WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Default Pawling NY winter parking question

Does anyone know for certain if overnight parking is allowed at the N.Y. Rte. 22 trailhead (next to the A.T. train station) in the winter?
    I ask because I know some of the smaller roads in the area have winter parking bans so I'm hoping that the larger road might be a legal option.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

AT 2012

I wouldn't take anyone's word for it - best to find out the police force with jurisdiction and call them. That would also give you a chance to tell them when you were leaving your car there. This has worked well for me in winters past when I've wanted to park roadside. And hello.
    Lazarus

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I wouldn't take anyone's word for it - best to find out the police force with jurisdiction and call them. That would also give you a chance to tell them when you were leaving your car there. This has worked well for me in winters past when I've wanted to park roadside. And hello.
    Well Hello! I will likely have the same question for you about the MLK IV meetup in Harriman, so be forewarned.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Questions can I park overnight for a few days at Wayah Bald AND any shuttles in that area? I want to hike at least the 28-31 with a pick up at 4 or so on the 31. Not sure where yet, but between Stecoah bald and Fontana back to Wayah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Does anyone know for certain if overnight parking is allowed at the N.Y. Rte. 22 trailhead (next to the A.T. train station) in the winter?
    I ask because I know some of the smaller roads in the area have winter parking bans so I'm hoping that the larger road might be a legal option.
    Seems at least one side of 22 (I'm thinking the side opposite the AT train stop) has more of a pull in so that you are not just on the shoulder of the road. More likely that would be useable (since you wouldn't impede road clearing if it snowed) but still not a guarantee. Not sure what town that is in, but since 22 is a NY state route you might check with State Police and they could be able to connect you to the correct group if they don't know.

Images

There is a sizable pull off on both sides of the Route 22 just north on the station. I've seen plenty of hikers park long term there. I used to patrol that area, I knew why the cars were parked there and I didn't bother anyone and kept an eye on things.
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

++ New Posts ++