WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Mugs

Default Coffee Mugs

Still learning the ropes but so far I have been making my coffee (instant) in a cup that fits inside my pot. It is a very hot cup so not that fun to use, but not bad when cold out as I have my gloves on.

Typical routine, wake up, make coffee. sip hot coffee while water boils for oatmeal or breakfast meal. let both sit while I break down camp. Finish coffee, eat, make second cup and let sit. use privy. pack rest of stuff up, but I can't completely pack until the coffee is gone. This means longer in camp than I need to. maybe in the summer when days are long, an extra 20 mins would be nice. but now I would prefer to be hiking.

I'm not sure I want the weight, but does anyone use a proper mug that won't spill? This would allow me to enjoy the coffee for an hour or so while hiking. Does anyone carry a 16-20 oz mug? Are their lightweight options?

by not spill I mean a mug I could put in one of the water pouches that I can reach without taking off the pack. that way I could stop take a swig, and continue. FYI, I have trekking poles in my hands so I can't just hold it.

I've gotten used to adding hot coco powder or instant breakfast powder, pack of trader joes instant coffee and a pack of via in a Gatorade bottle. Taste good with cold water and doesn't leak. Have your first cup hot while packing and make one of these to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the GSI mug. Very light. Comes with a cozy that has a non-skid surface on the bottom. Top fits snug.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I've gotten used to adding hot coco powder or instant breakfast powder, pack of trader joes instant coffee and a pack of via in a Gatorade bottle. Taste good with cold water and doesn't leak. Have your first cup hot while packing and make one of these to go...

Are you saying you make your hot coffee in the Gatorade bottle? or the second cup in the Gatorade is made cold?

No cold only....I only carry a SP 600 as pot and or mug...hot in mug only or a nalgene

Assumes you aren't using trekking poles? I mean, who can hike and sip from a cup and use poles at the same time....?

16.9 oz bottle, bustelo instant espresso, pack of hot choco mix, cold water, mix, shake, drink. get out of bag, pack and go. have another at 10am, at 12pm. continue the march....they hell with hot, thats for sissy and the day hikers.

or, if you are a potential ranger, just eat a spoonful of expresso chrystals, tear a hole in the tent, and run off into the woods.

or get some caffinated fruit flavored drink mix and do that.

I don't think this would work. I can barely fit a Nalgene bottle in the pocket and retrieve it one handed. This is even wider then a Nalgene bottle.

The GSI infinity mug is water tight when closed, so you could just clip it on your shoulder strap and unclip it to drink? It's an awesome mug!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

It's not a walking cup but works for us.

http://www.rei.com/product/787278/sea-to-summit-x-mug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    The GSI infinity mug is water tight when closed, so you could just clip it on your shoulder strap and unclip it to drink? It's an awesome mug!
    Thanks for that Idea, That would work as I have even clipped a litter Nalgene bottle there at times and then I would not use up a pocket where I normally have water.

Zojirusi stainless steel 16 ounce mug.
    Locking leakproof lid and one handed operation.
    Keeps coffee hot for hours. Works even better if you warm it with hot water first.
    I've used mine daily to take coffee to work for a couple years now. They also make a wide mouth version for food.

SM-KHE48

http://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/smkhe

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Just my opinion, but a hot drink in the morning is part of my wake-up process. For me, this wake-up process should be done in a relaxed, non-rushed manner. Sipping from a mug while I'm trying to hike, hold trekking poles, and pant and gasp while climbing up hill is not for me.

Images

Ummmmmm..... Hot coffee in the morning.... One of the great pleasures in life, and I sure enjoy it on the trail; thanks for this link, I might replace my current mug:

http://www.rei.com/product/794090/se...delta-insulmug

with that one, or even this one from the same site:

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/gourmet-n...ml?color=Green

I like the nesting thing for my occasional morning oatmeal. My current mug is around 4 ounces as I do not bother carrying the lid. Looks like I can save nearly an ounce.

BTW, someone asked: Easy to temporarily place one trekking pole under ones armpit (same arm as is holding other pole) to free up one hand while hiking. I do this all the time. Still, I'd rather sit and enjoy my morning 2 cups of coffee; I'm not in that much of a hurry most mornings.

I really like that GSI mug. Gotta have a lotta hot coffee in the morning, and the neoprene cozy really keeps it hot for a while, even down to 0F and below. Not bad for something that holds 17 fluid oz and weighs ~3.5oz.

As for hiking while drinking coffee, it isn't that hard to stow one pole or to carry both poles in one hand for a while. Just slow the pace a little and it's no problem.

Photo of me drinking coffee from the GSI mug while hiking a hilly part of the Link Trail along Loyalsock Creek in PA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought mine at llbean. Holds two cups so doubles as a measuring cup when making padta sides.

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to check out the GSI one. While I might not be in a hurry in the summer, now the sun sets by 5pm. Also, if cold in the morning, I might just prefer to pack up quick and start walking and enjoy stopping and sipping the coffee as I go.

Looks like I'll be asking Santa for a GSI mug this Christmas !
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++