WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tomtom Trailhead Parking POI files?

Not specific to AT. Does anyone know of a downloadable Tomtom format Points of Interest (POI) file for trailhead parking areas in the eastern US? Tomtoms are generally easy to use but selecting a random point on a rural road as a destination is not something that's easy on a Tomtom.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was hoping someone would dig up the information, that I have posted many times in the past. The real issue is the ATC (Conservancy) has moved the data many times over the years. I have spoken to the webmaster by phone about this... its their data. It is by far the best I have found... at one time it was broken up into shelters, trail, and parkinglots... I have no idea now as I have it all on Google Earth as KML not POI. I have learned how to stuff it into a Garmin and it works... even when the Garmin complained.

Here you are I hope it works out, there may be a learning curve.
    http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Don, I've created quite a few POI packages for Garmin gps's, when I get home from work tonight, I'll find out the difference between Garmin's and Tomtom's formats and hopefully put something together for you.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I appreciate the interest. Of course, one way would be to just enter the geographic coordinates off the map but that's not very amenable to easily changing plans. I find it interesting that I can easily download a POI file for all known cemeteries but not for trailhead parking areas.

++ New Posts ++