WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Cool! Is that my new trail name?
    There is already a DrRichardCranium on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    There is already a DrRichardCranium on this forum.
    Is there a set limit of richard craniums on this forum?

In other news, web bull plugged the "hack", no more scooping updates, i guess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NHGreg View Post
    Well that doesn't look good. Is he toast at this point? How can you come back from a 23 mile day this late in the game?
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Well that doesn't look good. Is he toast at this point? How can you come back from a 23 mile day this late in the game?
    That was factored into the last round of numbers... so don't butter that toast just yet.

That mileage is from Sunday. At this point he's still okay if he can maintain the 50 or so miles he's punching out on every good day.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Is there a set limit of richard craniums on this forum?

In other news, web bull plugged the "hack", no more scooping updates, i guess.
    There is no limit to the number of Richard Craniums one may encounter on any forum...
    However with no masters degree in the subject "Dr." may be out.

May I suggest Grand Richard Cranium? Though my much missed and seemingly absent from this record attempt pappy, Lone Wolf, may have a better claim to that name.

Images

Good luck to him.....any sightings ? will he go thru Damascus saturday ? or ?

Go Speed Goat
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

That 23 mile day shows just how important getting some decent sleep is. Sounds like he won't be able to do the no sleep / naps only thing Jurek finished with. And I agree with the posters above that a 100 mile day on that terrain, as worn down as he is, is not likely at all to happen. He may be able to skip sleep the last night and put together an extended day and a half, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steger View Post
    Good luck to him.....any sightings ? will he go thru Damascus saturday ? or ?

Go Speed Goat
    I haven't seen him since Sunday, but my guess is around noon on Friday.

Images

As far as the final day push which keeps getting mentioned, there is something magical about "smelling the barn" as you get close to the finish of any event. If he remains healthy-ish Karl will get a small boost in energy and enthusiasm as he gets close to Springer.

In regard to his occasional sub-par mileage day, the number of days available to make up for another poor day is getting pretty low at this point. If he was short by 20 miles in a given day, he'd have to add around 2 miles per day to his average over the remaining days to make up for it.

At this point, barring any further injury, I'm betting he breaks the record with a finish around 45 days 22 hours...it's as good a number as any.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

After hiking that many miles... I think I could sleep on about any flat surface. I would think his crew hiked all the necessary gear up the Andy "forget the name" Trail.

The lady trying to break Anish's record posted pics at the Captain's. Almost to Pearisburg. Not sure when she has to finish by... but she aint to far behind Karl and seems to be in good shape.

Images

Unreal Human efforts...........they have all of my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Unreal Human efforts...........they have all of my respect.
    pretty much this ^

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    After hiking that many miles... I think I could sleep on about any flat surface. I would think his crew hiked all the necessary gear up the Andy "forget the name" Trail.

The lady trying to break Anish's record posted pics at the Captain's. Almost to Pearisburg. Not sure when she has to finish by... but she aint to far behind Karl and seems to be in good shape.

What's the name of the women going for Anish's record? And where can we follow that?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    What's the name of the women going for Anish's record? And where can we follow that?
    If it were worth following youd know about it.
    A few dreamers an wannabes out there.

Google fkt proboards appalachian trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-09-2016 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

One can sometimes learn more looking at failed attempts than successful ones. All of them are worth looking into or following if one has an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    http://www.hikeforourlives.org/
    Kaiha Bertollini is her name.

Haven't personally gotten into much of the details but broadstrokes seems she did a NOBO hike already and is now on the SOBO leg of a yo-yo. Her goal was 90 days on the return trip with the extra carrot/hope of chasing Anish.
    I wouldn't blow her off as a dreamer as she seems more to have stated a dream than the more typical declaration of impending conquerment of the pitiful trail or similar previous outlandish ass-kicking claims.

Roughly- looks like she covered half the trail in 30 days on the SOBO leg so far but again... didn't dig into this too deeply as it's a bit confusing and jumbled to piece together the FKT part- which is really an aside to the main story.

My cousin has a similar tale to hers from her time in the Air Force and exposure to this issue seems the primary goal.

Regardless of a serious challenge to Anish's time or not...
    On an FKT level- might be a yo-yo record in there but I have no idea how long her NOBO was even if that doesn't shake out.
    On a personal level- seems like an open hearted woman sharing a journey of recovery that resonates with many people She shares in a style very similar to Heather's heartfelt and open posts from her PCT hike.

Best to her on both efforts as they are equally massive accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

First think i did, but unless i'm just being slow i couldn't see anything. There was that mountaintrotterkalak who's gone quite now, and Jukebox who's starting today.

Images

I found this interesting in what a day is like for Karl: http://www.irunfar.com/2016/09/a-day...d-attempt.html
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++