WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Longchuan View Post
    Just an update. So far 7 of us, that I know of, started the thru hike attempt on Jan 1st. Most of us are pushing for Neel's gap tomorrow. The weather has been really really nice so far. First rain coming up in 5 days from now.
    Yes, some nice cool but sunny weather for the next several days.

I did not see any of the Thru hikers today but I did see someone who stayed with a few of them last night at Gooch Shelter. Was told one of them was carrying a 120lb pack. I hope he gets things figured out quickly.

-

3 on TJ from this group - would be entertaining to hear details of this 120 lb packer

the 2 I recall are wyoming skateboarder that was about 75-80 lbs and I believe finished and Coup (golite owner) who started a stunt trip with over a 100 (mostly food) - my memory is that it lasted less than a week

Would be fun to guess what's in a 120# pack.
    I remember 2 guys in the 100 mile wilderness one year who were each over 100.
    When asked, one of them had: a half gallon of milk (liquid form) and 4 books.
    That's about all I remember (was in '95 I believe)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

In this day and age, I'd think he has at least an Ipad or tablet, if not a laptop.
    And power supplies to keep em working.
    Maybe a spot?

Or else, I've seen people carrying enough water for 3 days, and food for 2 weeks down there in GA already.

Yeah, hopefully they learn quickly.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Ran into a few of you throughs today as my wife and I walked from Woody Gap to Gooch Mountain shelter and back. Good luck to you all! Did not see any 120 lb. packs, or any cast off gear in the woods.

I day hiked out and back between Unicoi Gap and Chattahoochee Gap. Spoke to one person that said they were thru-hiking when I asked. Felt bad; might could have offered him a ride into town. Wasn't anticipating seeing thrus this early, so if i continue to do so, I may get more used to seeing the huge packs, as others have noted. Guess I need to learn that fine line between respecting privacy, and piping up if safety may be of concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stay warm hikers! I hope you have good weather through the Smokies!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Yes, some nice cool but sunny weather for the next several days.

I did not see any of the Thru hikers today but I did see someone who stayed with a few of them last night at Gooch Shelter. Was told one of them was carrying a 120lb pack. I hope he gets things figured out quickly.
    Oh that would be poor Otis... he didn't know what to bring so brought everything... including:
    30 days of food, 6 tanks of fuel, a gallon of water, full jar of sugar, big jar of protein powder, etc...
    His goal is to just finish before katahdin closes. We are all rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    We are going to be cold guys. low of 20s to the 6th. I hope my 12 deg bag and fleece liner hold my heat.
    That's not cold. We carried 0* bags this time last year, and slept in insulated clothes when the temps dipped below zero. Once you reach the Smoky's, and beyond that point is where the cold will still.
    AT15
    OT15

Met one thru hiker at Deep Gap shelter yesterday. He had a couple of people coming up to meet him there also thru-hiking. A SOBO was just leaving the shelter. It was crazy cold up there Sat. night. I slept at Sassafras Gap with some seasoned Winter hikers and they were even talking about how cold it was. One of them said, "My watch read down to 14F and stopped!" My first Winter camp! Wasn't fun but I survived it! I feel for that group heading North.

Quote Originally Posted by Longchuan View Post
    Oh that would be poor Otis... he didn't know what to bring so brought everything... including:
    30 days of food, 6 tanks of fuel, a gallon of water, full jar of sugar, big jar of protein powder, etc...
    His goal is to just finish before katahdin closes. We are all rooting for him.
    Did he also have a bear canister and a pop-up "privacy tent"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet if you really tried and were able to kinda justify it. We could all hit 120 Lb. . 6lb pack, 6lb tent, extra down jacket, 3 cookpots with lids, white gas stove, 1/2 - 1 gal fuel. big flashlight, maybe 2-3, just keep on going.

Well the good news is it looks like he ditched the green propane tanks at least! And also swapped the trash bags for a dry bag.

But I figured he wouldn't do a shakedown just from hearing what he said about wanting to save money and buy it in bulk.

Images

I just got back from a 2 nite trip to do some work at a shelter.A SOBO came in on Tuesday night.He had to get off the trail in VA and is hiking back NOBO to finish.He told me about a couple who started NOBO in November and have only made it to Fontana dam.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++