WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Late December/early January trip

Either xmas weekend or the new year weekend I plan on heading up to the whites with my wife looking for some snow. There is nothing here in mass and I doubt there will be for a while. I'm going to drive up first thing to arrive for 6am 7am the latest. I'd like to be able to get in two or three miles and set up camp then hit a peak. Or maybe a loop into a really nice valley I just really want to see some snow. This is our first time winter camping so having a bail out option of being closer to the car is a good idea. Anything doable without a harness and rope is what we are looking for. We have everything else needed gear wise in my opinion. We've only been up there once and did Webster cliff to Crawford path and got turned around due to the weather. I would assuming anything like that Webster cliff climb would be a sheet of ice right now due to the warm weather we have been having. Any tips pointing me in the right direction would be great as I'm trying to narrow some things down on the map. I feel since we know the bottom of Crawford path maybe we should stick around there? Or the opposite side of the road? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first thought since you mention setting up camp then hitting a peak is Unknown Pond campsite and then go for Mt. Cabot and the Horn. There are literally tons of options. You could hike into the Pemi to 13 Falls Campsite and go for Owl's Head or Garfield or North Twin.

I am betting that by then the entire area will be covered in lots of snow.

Can see the the Presidentials from where I hiked in Maine this weekend and a lot of the surrounding peaks were white. Lack of Snow in the White mountains isnt usually an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    My first thought since you mention setting up camp then hitting a peak is Unknown Pond campsite and then go for Mt. Cabot and the Horn. There are literally tons of options. You could hike into the Pemi to 13 Falls Campsite and go for Owl's Head or Garfield or North Twin.

I am betting that by then the entire area will be covered in lots of snow.
    How is the parking at the end of mill brook road rt 11? Will there be issues if it's snowing at anytime of my car being there from the time it arrives till it leaves? It looks like a pretty steep climb into camp. Will the climb up to camp and mt Cabot be doable in snowshoes or will we have to switch over to crampons and axe?

Sorry that's not a bad hike at all. I was looking into something else. All I really need help with unknown pond is which trailhead to use when weather might be questionable. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Sorry that's not a bad hike at all. I was looking into something else. All I really need help with unknown pond is which trailhead to use when weather might be questionable. Thanks
    I'd go in from the north end. The road to the Fish hatchery is pretty rough on a good day, don't risk it in the winter, even though it is unlikely we will get any significant snow in the next two weeks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That was my first plan off of millbrook rd. I'm assuming there are houses out there so it's just a dead end?

That was my first plan off of millbrook rd. I'm assuming there are houses out there so it's just a dead end?
    I'm not familiar with Mill Brook road but from my Gazette it looks to be an "improved" logging road. There maybe some summer camps along the road, but unless you have high clearance 4WD, I doubt you'd get far even with no snow. Most likely it's signed as a snowmobile trail. You'd need to go in via the Killkenny trail which starts at the state park. Now you have a pretty rugged hike ahead of you. Unknown pond is a really neat place, but I don't think I'd go there this time of year.

Do you have any other suggestions for the area for this time of year? If I only get one good view and a decent spot to stay I'm happy.

Do you have any other suggestions for the area for this time of year? If I only get one good view and a decent spot to stay I'm happy.
    Come to Randolph, park at Lowe's Garage and hike up Lowe's path to Gray Knob. It's a cabin located just below tree line on Mt Adams with a caretaker ($20 over night fee) and if it's cold enough he'll light the wood stove. If you want to ruff it, you can go over to the unheated cabin "Crag Camp" (but will still cost you $20). Unless there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, you can't camp outside.

It's 3.5 miles to the cabin with the last mile being really steep and can be very icy so bring microspikes. My avatar is a picture taken from "the Quay", which you break out to just before getting to the cabin. If the weather and conditions are good you can wander up above tree line.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Come to Randolph, park at Lowe's Garage and hike up Lowe's path to Gray Knob. It's a cabin located just below tree line on Mt Adams with a caretaker ($20 over night fee) and if it's cold enough he'll light the wood stove. If you want to ruff it, you can go over to the unheated cabin "Crag Camp" (but will still cost you $20). Unless there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, you can't camp outside.

It's 3.5 miles to the cabin with the last mile being really steep and can be very icy so bring microspikes. My avatar is a picture taken from "the Quay", which you break out to just before getting to the cabin. If the weather and conditions are good you can wander up above tree line.
    That sounds pretty sweet. Ditching our heavy winter tent wouldn't be a problem but we really prefer staying outside since we haven't been able to use it yet. Is the no camping unless there is 2 feet of snow a rule a cross the board or just there?

That sounds pretty sweet. Ditching our heavy winter tent wouldn't be a problem but we really prefer staying outside since we haven't been able to use it yet. Is the no camping unless there is 2 feet of snow a rule a cross the board or just there
    You are bound by the general limitations of camping in the White Mountains, which means there are very few places you can camp due to either regulations or terrain. Gary Knob and Crag Camp are essentially at tree line and there is no camping at or above tree line unless there is 2 feet or more of snow. Also the cabins are in a RUA area, which means no camping with in 1/4 mile so the cabins, which puts you on the side of a steep mountain. In any event, there are no suitable places to tent near the cabins.

There are two alternatives if you do want to try tenting. One is to go to The Perch, which is also run by the RMC and is about 1.5 miles from Gray Knob, but over towards Mt Jefferson. The Perch has a log lean-to and four tent platforms. The best way to get there is via the Lowe's Path, then the Randolph Path. Check your map. The Perch is also near tree line and there are good views near-by from the Gray Knob trail.

The other option is the Valley Way tent site which is located about 1/2 mile below the Madison Hut. In this case you park at Trails parking on RT 2 (also known as Appalacia) and go up via the Valley Way trail. This puts you in a good position to climb up to Mt Madison if conditions are good or just climb up to tree line.

Your only other option is to stay at low elevations and go to one of tent sites in the Pemi.

My only concern about those rmc huts is showing up and not having any room. They look exceptional. Are the colder months usually busy up there? Loosing a shelter and stove is a significant weight loss but if things don't go as planned it could be very bad.

Can always join RMC and/or ask them. I believe RMC members get a discount on the fees. If i remember correctly, its $30 for a single membership. $60 for family.

The Forest Service is starting to close roads in WMNF.
    Last edited by egilbe; 12-13-2015 at 20:23.

The Gray Knob cabin can get busy on a Saturday night or holiday weekend, but otherwise is quiet. Worse comes to worse, you sleep on one of the tables down stairs.

++ New Posts ++