WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    They are being human. Humans are predators. We instinctively love being predators. Ever watch a cat after it kills? It's happy, too.

further, i guess myself and man others aren't human then?

I say again, perhaps other states need to look at Maine. We have all the "evil" methods of killing bears, we have plenty of bears, and we have no "problem" bears. We have less people too. I hope none of the above changes for a very long time.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    is civilized society not largely about reining in our primal instincts? theres plenty of other primal instincts we've decided we aren't going to indulge in and tolerate, and in most cases rightly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    They are being human. Humans are predators. We instinctively love being predators. Ever watch a cat after it kills? It's happy, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    That goes to our primal instinct and it's not unique to humans. That's why so many birds die from cats... primal instinct.

So many captive animals show this instinct, despite them needing to behave this way.
    This is the story we've been told and LARGELY ONLY TOLD. Actually, science is now discovering and RE-DISCOVERING what Darwin observed...very few behaviors are entirely genetic. While there may be a contributing genetic component to behavior that correlation DOES NOT equal causation when it comes to behavior whether it be in human or other animal behavior. What's being observed, AND RE-EXAMINED IN A WIDER CONTEXT, is that behavior in humans and in wild animals can also be described as not only SELFISH but also PRO-SOCIAL, OR COOPERATION even among different species. It's clearly observed in human and other species behavior, EVEN AMONG DIFFERENT PLANT SPECIES. WE KNOW humans have the capacity for altruism, empathy, and cooperation NOT ONLY among each other but with other species!

This notion that humans act ONLY as predators or that natural selection is ONLY about competition is narrow minded and most often used to justify self serving purposes.

Even though humans act predatory at times those times have to be taken into context with what was shared earlier:
    is civilized society not largely about reining in our primal instincts? theres plenty of other primal instincts we've decided we aren't going to indulge in and tolerate, and in most cases rightly so.

Regardless of our primal instincts, if we choose to consume animals there really is no moral difference between hunting for the meat or buying it at the grocery store or restaurant. In fact killing what one eats is if anything more intellectually honest as we can see the direct cause and effect of our choices. I was raised vegetarian but now eat meat occasionally and I admit that I really enjoy the occasional burger, steak, or fried chicken. I'm not sure I'd have the stomach to kill in order to have those things. It is an inherent contradiction that few recognize.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Regardless of our primal instincts, if we choose to consume animals there really is no moral difference between hunting for the meat or buying it at the grocery store or restaurant. In fact killing what one eats is if anything more intellectually honest as we can see the direct cause and effect of our choices. I was raised vegetarian but now eat meat occasionally and I admit that I really enjoy the occasional burger, steak, or fried chicken. I'm not sure I'd have the stomach to kill in order to have those things. It is an inherent contradiction that few recognize.
    i dont disagree with what you're saying at face value, but you maybe are also sort of implying that that is a big reason why people hunt and i'm sorry but it isn't.

i dont disagree with what you're saying at face value, but you maybe are also sort of implying that that is a big reason why people hunt and i'm sorry but it isn't.
    If a guy goes out hunting deer and enjoys it for the thrill of killing a live animal and then goes home and packs up the usable meat and puts it in his freezer for the winter, how is his enjoyment of the act relevant? He's taken a life to facilitate his desired consumption of meat. There are people who take pleasure in looking at the elaborate meat displays at Whole Foods and making a purchase. I'm not sure it is very different. In other words, I don't care if someone enjoys hunting or not. If they are hunting for food, it is the equivalent of shopping at the grocery store and perhaps more morally honest since you're personally taking the life that's feeding you. Hunting purely for sport is a different story for me. I don't understand it and don't like the concept but it is a free country and I've never been around the hunting culture enough to really understand why someone would be motivated to go into the woods to kill living creatures for nothing other than sport.

I am curious, do you hunt?

Images

I'm sorry but it is. I don't think you know ANYTHING about hunters or hunting. Some of the things you've said about hunters in this thread are mere imagination projected onto them. I've always thought that making negative generalizations and stereotyping any group based on ignorance was a bad thing. I hike, and I hunt. I enjoy hunting, and I enjoy eating the meat I get from it. It's legal, and to me it's moral, more moral than buying meat in a store or restaurant.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

I hunted for decades. I enjoyed the hunt. I enjoyed the meat from the hunt. Deer, moose, rabbit, partridge, etc is much better than beef in my opinion. I eat beef because I no longer prioritize the time to hunt. Fishing is a similar thing. I love the sport of fishing. I used to eat the fish when I was going after Brookies. Now that I fish for bass, I toss them all back and let them get bigger. It is likely that some will find that practice disgusting too. Oh well....
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I'm sorry but it is. I don't think you know ANYTHING about hunters or hunting. Some of the things you've said about hunters in this thread are mere imagination projected onto them. I've always thought that making negative generalizations and stereotyping any group based on ignorance was a bad thing. I hike, and I hunt. I enjoy hunting, and I enjoy eating the meat I get from it. It's legal, and to me it's moral, more moral than buying meat in a store or restaurant.
    I think part of the reason people think like Tdoczi is that they see reports like those of the younger Trumps on big game hunts ( https://www.thedodo.com/trump-speaks...275724124.html ) and are then forced to hear more traditional hunters defend them.

On the other hand I think if most of us saw the suffering animals endure on factory farms, we would all be eating venison.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    On the other hand I think if most of us saw the suffering animals endure on factory farms, we would all be eating venison.
    Or refrain from ingesting meat altogether.

Images

If a guy goes out hunting deer and enjoys it for the thrill of killing a live animal and then goes home and packs up the usable meat and puts it in his freezer for the winter, how is his enjoyment of the act relevant? He's taken a life to facilitate his desired consumption of meat. There are people who take pleasure in looking at the elaborate meat displays at Whole Foods and making a purchase. I'm not sure it is very different. In other words, I don't care if someone enjoys hunting or not. If they are hunting for food, it is the equivalent of shopping at the grocery store and perhaps more morally honest since you're personally taking the life that's feeding you. Hunting purely for sport is a different story for me. I don't understand it and don't like the concept but it is a free country and I've never been around the hunting culture enough to really understand why someone would be motivated to go into the woods to kill living creatures for nothing other than sport.
    again, if your assessment of their motivation is correct i dont disagree. IF

theres a perhaps subtle difference between killing something because you enjoy the act of killing it, and then eating it as an afterthought, and killing it because you want to eat it and the enjoyment being a coincidental biproduct. specifically when talking about bears i have a hard time imagining getting to eat it is a big motivation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I am curious, do you hunt?
    nope. never have, never will. you couldnt pay me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post

what is the main, #1 top of the list thing you enjoy about hunting?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I think part of the reason people think like Tdoczi is that they see reports like those of the younger Trumps on big game hunts ( https://www.thedodo.com/trump-speaks...275724124.html ) and are then forced to hear more traditional hunters defend them.

perhaps, but to me its really that i question the true motives of a great many hunters. in particular when it comes to bear i just have a hard time beleiveing "i think itd be fun to kill a bear" isnt far higher on the list than it should be.

Journal Entries
    Images

perhaps, but to me its really that i question the true motives of a great many hunters. in particular when it comes to bear i just have a hard time beleiveing "i think itd be fun to kill a bear" isnt far higher on the list than it should be.
    I think there is truth to that.

You are exactly right. I have been in slaughter houses and seen what happens. When ever I buy a steak, pork or chicken I think about it. I am paying someone else to kill and prepare my meat for me so I don't have to do the dirty work, pure and simple.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Because were managing the population so there's not too much growth per year and they're tasty

love peace and chicken grease

Quote Originally Posted by joker52186 View Post
    Because were managing the population so there's not too much growth per year and they're tasty

love peace and chicken grease
    No way man! It ain't possible. Are you sure you like the taste of bear? Admit it. You are just a meany that hates bears and kittens and the environment.

Images

what is the main, #1 top of the list thing you enjoy about hunting?
    The number one thing I enjoy about hunting is hunting.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++