WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Best camera clip I have found to date. I received this last week and took it on my first hike over the weekend. Worked flawlessly, camera does not slide around, move, shift, etc.

https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/

Make sure you get the pro-pad in addition to the clip.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Thanks for the fairly balanced discussion of film vs digital. I've hiked with a Contax G, Rollei 35, and other classic film rangefinders with excellent results.

I would add that for something that's done only once in a lifetime, there may be an advantage to having tangible tactile negatives and paper prints rather than just 0's and 1's on digital media that will be inaccessible after a few years, and may even disappear in an instant when a hard drive crashes.

When I first discovered trailplace years ago one of the hot topics of the time was what type of camera to take -- film or digital. That doesn't come up so often these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Thanks for the fairly balanced discussion of film vs digital. I've hiked with a Contax G, Rollei 35, and other classic film rangefinders with excellent results.

I would add that for something that's done only once in a lifetime, there may be an advantage to having tangible tactile negatives and paper prints rather than just 0's and 1's on digital media that will be inaccessible after a few years, and may even disappear in an instant when a hard drive crashes.
    Cloud computing!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Talking

film vs digital should not be a debate; both are valid mediums. Like to walk or ride horses? Why, there are automobiles now!

Of course there are storage solutions, which regrettably change from year to year, and they are rarely used and have their own problems over the times span of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Cloud computing!
    I used both, although I've lost all digital photos older than 2008 due to hard drive crashes. I still have all the film negs of course.

It would be nice if media failure, product obsolescence, and format changes were not major problems over time, wouldn't it?
    Think of all the time and effort going into taking images that simply evaporate so easily...

from Swain's camera (UK):

“There is”, he said, “a real danger that a family who don’t make prints or manage their electronic images will find themselves without any photo history. He compared this to the Domesday book, created on paper in 1086 and still readable today over 900 years later. Yet in 1986 a new Domesday book was created, at a cost of £2.5 million containing maps, pictures and video footage, It was stored on CD and is no longer readable.
    “We need” said Williams “to shock people into realising that their heritage is not preserved electronically.

There's more on Print it or Lose it here:

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I will define a long distance hike as being one in which you have the time to grow a respectable beard.
    Still reading thru this but the time it takes to grow a respectable beard for the ladies is hopefully longer than 6 months!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++