WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kelty 50th Anniversary Edition Pack

I came across this and bought it on a whim to try out (I really have to stop doing this). It's a pretty unique design with an external frame that is contoured and small and largely fits into sleeves on the pack rather than using clevis pins. On the downside, it loses the ability to lash stuff onto a bigger frame. Anybody have experience with this pack?

• Very lightweight, with a sleek design similar to internal frames but with the carrying capacity and load support found on most external frame packs
    • Shaving weight is the hidden frame--a small diameter, high alloy tube with a unique hourglass shape for unhindered motion
    • Levitator™ carbon fiber device transfers weight from pack to hipbelt for increased support with uniform belt pressure and correct angle
    • Contoured waistbelt, anatomically curved shoulder straps, load-lifter straps and sternum strap are fully adjustable for the perfect torso and hip fit
    • Suspension features BROCK™ 3D air-circulating foam, wicking spacer-mesh and a sprung mesh band panel for an unbelievable cooling effect
    • No-hole, full-strength packbag attachment eliminates use of clevis pins for weight saving plus no snagging and jingling
    • Two large (500 cu. in. each) side pockets are perfect for longer hauls and are removable to lighten the load on short weekend trips
    • Lid features a large top pocket, a valuables pocket underneath flap and a map pocket directly behind head that allows access while walking
    • Front mesh wet pouch has a bungee compression system and is ideal for carrying wet items; remove and webbing straps allow use as a daypack
    • Big, deep mesh water bottle side pocket, two ice axe loops and three daisy chains allow attaching and lashing of bulky, quick-access gear
    • Sleeping bag hatch at bottom of pack allows access to lower end of pack without the use of heavy zippers
    • Main packbag is made of nylon microfiber and 215-denier Spectra® Hardline® fabric with a tough 500-denier Cordura® nylon bottom
    • Stripped down average weight is 4 lbs. 11 oz.; complete pack average weight is 6 lbs. 11 oz.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty...iversary-pack/
    http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/pro...2_2958crx.aspx

Images

I saw one of those for sale and thought the same thing about trying it out,I have a super tioga that I like a lot.I would say with the room you have in the bag there would not be much left to carry by lashing anything to the frame.Do you know the pack size by any chance?I know it's big but really don't know how big.I think it's cool as heck,I hope it serves you well and is as comfortable as my Tioga.

Quote Originally Posted by paule View Post
    I saw one of those for sale and thought the same thing about trying it out,I have a super tioga that I like a lot.I would say with the room you have in the bag there would not be much left to carry by lashing anything to the frame.Do you know the pack size by any chance?I know it's big but really don't know how big.I think it's cool as heck,I hope it serves you well and is as comfortable as my Tioga.
    I just recently bought a Super Tioga from someone here and though I haven't gotten out to the trail with it yet, so far I am really liking it. It carries weight very comfortably! I was surprised because the hip belt doesn't look like that much but it rides really comfortably. I would love to find an Ultra Tioga...

image.jpg
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 12-09-2015 at 12:56.

BTW, Kelty apparently also made a 50th Anniversary Edition of the Super Tioga, which has a similar frame to this one but different pack design more like you'd expect:

https://www.kelty.com/pdf/Packs/Adj5.0INST.pdf

As for this one, it looks like there were 3 versions - a regular, a large, and a women's. Not sure which one I have coming, but the Women's is 7200ci so I am sure it is a beast of a pack.

Images

That's some really neat history,I wasn't even aware of the ultra model........keep us posted on how you like that new pack,I would be very interested on your thoughts,,,,

Something from a Kelty rep in 2003:

"The 50th Anniversary is definitely our "top of the line" external pack. As far as capacity, it is also the load warrior. For smaller alternatives, check out the Super Tioga and Tioga. A new feature for 2003 on these two is the "50th Anniversary" frame - the same lightweight super-strong frame that is on the 50th Anniversary pack itself. They are also revamped and redesigned with cool new Shadow Rip fabric, (a real zip out divider!), and a hydration tube port. My next suggestion would be one of the Thru-Hiker series, which include the Continental Divide and Pacific Crest. These are great packs, but less customizable, and a little heavier overall. "

Good lord that thing is huge! And heavy! I have a Trekker (large) and total weight is around 4 1/2 lbs, I think. I can't even imagine carrying a pack that big.

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    Good lord that thing is huge! And heavy! I have a Trekker (large) and total weight is around 4 1/2 lbs, I think. I can't even imagine carrying a pack that big.
    It is pretty huge in terms of capacity. The external pockets and such can be removed to reduce weight by up to two pounds though. So far, every pack I have tried that carries 50+ pounds comfortably weighs at least 6 pounds so the weight does not seem unreasonable at all. The Super Tioga is 5600ci (about 90L), and is a great size with plenty of room. My biggest criticism about the one I have is that the zipper opening for the sleeping bag compartment is too small to actually get a bulky sleeping bag into when it's stuffed into a compression sack, and too difficult to get a winter down bag into on it's own trying to just shove it in there without a sack. The Ultra Tioga appears to have a much better zipper design that extended to the sides for a much wider opening, so perhaps later-year Super Tiogas did as well. I ended up using the bottom compartment for other things and putting the compressed bag into the main compartment. I am not certain if the Ultra was any larger capacity than the Super - I have seen claims anywhere between 5600 and 6200 ci. Either way, the Super Tioga is a really good size for my needs. I don't think I would often use the extension collar at the top and would probably pack the tent inside the pack (in my picture I just filled it with a bunch of random stuff and strapped the (large) tent to the top).

I am not sure how to adequately utilize the huge capacity of the 50th Anniversary pack - perhaps by putting a CCF sleeping pad or two inside of the pack. I suspect the real challenge will be getting weight distributed optimally, something that seems much easier when there are more external lashing options with a longer frame and shorter pack.

Interesting, my Trekker can hold a winter bag in the sleeping bag compartment no problem (not in a stuff sack, though, I haven't tried that). I don't really use the Kelty bag much any more (use a Granite Gear Blaze), but it's a great pack for those family outings when I have to carry a bunch of stuff for the wife and kids. That 50th Ann would sure do the job!

Kelty did UL before there was UL.

http://sectionhiker.com/keltys-ultra...-to-the-cloud/

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I just recently bought a Super Tioga from someone here and though I haven't gotten out to the trail with it yet, so far I am really liking it. It carries weight very comfortably! I was surprised because the hip belt doesn't look like that much but it rides really comfortably. I would love to find an Ultra Tioga...

hey, that was me...

glad you are digging it....

you look alot like Chris Robinson (black crowes) in that photo....

anyways, yeah.........hipbelt is kinda weird looking and would seem like it wouldnt fit right, but i always had good luck with it being comfortable........but, not hauling the weight you seem to be filling that pack up with........

and for some reason, i have it in my mind that one downside of the hipbelt, was that it sorta became a sponge when it rained.............but, i could be thinking of another pack so ymmv.....

hope you get some good usage outta it....

while i was waiting for you to show up, i kept eyeballing the pack thinking "do i really wanna get rid of this?".................i always had good luck with it and it worked well for me......

but, glad its going to a good home as i have other packs i can use.....

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    Interesting, my Trekker can hold a winter bag in the sleeping bag compartment no problem (not in a stuff sack, though, I haven't tried that). I don't really use the Kelty bag much any more (use a Granite Gear Blaze), but it's a great pack for those family outings when I have to carry a bunch of stuff for the wife and kids. That 50th Ann would sure do the job!
    Well, "winter bag" can mean a lot. In my case, it means a full-size rectangular bag, not a mummy or otherwise tapered design, with enough 850+ fillpower down to get a -10 degree rating, which means it really likes to loft up. The outer fabric is Pertex Shield which makes it more difficult to compress than a typical bag as well. It does pack down to a reasonable size using a Sea to Summit compression dry bag though.

The Super Tioga as well as other Kelty packs changed over the years in various ways when they were in production - I am sure the design of the lower opening changed at times. I am not sure what year mine might be from, but it does not have a telescoping frame to accommodate a wider range of torso lengths as the later ones did.

The 50th Anniversary pack has a lower "sleeping bag" opening, but unlike the Tioga does not have a divider between the top and bottom - it's just one big sack.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    anyways, yeah.........hipbelt is kinda weird looking and would seem like it wouldnt fit right, but i always had good luck with it being comfortable........but, not hauling the weight you seem to be filling that pack up with........
    In that picture, the bag weighed in at 55lbs. After packing in all our normal gear, I threw in a bunch of other random objects like glass jars full of water, steel kitchen skillets, etc. More weight than I would generally carry but I wanted to fill it up and give it a good test walking around because if I am really loaded up with a lot of food and water for an extended outing, that may be the weight at the start. That said, I expect my weight to generally be 40-45lbs.

while i was waiting for you to show up, i kept eyeballing the pack thinking "do i really wanna get rid of this?".................i always had good luck with it and it worked well for me......
    Haha, well if I ever get my hands on an Ultra Tioga, I will be happy to return it to you if you want it back. Glad you didn't change your mind.

These packs are great and there IS a place for them. When you need to carry a lot of volume and weight you need a big, heavy frame pack.
    Back in the day it's what we all used, and it worked out OK. Fortunately, not all trips require a pack like this, but some certainly do.

Well I got the pack. Surprisingly nice materials and construction, if excessively roomy. I could fit everything, including a couple large CCF pads, into the pack I believe. I stuffed if full of blankets for pictures, and it just kept swallowing one after another. Sadly it is a size large and a bit too big for my torso, so I don't think I will keep it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I just figured out that the hip belt is held in place by velcro, and was at it's lowest (longest torso) setting. I moved it all the way up and now it fits me well. I still don't particularly care for it though as much as the ones with the more accessible external frames, and the one huge compartment isn't as nice as the ones with multiple divided compartments, to me anyways. Neat pack though.

This is a bit of a long shot but I'm searching high and low for a Kelty 50th Anniversary Backpack. I've been contacting people who had them at one stage to see if they still have the pack/would be interested in selling/be open to shipping to me in Australia. Shoot me a message if this is the case!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lotusboy View Post
    This is a bit of a long shot but I'm searching high and low for a Kelty 50th Anniversary Backpack. I've been contacting people who had them at one stage to see if they still have the pack/would be interested in selling/be open to shipping to me in Australia. Shoot me a message if this is the case!
    Cheers
    I believe you're the one who I've exchanged a few messages with on BPL recently. Small world sometimes. Unfortunately, the pack is long gone, along with the Ultra Tiogas that for some reason I thought you were talking about before. Best of luck finding one!

++ New Posts ++