WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    1. Heather "Anish" Anderson 54 days 7 hours 48 minutes (2015) ~42 miles/day
    2. Matt Kirk 58 days 9 hours 40 minutes (2013)
    And this is "Unsupported", Right ? Very Impressive !
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Horton posted 30 minutes ago that Karl was 70 miles from the finish. I wonder if he's got 5am on his radar because that would put "45 days" on the record. Don't know what kind of night's sleep he got but that would make for an impressive finish and an exclamation mark.

As for future record attempts, I think Barkley finishers would do well. Someone like Jared Campbell or Brett Maune. There's already a precedent with Horton and Andrew. I wonder if most of the elite runners would get out there and have the kind of realization Scott and Karl had (and were able to overcome). Maybe less so since there's more info now about how gnarly the trail is. As Karl says, the AT is totally different from anything out west. Elite runners have the physical attributes, no question, but they'd have to have a paradigm shift and settle into going 3.5 miles an hour. And go without showers. Runners love their showers.

As for Scott, yeah, I think the crowds slowed him down. But for those that follow ultras, it's a little like Killian chilling for 10 minutes at the top of a pass on Hard Rock. On paper it's costing them time, but it can be rejuvenating in the long run (no pun intended). He also had a lot of support and he needed it to make up for the fact that he'd never set foot on the AT before. I think Jenny did an incredible job of holding it all together. And in the end, his other worldly talent and mental toughness carried him through.

The supported record is held by Scott Jurek: 46 days 8 hours 7 minutes (2015) [NOBO]
    don't think anybody will ever beat the jurek's NOBO record

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    Horton posted 30 minutes ago that Karl was 70 miles from the finish.
    That would be 9:08 this morning which would be 1 day 3 hours 59 min left. Lets just call it 28 hours left. 70 miles out from Springer is Dicks Creek (mi 69.6). With no sleep Karl will have to keep a 2.5 mph pace to tie the record. With 4 hours sleep tonight he'll have to keep a 2.91 mph to tie the record.

I hope his support crew is aware that getting to Coopers Gap can be a bit tricky. Ron Brown has picked me up there and dropped me off there before. He told me that when he first started shuttling it took him days to figure out how to get there coming in from the west. Having ridden out and back in there on those dirt roads myself with Ron I know what he means.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    don't think anybody will ever beat the jurek's NOBO record
    Jurek's record is mighty impressive and it would take a PERFECT hike to beat his time.
    That's the silver lining for Scott, even if Karl beats his overall time, Jurek still has the NOBO record.

On the flip side, Jen's SOBO record is now #2.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    And this is "Unsupported", Right ? Very Impressive !
    Correct, that is unsupported.

Jurek's record is mighty impressive and it would take a PERFECT hike to beat his time.
    That's the silver lining for Scott, even if Karl beats his overall time, Jurek still has the NOBO record.

Considering how niche this is, is there really a need to sub divide records past the supported/unsupported point? I feel like then it's just gonna end up with 8 more meaningless records for M/F, Supported/Unsupported, and NOBO/SOBO.

Correct, that is unsupported.
    What is the definition of unsupported? Does that mean walking to town for resupply? Using Shuttles? Having a team at road crossing with supplies?

Not yet. Karl's still gotta finish.

Has anyone seen Karl Meltzer...? He's mere miles and hours away from setting the new record. Current location, aside from the daily Instagram posts, are scarce!!

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    What is the definition of unsupported? Does that mean walking to town for resupply? Using Shuttles? Having a team at road crossing with supplies?
    I think it's generally accepted to be following the guidelines set out by Scott Williamson during his PCT hike

• Walk into and out of resupply towns to purchase or pick up prepacked and mailed supplies.
    • Hike as a backpacker, carrying all food and equipment between resupply towns.
    • Follow the official AT route, no detours, road walks or alternates of any kind.
    • Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner.
    • Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the attempt.
    • Honestly and thoroughly document the attempt.
    • Practice Leave-No-Trace ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Here are the basic guidelines for a unsupported FKT that were laid out by Matt Kirk who was the unspported record holder until last year when Anish broke the record.

+Walk into and out of towns to purchase supplies, no mail drops.
    +Hike as a backpacker, carry all food and gear between towns.
    +Do not accept planned or unplanned support or trail magic.
    +Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the hike.
    +Follow official FNST route currently open to hikers.
    +Respect other trail users, practice LNT ethics.
    +Honestly and thoroughly document the hike.

and can be found here

Karl and Scott ran supported hikes.

Images

[QUOTE=Chair-man;2092974]Here are the basic guidelines for a unsupported FKT that were laid out by Matt Kirk who was the unspported record holder until last year when Anish broke the record.

As a Backpacker those two seem counter to each other - Backpacking and trail magic these days seem to go together.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Just speculating now but here's how I see how it might play out. If Karl keeps a 3 mph today he should arrive at Neels around 9 pm tonight. At that point I doubt his crew will let him continue on. He'll take 3 - 4 hours to eat and sleep then get started again around 12 or 1 am. But who knows, he might have so much adrenaline going at this point that he just blows thru Neels Gap. Good thing there's almost a full moon going on right now.

Also, following the white blazes painted on the rock slabs on top of Blood Mt can be tricky at night. I hope someone is with him there.

Actually, Unsupported means you have everything you need for the entire hike with you at the beginning, including all your food and fuel. Water can be collected from natural sources. This is obviously not possible for the AT. This applies to shorter hikes, such as the JMT.

What is done on the AT is Self Supported. You stop and get resupplied en route, but you do that on your own with no assistance.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co.../19/read-first

Journal Entries

Hiker Hostel's Facebook page has a photo of Karl and Scott. Not sure where the photo was taken but...the barn is close!
    hikers gonna hike

[QUOTE=Furlough;2092991]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Here are the basic guidelines for a unsupported FKT that were laid out by Matt Kirk who was the unspported record holder until last year when Anish broke the record.

As a Backpacker those two seem counter to each other - Backpacking and trail magic these days seem to go together.
    To clarify: chair man copy-pasted the guide lines I used on my Florida Trail (FNST) attempt in December 2015, which (by design) were more restrictive than the guide lines I followed on the AT in 2013 http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About, which were (arguably) more restrictive than the guide lines followed by Anish (regarding documentation/proof). Is your head spinning yet? Anyway, as already pointed out many pages back, such discussion is better suited for another thread.

[QUOTE=matthew.d.kirk;2093011]
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post

To clarify: chair man copy-pasted the guide lines I used on my Florida Trail (FNST) attempt in December 2015, which (by design) were more restrictive than the guide lines I followed on the AT in 2013 http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About, which were (arguably) more restrictive than the guide lines followed by Anish (regarding documentation/proof). Is your head spinning yet? Anyway, as already pointed out many pages back, such discussion is better suited for another thread.
    Thanks for clearing that up Matt

Just heard passed Unicoi Gap around 1:30

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++