WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Rating my town experiences on my section hike...

I reckon this may be moved to a different category, but I decided to attempt to post it under "general"...

Anyhow, here are my thoughts on a few hostels, restaurants, and trail towns I experienced last month during my Southern AT trek...S

Sorry if it's a boring ramble & rant!

The Cream of the Crop

Mountain Cabbin (Front Royal, VA):
    This place kicked some serious ass! It's a work in progress, in the sense that Scott & Lisa have a lot more work to do on the property, but the current hostel set up is awesome. Apparently, Front Royal has a stick up their butt, thus it must be a "bed & breakfast", instead of a straight up hostel. No worries... visitors benefit from this little nuance.

The TLC of Mountain Cabbin is top notch. If this place isn't a "must visit" by the time it is fully functionally... I will eat my shorts. Awesome history, passion, and love for the AT here... I was blown away by the experience. For $20, I would struggle to rate any other hostel in the same "value" category as this spot.

This is 100% worth visiting... whether you are hiking the AT or not. Scott & Lisa are great people and they are the type of folks that constantly bring me back to the AT.

Bottom line: 10/10

Fontana Village Resort:
    I was skeptical of this place. During my 09 thru-hike it was crawling with Mini-Coopers and felt super touristy and I just wanted to get hiking in the Smoky Mountains... so I had my little Fontana Hilton experience and moved on quickly... The next time I hiked through the area... I was strictly focused on hiking & my budget... so a "Resort" was out of the que$tion.

Turns out... this little gem isn't overly expensive and they were totally hiker friendly. My brain led me to believe a "resort" would hate a smelly hiker... or in my case, the four of us that were hiking together... WRONG. They welcomed us. They offered us a special deal, that even went a bit beyond their hiker rate. This was during their Spyder? weekend... First the Mini-Coopers & then a Spyder feast... like I said... skeptical.

I shouldn't have been. The staff was so friendly. They offered rides around their property, provided extra towels without having to ask, knew 4 of us were crashing in one room and had 0 objections, called us when the hot cookies were served at 4 PM. I couldn't believe it... We roasted marshmellows (smores), played some pick up basketball, ate way too many freshly baked cookies, and absolutely devoured everything they served at "The Porch". The food was awesome, especially the Wildwoodie burger, and their beyond spicy "Dragon Breath" buffalo wings. After putting down some big mile days in the Smokies (27 & 21)... this nero/zero was much needed and memorable.

Bottom Line: 9.5/10

The Classics

Bear's Den:

Hard to knock the Hiker's special @ Bear's Den. It seems to sneak up a dollar or two... but that's life. I was up there after the "peak" SOBO season, so I was only there with a few other folks, but it was still good company. Cool history, decent little spot. You pay for what you get. Great to see Strings, a fellow 09 thru-hiker, while there. Great friend of the AT... provides shuttles in the Northern VA area!

Bottom Line: 7.5/10

Haven's Budget Inn:

If it ain't broke, why fix it... that's what they say right? Well this place is broken & needs some fixing. I get it... it's an old motel that serves a purpose for hikers & others on a budget... hence the name. But this place is decaying pretty good... inside & out. Franklin, NC is a trail town on the rise. I had a good time there. Locals treated me really well, unbelievable trail magic, great grub, etc... but this place needs an overhaul.

I think a few hostels are in the works out in Franklin & if the Budget Inn doesn't improve, I could see it losing its hold on the area. Competition is good for all & I will be interested to see what Franklin, NC looks like in 5-10 years. Some people called it a "baby Asheville"... I don't know if that's true... but it's certainly a bit more hip & happening than it was in 09.

Bottom Line: 3/10

NOC:

Only stopped here because of the weather... food was great, but the stores were closing down & the bunkhouse was meh... Wasn't expecting much... didn't get much. Really loved the grub at the restaurant and the folks there gave my buddy a free meal (because it was his first backpacking trip), which was awesome! The bathroom facility was decent, no complaints. Prices are steep for a bunkhouse, but that comes with the territory of being in a tourist trap!

Bottom Line: 5/10

Neel's Gap:

Stopped here because I was several days ahead of my ride meeting me at Springer Mountain, and because it was Saturday & Sunday with Bama playing LSU & Carolina playing Green Bay

Great people working at Neels Gap. I had a great time. I enjoyed it much more this go-around vs my previous few stays here during the crowded season. Great company, great insight on hiking + other adventures, and totally mellow.

Bottom Line: 8.5/10

The New Kid On The Block

Top Of Georgia Hostel
    :

I wanted to love this place... but a few things rubbed me the wrong way. When I was rung up, the prices were about $15 more than I expected, because apparently (but not advertised), section hikers pay more than thru-hikers... 15 bucks ain't gonna make or break me, but I wish it was a flat rate.

Has potential. Cool decoration, cool location, but it felt a lot more like a business than your average AT Hostel. I'm not gonna knock somebody's hustle, business, need to make money, etc... but the vibe there was a little off to me, at times. All in all, I appreciated the hostel and had a good time, but something was missing

Gotta finish reading Stephen King's sequel to The Shining... but I'll post about a few restaurants tomorrow (if anyone cares)... which is also the reason I didn't proof read any of this, so if I make little to no sense, please forgive me. Trying to find out what has happened to Danny Torrence!!
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

I care. Thanks for the reviews

Images

Yes,more,,,thanks

I reckon this may be moved to a different category, but I decided to attempt to post it under "general"...

I tried a while back to get whiteblaze to create a shuttle/ hostel feedback section per hostel and shuttle provider. Not a discussion page, just a 1-5 five star rating and to fill in your experience. It was shot down because it would expose the dumps from the cream of the crops. I was disappointed.
    The Cream of the Crop

Mountain Cabbin (Front Royal, VA):

Bottom line: 10/10

100% AGREE, I loved my 3 days here waiting out a bad storm last fall.

The Classics

Bear's Den:

Bottom Line: 7.5/10

I enjoyed bears den as well!

Haven's Budget Inn:

Bottom Line: 3/10
    Havent stayed here but have heard the same from others

NOC:

Havent stayed here but have heard the same from others

Neel's Gap:

Bottom Line: 8.5/10

No dogs allowed eliminated me from staying here but it is a clean and cool place!

The New Kid On The Block

Top Of Georgia Hostel
    :
    I wanted to love this place... but a few things rubbed me the wrong way. When I was rung up, the prices were about $15 more than I expected, because apparently (but not advertised), section hikers pay more than thru-hikers... 15 bucks ain't gonna make or break me, but I wish it was a flat rate.
    Has potential. Cool decoration, cool location, but it felt a lot more like a business than your average AT Hostel. I'm not gonna knock somebody's hustle, business, need to make money, etc... but the vibe there was a little off to me, at times. All in all, I appreciated the hostel and had a good time, but something was missing
    I was not, and am not a fan of this place. It was January, the dog hostel was finished but "the dog beds weren't in" so I had to pay 15 bucks to tent on a hill in extremely cold weather, and they were upset because as a section hiker I was arriving late and they got pissy even thought I called a week in advance. They lock the gate at 7pm? seriously?? and you have to sign a waiver lol. I strongly dislike the favoritism of thru hikers as they aren't even located 100 miles into the trail, I as a section hiker, investing thousands of dollars into the trail and completing over 800 miles of trail, has to pay more then some greenstick that has toughed it out for 60 miles? I don't think so. As well, they limit the amount of dogs on the property so If I show up after 3 other dog owners have I cant even tent in the back yard. This place wants the experience of a hostel at their own convenience.
    Our experience bothered us enough throughout our 20 mile day hike that when we got back we snatched out tents up and drove down to Helen for the night. Great little town. I have wanted to rant on my experience of TOG and this seemed like the correct place to do it lol
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 12-07-2015 at 12:04. Reason: delete long quote
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I don't like the distinction between thrus and section hikers either. Who's to know who is going to finish a thru hike just 100 miles into the trail?

FWIW I like Bear's Den as well and although I never stayed at Mountain Cabbin, I did meet the lady who owns it while I took a break at 522. She stopped to offer me a ride into town and tell me about the hostel. But I didn't need to go to town and pushed on further north that day.

Images

This is a great post - I wish there were a separate section in the forum for hostel/lodging threads.

It would also be good to include which section(s) you hiked when making posts like this.
    It's all good in the woods.

very helpful thanks

Images

While I read the post, I'm a bit concerned about "bad mouthing" of establishments. If you don't like a place, don't go back, and don't recommend it to others. Spend the time extolling the good facilities.

Over the years, I've seen several hostels or businesses put down. Businesses that I found to be VERY friendly and helpful when I was on my hike. I don't like the idea of discouraging services. If you want to know about a business, assume that if you do not see a lot of consistent praise, then it may be a crap shoot.

I just hate to see folks who are going out of their way to help hikers torn down, be it businesses or individuals. Easy enough to judge a facility on first glance. Case in point, a very popular stop that is an incredible fire trap - obvious when your first walk into the facility. Don't want to accept the risk, and don't think the benefits counter the risk, don't stay. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    While I read the post, I'm a bit concerned about "bad mouthing" of establishments. If you don't like a place, don't go back, and don't recommend it to others. Spend the time extolling the good facilities.

Over the years, I've seen several hostels or businesses put down. Businesses that I found to be VERY friendly and helpful when I was on my hike. I don't like the idea of discouraging services. If you want to know about a business, assume that if you do not see a lot of consistent praise, then it may be a crap shoot.

I just hate to see folks who are going out of their way to help hikers torn down, be it businesses or individuals. Easy enough to judge a facility on first glance. Case in point, a very popular stop that is an incredible fire trap - obvious when your first walk into the facility. Don't want to accept the risk, and don't think the benefits counter the risk, don't stay. Simple.
    I take this as a very ************ viewpoint. I refuse to allow my voice unheard when it could save someone a bad time or experience. Most all of us work hard for our money and I would much rather give my money to someone like Scott and Lisa in Front Royal then Some one like TOG. It is my opinion, not the law, and if one chooses to ignore my opinion then by all means, try it for yourself. But "talking good about the good guys, and being silent about the bad" just makes no sense to me what so ever. I believe that there should be a feedback system on whiteblaze that is interactive and allows people to post their stay, and it not be a discussion! Just their personal review.
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-07-2015 at 16:34. Reason: Sounded politicalistic.

Feedback is a good thing. The world is a competitive place. The first place I look for restaurant info is Yelp. For profit Hostels are no different and don't deserve kid glove treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Feedback is a good thing. The world is a competitive place. The first place I look for restaurant info is Yelp. For profit Hostels are no different and don't deserve kid glove treatment.
    Absolutely,

And as well, "donations only" places, I would still rather pay for a room, or tent than to stay in a free dump lol So therefor I would even want feedback from Those type places.

Sure, I think all feedback is good when constructive. But I view free and donation based places a lot differently than places that are businesses. Lots of those places are laboratory of love, basically trail Angels, and the flaws are more likely to be overlooked.

Lol... Auto correct strikes again should be "labors of love" although laboratory has an interesting ring to it........

Images

Thanks for taking the time to review places you visited! I like the idea of "Trip Advisor - White Blaze" style and think it can absolutely be helpful. It is possible to present concerns and comments without badmouthing an establishment. There is a difference between badmouthing a place because you were not catered to, and lodging alid complaints/concerns. Yes, there will be those few who chose to be jerks and go overboard, but you will see that even on Trip Advisor. They seem to be few and far between. Besides, when I read the reviews it really stands out if there is only one person who doesn't like a place, or a place ONLY has glowing reviews.

A company that is well-run appreciates feedback so they can address valid issues.

Yes, there are jerks out there. However, when I bring up a valid issue (shower doesn't work, or the room wasn't cleaned) I do expect to be heard. I don't expect royal treatment, but I do expect to be treated decent. I want to know (in advance) about the places that are not worth the stop so that I do not waste my time and hard-earned money. When I am ready for town, it is not my idea of a good time to have to shop around because the first place absolutely did not meet my basic expectations.

With more hostels closing their doors to hikers it is nice to be able to get updated information before one hikes the trail/that section of trail.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    This is a great post - I wish there were a separate section in the forum for hostel/lodging threads.

It would also be good to include which section(s) you hiked when making posts like this.
    As a matter of fact there is, it is a subforum of the Trail Towns and Hiker Services subforum, which is where I moved thus thread to because the OP also mentioned towns.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    As a matter of fact there is, it is a subforum of the Trail Towns and Hiker Services subforum, which is where I moved thus thread to because the OP also mentioned towns.
    That sub-forum has a nice ring to it but is not organized enough to be able to scroll and select shuttle drivers and hostels.

There needs to be a sticky forum from Georgia to Maine, of hostels in a pretty good order that they are on the trial, along with a second sub forum of shuttles. If an establishment does both, they would be in both sub forums with reviews of both of their hostel as well as their shuttle reviews.

I don't like the distinction between thrus and section hikers either. Who's to know who is going to finish a thru hike just 100 miles into the trail?
    i posted on facebook section hikers forum about this. TOG says they are charging the same for everybody now

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

A sub-forum for hostels has the potential for some serious drama...

I...think I like it?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i posted on facebook section hikers forum about this. TOG says they are charging the same for everybody now
    Damn, brother you are FAST! Good job, LW. We'll see if they keep their word.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Images

To be fair, most of the "for profit" hostel owners aren't doing it to make money. Unless they are independently wealthy, they have to charge in order to keep the hostel going. I highly doubt anyone who is charging $20 or less per person per night is making any serious profit.
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++