WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by walkingjoe View Post
    I appreciate you and others posting your gear lists. I am more of a short-term backpacker, and I when I first decided to do the AT this year I was thinking more of my gear was light enough to avoid replacement, but now I'm thinking several big-ticket items are going to have to be replaced. My pack isn't too bad, an external frame 26.6 oz Jansport that will hold more than I could ever need, but the two biggies, tent and sleeping bag, are WAY heavier than any gear list I've seen. To make matters worse, for 45 oz sleeping bag is only 30 deg. That added weight probably wouldn't be catastrophic if it was a 20 deg, but leaving in late March, April 1st at the latest, I have to consider the weight of whatever else is keeping me warm. My mammoth tent is a Eureka Backcountry -- 85.6 whopping oz. This has obviously got to go, and will be one of the more expensive replacements. I do have a netting system and ultralight tarp that could weigh in at under under two pounds, but I'm not sure I like this for the early colder months.

As far as being used to cold weather... I have been in upstate ny the past few years and -10 days and colder nights are routine some years, but that doesn't make me any more willing to freeze on a long-distance hike. I am never cold when I'm hiking, but once I stop and especially for sleep, I like to be warm. The trail offers enough challenges, I would be willing to carry an extra couple pounds if it keeps me warm enough to sleep at night.

My gear list in case anybody's interested... At this point this is mostly me weighing in existing equipment so I can see where I need to make replacements. Haven't gotten to clothing yet, but I've pulled out all my polyester and don't expect to make many expensive purchases there.

http://lighterpack.com/r/19ercp
    if money isn't an issue. Look into Zpacks tents. I have the Solplex 1 1/2 person tent. 1.8 lbs. YouTube it. I love mine

Quote Originally Posted by Forester Gump View Post
    Bemental,
    I thru hiked in 2014, starting March 26. I carried a Marmot Helium (15 degree, 38 oz) bag from Springer to Damascus (Thermarest X-therm insulated pad). I still slept with my clothes on to stay warm. It may be warmer this year, but not worth the risk. I switched to a JRB quilt in Damascus and supplemented that with my Ghost Whisperer down jacket when needed. That may be a bit optimistic with a March 1 start date.

I cooked on an Evernew Ti alcohol stove (with heat exchanger) for the entire hike. I like alcohol stoves...simple, light and nothing to break. But, I looked on with envy when other hikers would fire up their Jetboil stoves and have instant hot food and drinks. I am carrying a Jetboil (Ti) to Damascus where I will switch to alcohol.

On another note...I used to wear silk unders until my wife broke the news to me that I stunk. I now wear Merino wool for the benefit of everyone else.

I may see you on the trail...I plan on heading north again from Springer during that first week of March. I am retired and have a very understanding wife.

Good luck,
    Forester Gump
    I contacted EE and let them know that I wanted to change my quilt from a 30* to a 20*. I'm trying to get away with using one quilt for the entire hike, and am hoping that by going to a 20* I don't shoot myself in the foot later up the trail.

Bemental,
    20degree is better than 30,but you are still cutting it close. What is the R-factor of your sleep pad? You need insulation between you and the ground. I just accepted the fact that my pack would be a little heavier until I reached Damascus, VA. The stretch up to Waynesboro can still be cold in April and early May.

I live in the far northern tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula where harsh winters are a way of life. I guess I am just a little more cautious when it comes to cold.

On another note, cuben fiber packs are great but costly. I opted for a ULA Circuit. It is comfortable and carries everything you need. It is probably a little less than the Z-pack. You can use the savings across the rest of your gear.

We should cross paths on our way north. Good luck with the final preparations. Don't forget a trail guide (I use AWOL), and a pass to the GSMNP.

Forester Gump

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I contacted EE and let them know that I wanted to change my quilt from a 30* to a 20*. I'm trying to get away with using one quilt for the entire hike, and am hoping that by going to a 20* I don't shoot myself in the foot later up the trail.
    Can also buy a 40* or 50* synthetic quilt to stack with your current 30* quilt and stack them. It works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester Gump View Post
    Bemental,
    20degree is better than 30,but you are still cutting it close. What is the R-factor of your sleep pad? You need insulation between you and the ground. I just accepted the fact that my pack would be a little heavier until I reached Damascus, VA. The stretch up to Waynesboro can still be cold in April and early May.

I live in the far northern tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula where harsh winters are a way of life. I guess I am just a little more cautious when it comes to cold.

On another note, cuben fiber packs are great but costly. I opted for a ULA Circuit. It is comfortable and carries everything you need. It is probably a little less than the Z-pack. You can use the savings across the rest of your gear.

We should cross paths on our way north. Good luck with the final preparations. Don't forget a trail guide (I use AWOL), and a pass to the GSMNP.

Forester Gump
    So, my EE quilt arrived before I could ask them to bump it to a 20, but I think I've got a solution. I've another lightweight sleeping bag that's rated for 30 that I'm going to take with me in addition to the 30 quilt from EE. It's definitely the cheapest solution I have, and from reading my journals from last year it was also inadequate on its own.

I do believe that the combination of the two will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    if money isn't an issue. Look into Zpacks tents. I have the Solplex 1 1/2 person tent. 1.8 lbs. YouTube it. I love mine
    I much enjoy tarping, and can't imagine sleeping in a tent anymore. I have a bivy that I use and much prefer that experience over being stuck in a tent.

Only exclusion is bugs. It kinda sucks to be stuck in a bivy when the bugs are out as opposed to the overall spaciousness of a tent.

Get a sea to summit nano bug net 2.9 oz

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Get a sea to summit nano bug net 2.9 oz

thom
    Only problem is what do you attach it to? The images I'm pulling up have it pyramided and attached by the top.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Only problem is what do you attach it to? The images I'm pulling up have it pyramided and attached by the top.
    For very minimalist, there's the bug baffler at .58 oz. Just covers your head, and has little straps that keep it in place. Just ignore all those mosquito bites on your arms, they'll add character, or EEE, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    For very minimalist, there's the bug baffler at .58 oz. Just covers your head, and has little straps that keep it in place. Just ignore all those mosquito bites on your arms, they'll add character, or EEE, or something.
    I've got a mosquito hood that I can wear, but the bivy also has the built in no-see-um mesh. The only real problem comes when the days are long, and it's too hot to sleep in the bivy.

For the nano bug net, I'd imagine you could run a lightweight line between two trees, or up to an overhead live branch, or even between two hiking poles and some creative guyline. A big mylar balloon?, yeah, definitely go with the balloon.

Shock cord and a tie out on the tarp . Sew on a loop for the bug net. Bivy sacks are hot and have condensation problems . I just use a bug head net. But when the bugs are bad and hot use the nano net.

thom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++