WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I think hiker respect self supported more.
    I can't agree with this more. Yes, I admire the pure race aspect of runners but the purity of self supported gains more respect from me. YMMV HYOH

For all that had informative posts about this subject, Thank you! I didn't know near as much as I do after reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Anish is a class act all the way - her self supported record is The Record.
    Amen. Perhaps runners are more comfortable with supported efforts and backpackers with unsupported. Either way is demanding and admirable. As a backpacker I am more excited by Anish's feat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Any word on Speedgoat Karl Meltzer attempting the AT speed record this year?

I hold one of the slowest records for doing the AT: 40 years and 4 months.

I wouldn't have it any other way. The slower you go, the more memories you get.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    And the whole world will be watching the celebration on top of Katadyn....
    Where is his go fund me site to help pay for the fine for the celebration.

Images

I just saw this on Karl's twitter, which indicates an early August start date?!?

Speedgoat Karl@Speedgoatkarl May 5Midvale, UT
    3 months till post time....exactly. 2188 miles is not that far @HOKAONEONE @redbull

He also posted on facebook today that he's going to have support from Jurek at some point.

I know some folks here don't like the record attempts, but I for one hope he is wearing a spot type device so we can follow his journey this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post

I know some folks here don't like the record attempts, but I for one hope he is wearing a spot type device so we can follow his journey this summer.
    the "some folks here" that don't like it can stick it. this forum is about records

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the "some folks here" that don't like it can stick it. this forum is about records
    Yep! It absolutely boggles my simple mind why people in the speed hiking forum bad-mouth these record attempts, or brag about how slow they go and claim their way is better. THIS IS A SPPED HIKING FORUM! Go Karl!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I was going to post that reminder...

Please refer to this sticky before posting an anti-speed hiking sentiment.

The Trail Issues forum is a better place to bring up your "concerns"...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Some posts here are reminiscent of the riduclous negative endless loop debating of the merits of UL backpacking on the UL Forum or inappropriate rude posts on the Woman's Forum. Don't like the topic, can't abide by the Sticky, can't adhere to specific Forum rules don't post in these Forums.

Since the thread is "speed hiking", it seems to me discussion on the differences of unofficial records set by unassisted speed hiking and assisted running would not be out of line. Both seem to have developed a place in the culture and will likely increase as more and more runners decide to tackle the feat. Not running down one over the other, frankly I don't much care how people spend their time but there are differences between the two that are legitimate discussion.

For what it's worth, I think it's pretty cool. I know when I tried to thru hike, that was really hard on me and I ended up throwing in the towel about 1/3 of the way though (until next years re-attempt ). Can't imagine the planning, training, and effort that goes into a speed record attempt over this type of terrain. Not really my thing (mainly because there's no way I could do it). Good luck and hope he makes it. I met a guy on my attempt last year that was trying to do the entire trail in 63 days or something like that. Everyone in the shelter (we were in the Smokies), wished him good luck and not 1 person rolled an eye at him. That's what it's about folks, teamwork no matter how fast or slow you go.
    - Trail name: Thumper

The standard should be LNT. Do whatever you want out there if you do it within the ethics of LNT.

Journal Entries

Hope he fails.

Cause if he succeeds us older guys cant use age as an excuse so much anymore.

In all seriousness it will be entertaining to follow.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-18-2016 at 13:45.

Journal Entries
    Images

I went to high school with one guy who ended up being an ultra-runner. Can't say as I'd ever want to put myself through such torment, but to each his own hike/run/stumble. I do like living in a world where there are souls chuggy enough to even attempt stuff like this. Great good luck to you, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ... and Jurek will be crewing. Just read it today. Can't get any better than that!

I hope he does it -- I still have a Speed Goat decal on my truck.

http://www.runnersworld.com/year-in-...n-trail-record

For those unfamiliar with Speed Goat: http://karlmeltzer.com/

Images

If we concur on the "philosophy" of HYOH then this is great stuff, and personally, I think that its totally amazing being able to do 46 miles per day or more on the AT. For those of us who have been out there, my average is 12-13 and it is ROUGH MILES most days.

Heading to NH and Maine in a few weeks, Franconia to Rangely, 10 MPD target which will be hard I am certain of it. THINK ABOUT 5X THAT EFFORT.

This is really impressive human endeavor.

Honestly, much of the trail is rather mundane, wish that my old 57 year old body and bones could travel faster in certain areas.

Speaking of golf, ahem, Karl broke the 12 hour speed golf record the othe day. 230 holes in 12 hours covering 100k.

He is one fit dude!

Karl came through Roanoke a couple of months ago and took a little time to do a Q&A at a local running store. He's definitely planning for an August start (IIRC, that was partly because he's the RD for his ultra in July, partly for the cooler weather).

I'm thru hiking right now. Having suffered thru GA, I think it's amazing and a testiment to the physical ability it takes to put in such an effort.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Looking to break the record that isn't a record seems like a broken record at times....
    Come again?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++