WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Question Sleeping Bag in August?

Plans are to hike the AT in SNP second week of August 2016. Recommendations for sleeping bag, pad, or other, etc??

Consider a light weight (40 deg) quilt instead of a bag. It's lighter and more versatile than a traditional sleeping bag. They have some drawbacks in cold weather but for summer, I really like them. They are generally available from cottage companies. I got mine from Underground Quilts.

Wouldnt need much of anything for August. Any lightweight sleeping bag or quilt would be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Consider a light weight (40 deg) quilt instead of a bag. It's lighter and more versatile than a traditional sleeping bag. They have some drawbacks in cold weather but for summer, I really like them. They are generally available from cottage companies. I got mine from Underground Quilts.
    Agree. Hate a quilt any other time of year except the middle of summer. Consider a cheap poncho liner from a surplus store or get one of those fleece sleeping bags from WalMart. Not the lightest alternative but way cheap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slake View Post
    Plans are to hike the AT in SNP second week of August 2016. Recommendations for sleeping bag, pad, or other, etc??
    You should expect temperatures at night to be around 60 degrees, a bit cooler if you're camping on a ridge in the wind. A 50* quilt would do fine.
    I like the idea of a simple fleece liner also if you have a camping bag you can strip the liner from. For a down insulator use a CCF pad ( blue foam roll found at Wal-Mart in the camping section ), $9 and be done with it . If you need more cushion between you and the ground then try the 1" self inflating pads that you can buy at your local big box Outfitters like a Dicks or Cabelas.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

A loin cloth and a fan. Or a 50 degree quilt. Which ever works best.

++ New Posts ++