WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where's the Next Shelter?

Where's the Next Shelter is a new book written by a 2014 thru hiker named Green Giant (Gary Sizer). I know there is a multitude of books, movies and youtube series about hiking the AT and I have read/watched many of them. But this story stands out from the others. Bill Bryson aint got nuthin on Gary Sizer! Green Giant not only has a knack for transporting the reader in great detail along his journey while keeping an interesting perspective and comical edge but he does an excellent job of focusing on one of the most important aspects of the AT; the social experience.

I had the pleasure of sharing the trail with Green Giant (and few of the other characters from this journey) for a week around the NOC last year. He is not only an awesome person but a great writer as well. He has not asked me to endorse his book or blog, although I did ask his permission before making this post. I just want people to know about the book! I encourage everyone to read it!

Green Giant will be on a "mini tour" around the SouthEast talking about his book and providing a clinic called "nuts and bolts". Keep in touch with his blog if interested in attending one of the clinics! Congrats Green Giant on your accomplishments!

http://www.wheresthenextshelter.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Next-Sh...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Some of you also might recognize Green Giant from his before and after pictures that went viral. Apparently 3 million internet users have seen Green Giant in his skimpies, and now you can too!

http://www.actionhub.com/news/2014/1...an-trail-trek/

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Hey, if you know the author, tell him to post a sample of the book on his webpage or the Amazon page. There are way too many hiking memoirs out there for me to buy a book without seeing a sample of the writing first. I've been burned by good reviews before.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Hey, if you know the author, tell him to post a sample of the book on his webpage or the Amazon page. There are way too many hiking memoirs out there for me to buy a book without seeing a sample of the writing first. I've been burned by good reviews before.

There's a "look inside" button right above the picture of the book on amazon. You can read the first chapter there. Hope this helps!

Images

excellent! I read the beginning (be clicking the preview link) and I already like it, so for 3 bucks, sold! I can't get enough of these accounts, thanks for the tip.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    There's a "look inside" button right above the picture of the book on amazon. You can read the first chapter there. Hope this helps!
    Ah. For some reason it wasn't there the first time I checked the page.

I enjoyed it. Made me laugh a few times. Got the feeling he was telling it like it was and not just inventing things to write about. Focuses on the many of the folks he met along the way, which is what i like to read about.

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutTree View Post
    I enjoyed it. Made me laugh a few times. Got the feeling he was telling it like it was and not just inventing things to write about. Focuses on the many of the folks he met along the way, which is what i like to read about.

I totally agree with you! How did you come across the book?

I bought this book on Kindle. I am not going to say the price but much lower than I expected. This guy is a really entertaining writer. I am way behind on today's work because I can't put it down.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I bought this book on Kindle. I am not going to say the price but much lower than I expected. This guy is a really entertaining writer. I am way behind on today's work because I can't put it down.

Carl

Yes!! I told yall it was a good one!

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I'm sure it is an interesting read, but the foul language lost me in the 3rd paragraph.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You can get a good sample thru Kindle.

Its a good read

Hi everyone! I'm the author, so first I want to say thanks for looking! My friend Blue Indian told me he posted here and I've been meaning to say hi for a while now. I also help moderate a good sized AT forum, so between the book and kicking off hiking season, this spring has been busy!

One of the things I wanted to do when writing Where's the Next Shelter? was to share the experience of the long distance hike, without all of the inevitable monotony that comes from putting one foot in front of the other five million times. I wanted to tell the story, not just give a detailed report. It's written in first person, but also has real characters who develop, experience challenges of their own and grow over time. There's a distinct beginning, middle and end; not just "Day 43: Oatmeal again..." Plus, it's fun!

It just came out last November, so people are still finding out about it. Enough that I have been traveling the southeast much of this winter and spring, teaching classes when I can and getting people ready to hike their own hikes. With a big ole dose of LNT thrown in just for good measure.

Anyway, I'll try to be more active on Whiteblaze in general, it was after all the first hiking site I ever found when I was planning.

Hopefully I'll see some of y'all at Trail Days this year!

Happy Trails,

Green Giant

Hey Green Giant! Nice to see you around these parts again my friend.

The first couple pages from the Amazon preview are fun... I've got it bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The first couple pages from the Amazon preview are fun... I've got it bookmarked.
    The next 300 or so are even better.

Its a pretty good book. Much better than most that are written about a person's hike. I religiously treat my water thanks to your experiences, ha!

I read the book over the winter and really enjoyed it. It made me laugh out loud in many places.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just got the audible version, looking forward to listening to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++