WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I've been quite cold on a number of occasions, and I currently live in Maine. What I can't do in outdoor overnight hikes with my summer gear prior to starting the trail, I make up for in tolerance to the cold.

Interested to see what else people have to say as well.
    I say your a fool to think that. You can get hypothermia as quickly as anyone else. Coming out of a cold Maine winter is an asset, but doesn't make you superman.

As for your gear list, I would add long johns and a long sleeve thermal base top. They can be light weight, but you really should have them. As it is you have no "camp" or sleep clothes. Trade off the camp shoes if you want to keep the weight about the same. Even with those added, your a bit marginal for March, based on historical records. But you never know, we might just not get a winter on the east coast this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I say your a fool to think that. You can get hypothermia as quickly as anyone else. Coming out of a cold Maine winter is an asset, but doesn't make you superman.

As for your gear list, I would add long johns and a long sleeve thermal base top. They can be light weight, but you really should have them. As it is you have no "camp" or sleep clothes. Trade off the camp shoes if you want to keep the weight about the same. Even with those added, your a bit marginal for March, based on historical records. But you never know, we might just not get a winter on the east coast this year.
    Thanks for the input Slo-go'en. I don't think that I'm not as susceptible to hypothermia because I live in Maine, or that I've been cold before - I believe that the gear I'm bringing will help me combat it.

I typically sleep in an extra pair of shorts (which are on the gear list), and a t-shirt (also on the gear list). If it gets colder than that, I'll wear my puffy and beanie to sleep, which is more usually more than enough. Around camp I'll throw on my camp shoes, keep my pants on from the day, and again, add the puffy, a fleece if I need to, and the beanie for walking around.

I thought it might be overkill to bring my UnderArmour Cold Gear base layer as well, but it might make for good sleeping/camp wear (usually too hot to hike in). I've added it back onto the list - thanks again!
    Last edited by bemental; 12-07-2015 at 21:29.

Hiking pants don't do much to keep your legs warm when in camp, often their wet too. Your Cold Gear base layer will get lots of use. You need a minimum of two base layers. One you keep dry for camp and sleeping, the other to hike in.

I tried to go without long johns a couple of times and ended up buying a pair along the trail before long. And that was with April starts. Now I just carry them all the time, except during the peak of summer.

I don't know what kind of nylon shirt you have, but I use a Dickie work shirt. It has a fair cotton content, but even so it dries quick enough with body heat, is pretty wind proof, is reasonably warm and is definitely durable. But it is a little heavy.

Oh, and don't forget the sunblock. If it isn't raining, your in the sun.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Glad to hear you're going to give this another try. I'll be rooting for you.

I just read the Arc Haul thread, so I see now where these two threads go together. The Arc Haul will make a good thru-hike pack, I think. And if it can shave two pounds from your setup, and let you carry a headlamp and a mini-Bic, so much the better. (Kidding.) I do find a small headlamp valuable, especially early and late in the season. It's pretty easy to get into camp at dinner time in March and it's already dark, having a headlamp helps when pitching my small tent and making dinner. I recently replaced my BD Spot with a Zebralight which takes 1 AA battery. I like the new light a lot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Since added the mini Bic and my headlamp to my gear list. Makes sense to bring them, even if I don't plan on using them (they'll still end up getting some use one way or another).

Updated my pack as well, already cleaning my old pack and putting it up for sale.
    Sorry I missed whatever pack you had originally, but be careful - a lighter pack is often less comfortable...if you're keeping your weight very low it's okay but otherwise you may end up regretting going with a lighter pack. I don't see any water or food on your list. Make sure you plan with those in mind. I prefer to have a heavier food and water weight than to be on the verge of running out all the time or facing a day without eating if I lag behind.

Since you are considering the Arc Haul, have a look at the Vargo Ti-Arc as well. It's a pretty great pack IF your weight is kept under 30lbs:
    Regular version, 38oz
    Cuben Fiber version, 31oz, note the lack of upper side pockets

Journal Entries
    Images

Fireplug, thanks for the ZPacks recommendation. I'm looking at getting one of their packs now, most likely the Arc Haul in Dyneema (60L, 24oz) - about half the weight of my current pack.

Reviews look good, just waiting to hear back from them about some custom bits for the pack.
    Order quick. It takes 4 to 6 weeks. They are slammed. I live real close so I just drive to them

You can always try a pack ftom hyperlight mountain gear. They are in Biddeford, so a 2 hour drive for you.

Thanks for the continued suggestions - I pulled the trigger on a ZPacks Arc Haul.

Garlic
    Images

As you recognize, you are not immune to hypothermia, but at least you will have plenty of opportunity in ME to be sure your hiking and sleeping setups will work in the low teens with blowing snow, for several days in a row. That's what I encountered twice in the high country north of Fontana Dam. And I started in April. I'm sure you know it--do not underestimate spring weather in the southern Appalachians.

I own a EE Rev30 and it's the best gear purchase I've made in many years. I'm 5-9 and the regular length is long enough to pull over my head as a hood. I hope you find yours works as well as mine does.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

This is my first post here and I can't offer much advice on your pack, but I did notice you're from Orono, ME. I live in Hampden and I am also planning a thru-hike in 2016! I'm not starting until much later (Mid April) but if you're looking for someone for any shakedowns or practice hikes or anything before then, please keep me in mind.

The folks on the external battery thread are talking about a 10000mah battery.

Images

Yeah brother I love my thick Under Armor cold gear. Good on ya brother. I hit the trail in the morning. Have a good hike dude!!

I already have the 17,000 mAh battery pack, and I'd hate to buy a new one, although it would drop some weight since the thing is around a pound.

Thanks for the continued suggestions - I pulled the trigger on a ZPacks Arc Haul.
    I forget if I mentioned this before, and pardon my "One-Note-Sally" response, but make sure to get the optional lumbar pad. I have a Blast and a Zero and they are incredibly comfortable with no lumbar pad, but the addition of the CF crossbar at the bottom of the Haul caused me some pain in the lumbar/sacrum region. Totally cured with the addition of the lumbar pad, and I have read of others who also found the lumbar pad a great addition for this particular model. My Arc Blast is the older one 2013 or '14, but Zpacks is now using the same frame configuration on the Blast, so if it were me I'd absolutely, definitely get the lumbar pad.

Only suggestion I would make to your gear list is to give some thought to taking along a set of gaiters. I started on march 20th in 2013. The first week or so the weather was okay. Then the snows came. There were more than a few mornings when I was postholing through 8 inches of snow and 15 inch drifts with a line of hikers literally following in my footsteps. I was the only one out there with gaiters. They were short, event shorty gaiters but they kept the snow from running up between my pants and my legs. Good thing about the south is that there's always a bail out point not too far away and plenty of shuttles available to get you to a hostel or town.

I appreciate you and others posting your gear lists. I am more of a short-term backpacker, and I when I first decided to do the AT this year I was thinking more of my gear was light enough to avoid replacement, but now I'm thinking several big-ticket items are going to have to be replaced. My pack isn't too bad, an external frame 26.6 oz Jansport that will hold more than I could ever need, but the two biggies, tent and sleeping bag, are WAY heavier than any gear list I've seen. To make matters worse, for 45 oz sleeping bag is only 30 deg. That added weight probably wouldn't be catastrophic if it was a 20 deg, but leaving in late March, April 1st at the latest, I have to consider the weight of whatever else is keeping me warm. My mammoth tent is a Eureka Backcountry -- 85.6 whopping oz. This has obviously got to go, and will be one of the more expensive replacements. I do have a netting system and ultralight tarp that could weigh in at under under two pounds, but I'm not sure I like this for the early colder months.

As far as being used to cold weather... I have been in upstate ny the past few years and -10 days and colder nights are routine some years, but that doesn't make me any more willing to freeze on a long-distance hike. I am never cold when I'm hiking, but once I stop and especially for sleep, I like to be warm. The trail offers enough challenges, I would be willing to carry an extra couple pounds if it keeps me warm enough to sleep at night.

My gear list in case anybody's interested... At this point this is mostly me weighing in existing equipment so I can see where I need to make replacements. Haven't gotten to clothing yet, but I've pulled out all my polyester and don't expect to make many expensive purchases there.

http://lighterpack.com/r/19ercp

I already have the 17,000 mAh battery pack, and I'd hate to buy a new one, although it would drop some weight since the thing is around a pound.
    This to me is the easiest and cheapest way to drop over a half pound from your pack. I just ordered a smaller Anker because I felt my big one weighed too much and I really don't need to charge my phone 8 times between towns.

Bemental,
    I thru hiked in 2014, starting March 26. I carried a Marmot Helium (15 degree, 38 oz) bag from Springer to Damascus (Thermarest X-therm insulated pad). I still slept with my clothes on to stay warm. It may be warmer this year, but not worth the risk. I switched to a JRB quilt in Damascus and supplemented that with my Ghost Whisperer down jacket when needed. That may be a bit optimistic with a March 1 start date.

I cooked on an Evernew Ti alcohol stove (with heat exchanger) for the entire hike. I like alcohol stoves...simple, light and nothing to break. But, I looked on with envy when other hikers would fire up their Jetboil stoves and have instant hot food and drinks. I am carrying a Jetboil (Ti) to Damascus where I will switch to alcohol.

On another note...I used to wear silk unders until my wife broke the news to me that I stunk. I now wear Merino wool for the benefit of everyone else.

I may see you on the trail...I plan on heading north again from Springer during that first week of March. I am retired and have a very understanding wife.

Good luck,
    Forester Gump

Journal Entries
    Images

Fireplug, thanks for the ZPacks recommendation. I'm looking at getting one of their packs now, most likely the Arc Haul in Dyneema (60L, 24oz) - about half the weight of my current pack.

Reviews look good, just waiting to hear back from them about some custom bits for the pack.
    better order soon. All their stuff is custom made and can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to get. Call and talk to Matt. I've met him a few times at their shop. Great guy. Also RedBeard works there now. I live about 40 miles from their shop.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I forget if I mentioned this before, and pardon my "One-Note-Sally" response, but make sure to get the optional lumbar pad. I have a Blast and a Zero and they are incredibly comfortable with no lumbar pad, but the addition of the CF crossbar at the bottom of the Haul caused me some pain in the lumbar/sacrum region. Totally cured with the addition of the lumbar pad, and I have read of others who also found the lumbar pad a great addition for this particular model. My Arc Blast is the older one 2013 or '14, but Zpacks is now using the same frame configuration on the Blast, so if it were me I'd absolutely, definitely get the lumbar pad.

All the Zpacks packs are now using the lumbar pad. It's standard now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++