Default Washington Section Hike - opinions & advice

Hello all! This is my first post, but I have really enjoyed reading this forum for some time now.

I'm planning a late August 2016 PCT section hike in Washington with my brother. I've narrowed it down to two options:

1: Section H (Cascade Locks to Highway 12 at White Pass)
    2: Section I (Highway 12 to Snoqualmie Pass)

Which is the more scenic section? Is one significantly more difficult than the other? Any tips or advice for first time section hikers in the Pacific Northwest?

Thanks in advance!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I'd say option 1, but neither is perfect. The first couple of days or so north of Cascade Locks is pretty mediocre by Washington PCT standards. Lots of walking in the woods. Eventually you get to Mt. Adams, which is nice, and Goat Rocks is phenomenal, but that's basically just the last day or two before White Pass. Between White Pass and Snoqualmie Pass, the first 50 miles or so is nice (Norse Peak and William O. Douglas Wilderness areas plus a sliver of Mt. Rainier NP). But the last 50 miles is mostly logged over and you go in and out of old clearcuts and burns. Not great.

If I was doing one section in Washington, it would be something to the north. Alpine Lakes Wilderness (Snoqualmie to Skykomish) is phenomenal, as is the Glacier Peak section. For me, I-90 to Stehekin was nearly as good as the Sierra. And the stretch from Stehekin to Canada is nearly as good. You can't go wrong with anything north of 90.

This past summer, I backpacked on Mount Baker, then I went down to do a loop hike at the base of Mount Rainier, which covers part of the Wonderland Trail. Both were fantastic. (I've posted links to my video of these areas. If you can't find it but would like the link, let me know.) I haven't done anything in between, so I can't really comment on your planned area.

I am considering spending some time around Cascade Locks and around the Columbia River Gorge area, for this coming summer, so I'll be watching this thread for any information that pops up.

I really appreciate your input! I may have to reconsider my plan. Do you think the section just north of I-90 can be completed in a week?

I agree with Burger, great summary.

The section just north of I-90, WA section J, is about 75 miles. In "thru-hiker shape", it takes 3 days. I would think that most backpackers in okay physical condition and not carrying a ton of weight could happily do it in a week. I wouldn't WANT to take longer, as that's just a lot of food weight to carry (!).

There are a couple of great side-trips to consider in that section too: Spectacle Lake, and Tuck & Robin Lakes. The southern half of that section is the better part.

It's possible to take a bus from Seattle to get to the trailhead at US 2 (Steven's Pass) at the north end of that section --- I know, I did it last year. I'm pretty sure that you can't bus back from there, however, so if you're using public transport, consider walking southbound to finish at Snoqualmie Pass (I-90).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

We had bad fire year. Check whatever section you choose for damage.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Awesome!! Thank you!! Now that I have the section picked out, it's time to start planning the details. Do you have any advice re: gear? I'm familiar with hiking in the Southwest, but this is my first outing in Washington. Am I going to want to look for particular types of trekking poles or shoes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I'd say option 1, but neither is perfect. The first couple of days or so north of Cascade Locks is pretty mediocre by Washington PCT standards. Lots of walking in the woods. Eventually you get to Mt. Adams, which is nice, and Goat Rocks is phenomenal, but that's basically just the last day or two before White Pass. Between White Pass and Snoqualmie Pass, the first 50 miles or so is nice (Norse Peak and William O. Douglas Wilderness areas plus a sliver of Mt. Rainier NP). But the last 50 miles is mostly logged over and you go in and out of old clearcuts and burns. Not great.

If I was doing one section in Washington, it would be something to the north. Alpine Lakes Wilderness (Snoqualmie to Skykomish) is phenomenal, as is the Glacier Peak section. For me, I-90 to Stehekin was nearly as good as the Sierra. And the stretch from Stehekin to Canada is nearly as good. You can't go wrong with anything north of 90.
    Burger saving me the typing. 100% agree especially the last paragraph.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon1028 View Post
    Awesome!! Thank you!! Now that I have the section picked out, it's time to start planning the details. Do you have any advice re: gear? I'm familiar with hiking in the Southwest, but this is my first outing in Washington. Am I going to want to look for particular types of trekking poles or shoes?
    You shouldn't need anything special gear-wise. There's nothing technical on the PCT, so trail runners or even running shoes should be fine. You can get some cold rainstorms in late August, so bring rain gear, and by then nights might be coldish, too, even in good weather.

Just be prepared for a lot of climbing. That section is something of a roller coaster (though a very beautiful one), with multiple 2000+ foot climbs. The grades aren't bad, but the aggregate climbing adds up.

You might want to consider Dirty Girl gaiters.

+ 1 on good rain gear.

When you say "rain gear" what do you mean? If I brush up on Ray Jardine's Lightweight Backpacking will that be enough?

Definitely! Wild, gorgeous, and incredible views. Love the glacier peak wilderness! And into the Pasayten wilderness north of Hart's pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear list starts at 44:10.

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing!

When you say "rain gear" what do you mean? If I brush up on Ray Jardine's Lightweight Backpacking will that be enough?
    I tend to use a poncho and rain pants, plus a hat. Other's have different, equally valid preferences.

Anything north of Stevens Pass is where its at. You can take a bus to and from Stevens Pass. North of Rainy Pass is the closest it gets to the Sierra PCT in WA.

You shouldn't need anything special gear-wise. There's nothing technical on the PCT, so trail runners or even running shoes should be fine. You can get some cold rainstorms in late August, so bring rain gear, and by then nights might be coldish, too, even in good weather.

Just be prepared for a lot of climbing. That section is something of a roller coaster (though a very beautiful one), with multiple 2000+ foot climbs. The grades aren't bad, but the aggregate climbing adds up.
    I have not personally hiked north of Stevens Pass, so I can't say which section is best. I can recommend the section that I hiked -- a combination of the sections you proposed.

Start at FR115. (From U.S. 12, drive south on FR21 for 15.8 miles, turn eat on FR 2160 for 1.8 miles, turn south on FR2329 for 4.5 miles, turn east on FR115 for .3 miles)

Hike north through the Goat Rocks Wilderness to Chinook Pass. You can resupply at the Kracker Barrell near the PCT when you cross U.S. 12.

I have pictures for this section on my web site: http://www.davemcclung.com. Look at the albums for 2014 and 2015.
    Shutterbug

I would definitely recommend section I over section H. Whites Pass to Snoqualmie was one of my favorite sections of the trail! As others have mentioned, you might be interested in looking up some of the trail further north as it is the most scenic part of Washington besides the Goat Rocks.

++ New Posts ++