WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Texas - Sam Houston National Forest - Mid-February 3-Day Trip

Hey all, I'll be in Texas for business in mid-February, and I figured while I'm in the area, why not enjoy the mild weather with a few days in the national forest?

I'm looking a buddy or two for a few nights in the Sam Houston National Forest, outside of Houston.

Here's the tentative plan, based on these maps from lonestartrail: http://lonestartrail.org/maps.html
    • Friday 2/12 - 7 Miles - Arrive in the late morning at Trailhead 3, hike along the Lone Star Hiking Trail, turn off onto Little Lake Creek Loop Trial, to the ponds near M15 for night 1
    • Saturday 2/13 - 13 Miles - Go to a water source near Trailhead 2. Could turn north for a half mile to camp along the pond, or could turn south to camp along the creek near M04.
    • Sunday 2/14 - 6 Miles - Back to Trailhead 3 for a late morning arrival back at the car. Gotta fly out of Houston that afternoon / evening.

I've never been to Houston so I'm flying blind here. If any of you have recommendations for other routes, let me know, but this one jumped out at me as a good option. If there are a few of us we could also do a point to point hike.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

Images

I got a friend down there who I thru-hiked with back in 2009... great guy. If you send me your email address, I'll pass it his way and see if y'all can come up with a game plan?
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

You do know that East Texas is SOGGY! You might want to check with the Lone Star Trail group for trail conditions.
    Have a great time.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I live in Houston and have a farm in East Texas (fairly close the Sam). Please let me know if you need any local Intel or anything else. That time of year could be as cold as you could imagine and it could be 60 degrees or it could be both. It's wet that time of year, it's wet now, don't let that scare you away.

I am am planning on doing a shake down hike in January on LST.

I live close the trail and would be interested in joining you. I need to try out some new gear before I hit the AT again this spring.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Nice, great advice! Thanks for the suggestions.

It seems like it'll be wet. I've had all my big shakedown trips be relatively dry (nothing more than a brief rain shower), so that'll actually be good experience dealing with wet gear.

The Phoenix, I'll shoot you a message - would love to get your friend's input if you can connect us via email. Always good to meet thru-hikers and get their perspective.

Any and all are welcome to join, just let me know on this page and I'll shoot you a message. I did a 4-day trip in Wisconsin a month ago with 9 backpackers of all ages that I had never met and had a blast. Group trips are fun.
    --

I was just there this past thanksgiving! The trail was pretty well marked and the guide from their website was very useful. Although there were some mud, I didn't have too much problem.

Journal Entries

Default Lone Star trail

[QUOTE=2000miler;2026006]Hey all, I'll be in Texas for business in mid-February, and I figured while I'm in the area, why not enjoy the mild weather with a few days in the national forest?

Howdy,

I have hiked over 1/2 the Lonestar (90 miles) It will be a great hike in Feb as the cold will keep the bugs away.
    Pay very close attention to water availability & quality. some identified waters have pesticide & fertilizer runoff from local farms & homes.
    I have learned to cache water up the trail a day or two hiking distance. tends to relieve the anxiety issue!

have fun!

At the rate Winter is not coming, plan on bugs. More rain today. More on the way. Do you have time to drive 600 miles one way to Big Bend?

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into caching water. Kibs, any recommendations on who I can reach out to for water quality? I planned my site for Night 1 based on the water near M15. If that's contaminated water I may have to rethink my path.

I'm also open to other 3-day, 2-night recommendations in the Houston area - I'll have a rental car and will be able to get anywhere within ~1 hour or so of the city. (Unfortunately, Venchka, no time for a 600 mile trip out to Big Bend!)
    --

Hey 2000miler, I live south of Houston and would be happy to hook up for a hike. Will be thru hiking the AT the latter part of March, need to do some gear checking...

I emailed the Lone Star Trail group who takes care of the website for their advice, and here's what Cathy said. Sounds like there are options if it's too wet down the Little Lake Creek Loop Trail. I'll just have to play it by ear until the week before, and set a plan then.

--

The second pond (Bluebell pond) near LLCLoop Mile 15 is down an unmarked side trail. Watch for unofficial side trail (may be marked with ribbon). Here is gps point N30.48200 W95.66995. It is a pretty spot and water will be filterable. The pond just north of TH 2 is also a pretty camping spot with reliable water.

Little Lake Creek Loop East and South can be very wet. Check recent rain levels and forecasts. If much rain suggest you start at TH # 1 (higher and dryer) http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/...ess_shaded.pdf and hike down the LLCL to camp at the pretty pond at the bottom of the Sand Branch Loop (6 miles). Day 2 head north 0.7 mile to the LSHT, travel east then north to the North Wilderness Loop, head west on North Wilderness, then up to camp at the pretty pond just north of TH 2 (another 6 miles). The next day will be short out to TH 1 but you could explore around to add extra miles.
    --

What passes for winter in Houston finally arrived over the weekend. Rain Friday. Clearing & pretty & cool & windy Saturday & Sunday. Today is perfect. 36 F when I pulled into work about 6:30 this morning.
    Hope you have a great hike.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by 2000miler View Post
    Hey all, I'll be in Texas for business in mid-February, and I figured while I'm in the area, why not enjoy the mild weather with a few days in the national forest?

I'm looking a buddy or two for a few nights in the Sam Houston National Forest, outside of Houston.

Here's the tentative plan, based on these maps from lonestartrail: http://lonestartrail.org/maps.html

Friday 2/12 - 7 Miles - Arrive in the late morning at Trailhead 3, hike along the Lone Star Hiking Trail, turn off onto Little Lake Creek Loop Trial, to the ponds near M15 for night 1
    Saturday 2/13 - 13 Miles - Go to a water source near Trailhead 2. Could turn north for a half mile to camp along the pond, or could turn south to camp along the creek near M04.
    Sunday 2/14 - 6 Miles - Back to Trailhead 3 for a late morning arrival back at the car. Gotta fly out of Houston that afternoon / evening.

I've never been to Houston so I'm flying blind here. If any of you have recommendations for other routes, let me know, but this one jumped out at me as a good option. If there are a few of us we could also do a point to point hike.
    I did the LST a few years ago. Seems like the begining section ("Wilderness") and the end ("Winters Bayou") were the muddiest. I did Little Lake Loop and it was pretty muddy, too. I you wanted to do a point-to-point, I think I'd start at Trailhead#3 and go to Trailhead#7 Huntsville. That's about 30 miles, right?

Actually, the swampy sections aren't that big a problem, provided the trail isn't closed altogether. There are board walks across the worst parts, and most of the creeks have bridges.

They say to not drink the water, but I can't imagine that one trip would kill you. Just the same, I cached my water on that trip. Most of the creeks are seasonal and the water is pretty muddy.

If you want to do a point-to-point and don't mind an old guy slowing you down, count me in. It'll give me a chance to try out my new Lightheart Solo (assuming it gets here in time!)

Harrison Bergeron - I definitely wouldn't mind doing a point to point, assuming I had someone else coming with me who could drop a car.

Since you hiked the LST, what were your favorite sections? If I'm not handicapped by needing to do a loop or an out-and-back, that'd really open up the options.
    --

++ New Posts ++