are willing to carry.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

https://store.seekoutside.com

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by paule View Post
    If you are careful with your gear...the baltoro is bombproof and comfortable....I would shave the 3 pounds elsewhere,,,,just my opinion.
    With that anchor you must not go very far each day. Or if you do, you are a beast, congrats.

This is a dilemma which may take a few bucks to sort out. For the past couple of years I have used an external frame pack. Not cool I know but not really much heavier than many internal packs and lighter than a few. I really liked the pack off my back for air flow and it never left me sore. For my thru hike I really wanted to go lighter so looked at ULA and Zpacks, the Haul specifically. I don't have it yet, just ordered. So I can't recommend it but wanted to pass on my reasons. It is light, rated to carry a max of 40lbs and has what is basically an external frame that holds the pack off my back. If not for that last part, I would have ordered a ULA to give it a try. Hope you find what you want.

Images

[QUOTE=scrabbler;2028016]With that anchor you must not go very far each day. Or if you do, you are a beast, congrats.[/QUOTE thank you

++ New Posts ++