WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I usually inquire, "Have you seen any wildlife?" Last summer, I asked a couple that question and they calmly replied, "Well, we have seen two bears." I responded, "Where?" They said, "One was back there about a mile and the other is right behind you."
    I had this happen to in SNP right next to Elk Wallow Picnic area. Here's the set up, I was hiking SOBO, and going up hill, a couple coming down steps to each side of the trail. As I pass between them, I start to laugh and say "Jeez, I feel just like Moses". They laugh and wish me a good hike, I do not even break stride. I hike along and about an hour and a half later, here is the same couple just inside the tree line of the Elk Wallow Picnic area. I stop and ask, didn't I pass you a while ago. They laugh and say yes and explain they are out doing an annual chestnut tree count. They explain that they live in Front Royal and come up to the park frequently. Just then the husband says, if you turn around there is a deer right behind you. Then the wife says we usually see a few bears during our count but this year we haven't seen any. I then say like the one coming up behind you and I nod downslope. The young bear was cruising just in the woods from the picnickers who were oblivious to its presence.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    I like to get the formalities out of the way. I'll usually start a trailside chat with "your doing it wrong".
    So that was YOU I passed a few weeks ago!

If they do more than just keep hiking after my "hey, how's it going?", I might ask them if they are suffering as much as I am. This leads to a discussion of how suffering builds character. I then opine that the more I suffer, the more of a character I become. Can you dig it?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

How the hail are you!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Howdy Pilgrim

If it's not John Wayne then just a nod I suppose

Be sure to get his limp down pat. If you just finished a big downhill, ya may already have the limp down pat 😊

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Images

Most times when crossing I offer time or distance to their next good water and keep moving. i.e. Water 1 mile, or snake 10 min, or if lucky I get to say, view in a few then smile and trudge...

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    If they do more than just keep hiking after my "hey, how's it going?", I might ask them if they are suffering as much as I am. This leads to a discussion of how suffering builds character. I then opine that the more I suffer, the more of a character I become. Can you dig it?
    you, my friend, would be THE definition of a character...
    Lazarus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++