Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-12-2015
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4

    Default February 1st, 2016 Winter Start

    Hello everyone,
    just posting to see if there is anyone else starting thier thru hike In early February 2016. Me and my buddy are starting a nobo on February 1st. Just trying to get an idea if we'll see anyone else on the trail that is brave enough to ensure the cold and snow with us.
    Happy trails y'all!

  2. #2
    Registered User kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-21-2007
    Location
    Swedesboro, NJ
    Age
    65
    Posts
    5,339
    Images
    25

    Default

    Brave might not be the right term, but you will see people out there.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

  3. #3
    Registered User Cotton Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-11-2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    64
    Posts
    183
    Images
    3

    Default

    I see one person registered for a February 1st start, so far.

    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...tration-charts

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-12-2015
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Is suppose crazy may be a better term than brave. We're are on a tight schedule and have to finish in time to go back for college classes in the fall.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HikingLane View Post
    Is suppose crazy may be a better term than brave. We're are on a tight schedule and have to finish in time to go back for college classes in the fall.
    with the weather were having lately, you might make spring break.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-05-2012
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Age
    52
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HikingLane View Post
    Is suppose crazy may be a better term than brave.
    Why? Are there any Youtube videos out there showing these allegedly dangerous conditions? What is so dangerous and crazy about it? Against cold you can use warmer clothes and a warmer sleeping bag/sleeping pad. Against ice you use crampons. Against heavy snowfall you have extra food and fuel, so you can wait it out. Anything I have missed?

  7. #7
    Registered User Kookork's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,325
    Images
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslohiker View Post
    Why? Are there any Youtube videos out there showing these allegedly dangerous conditions? What is so dangerous and crazy about it? Against cold you can use warmer clothes and a warmer sleeping bag/sleeping pad. Against ice you use crampons. Against heavy snowfall you have extra food and fuel, so you can wait it out. Anything I have missed?
    In theory and on paper you might be right but what you may have missed is real life experience in hiking in storm and very cold condition. It slows you down and might force you question your early start hike.

    I am not here to judge but statistics shows February starters have less chance to hike all the way. Who knows you may belong to the group that can make it all the way. Just you need to be prepared more than on theory to make it .

  8. #8
    -
    Join Date
    08-14-2005
    Location
    Fort Madison, IA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslohiker View Post
    Why? Are there any Youtube videos out there showing these allegedly dangerous conditions? What is so dangerous and crazy about it? Against cold you can use warmer clothes and a warmer sleeping bag/sleeping pad. Against ice you use crampons. Against heavy snowfall you have extra food and fuel, so you can wait it out. Anything I have missed?
    books to kill some time

  9. #9
    -
    Join Date
    08-14-2005
    Location
    Fort Madison, IA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HikingLane View Post
    Is suppose crazy may be a better term than brave. We're are on a tight schedule and have to finish in time to go back for college classes in the fall.
    end of Feb start would still be plenty of time

  10. #10
    Thru-hiker 2013 NoBo CarlZ993's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-29-2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    A 5-month thru-hike is easily done. Give yourself a week to 10 days leeway before you take off. As long as you don't get injured & need significant recovery time, you'll do fine (especially as young as your are).

    Good luck on whenever you start & happy trails.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-05-2012
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Age
    52
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    In theory and on paper you might be right but what you may have missed is real life experience in hiking in storm and very cold condition. It slows you down and might force you question your early start hike.

    I am not here to judge but statistics shows February starters have less chance to hike all the way. Who knows you may belong to the group that can make it all the way. Just you need to be prepared more than on theory to make it .
    This is the most sensible answer I have seen regarding this subject. The conclusion should therefor be: It is not crazy at all, you should just be comfortable about hiking in cold weather, taking the appropriate precautions, and plan accordingly.

    Personally, I think it is more "crazy" to hike in very hot weather. An early start will make you avoid most of that later on in a thru-hike. That should be a good reason for an early start.

  12. #12
    Registered User FatMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-28-2004
    Location
    Grassy Gap - AT
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    More and more are starting in February. Last year I was quite surprised as hardly a day went by where I did not see NOBOs in Feb. With all the support services for the AT today, and instant accurate weather info, an early start is not nearly as difficult as in the past.

  13. #13

    Default

    Given weather this year, December starts may not be too much of a reach....

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    Think about the mud and bugs in New England. How do they fit your schedule?

  15. #15
    Registered User runt13's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-28-2011
    Location
    Jackson, NJ
    Age
    53
    Posts
    182

    Default

    squeezebox, empty your PM's, tried to send you one and got the box is full memo!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Given weather this year, December starts may not be too much of a reach....
    Until you get up north, and there's still snow.
    AT15
    OT15

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2015
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I'm planning to start mid-February (potentially as early as Feb. 8 or as late as Feb. 22). I'm leaning towards earlier as I have a July 1 soft deadline to get back to move and start work Aug. 1.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-25-2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Age
    44
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Until you get up north, and there's still snow.
    Hence the this year in the post, as the amount of snow in the north so far has been little, if any. Of course that could change any time.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,011

    Default

    http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...r-registration

    Use this resource to see who else REGISTERED thru-hikers will be on the trail with you or not and register yourself to assist others plan their hikes too.

  20. #20
    Registered User egilbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-18-2014
    Location
    Lewiston and Biddeford, Maine
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Hence the this year in the post, as the amount of snow in the north so far has been little, if any. Of course that could change any time.
    if i remember correctly, almost all our snowfall last year was in February. Just cuz theres no snow NOW, doesnt mean we wont get dumped on in january, february, march and april.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •