WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GPS for Trail Mapping of Mason Dixon Trail

I would like to section hike the MDTS this coming year. It is just short of 200 miles. There are old maps, but there does not appear to be GPS files. Since much of the trail is not hiked often it is difficult to follow at times and a GPS map would be helpful for later doing a through hike of the trail, and could be made available to other hikers.

I have no GPS unit today other than what is in my phone. Is there a consumer grade GPS that could track the trail as I hike it? or is this outside the scope of a amateur product? Any suggested models? Could I edit out mistakes where I get lost? What is a good source to learn how to create such a GPS file?

Thanks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mason Dixon is present in the My Trails - High Quality Trail and POI Maps Map available for download at gpsfiledepot.com: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

Using Garmin Base Camp, it can be uploaded to most Garmin handheld units. The file has a zillion trails in it and they all get uploaded to your unit. It works very well and use it as my primary wherever I go.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries
    Images

Upon closer inspection, it only contains the eastern portion, from the AT to the Susquehanna...
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Thanks, I had asked at the MTDS website and they did not have a file. So at least this would be a start. If I can't find a file, it would be nice to create one. The maps are OK, but the base geological maps are from the 90's I at least locally they are missing many roads/developments which make them harder to follow.

One of my trail volunteer duties for an "other trail" is to prepare the trail maps and geodata. I have been using for this purpose Garmin 76CSx units obtained through a grant 10 years ago. You might get 2 days out of a set of AA batteries. Newer Garmin units according to my sources are no more accurate for trail mapping purposes but some may eat through batteries quicker.

When I posed this question to another "other trail" mapping guru (this time professional staff) at a conference this fall, he said instead of the Garmin rigs nowadays, he supplements an iPhone (or other iOS device, it only needs Bluetooth and the capability of running iOS 8 or higher) with a Bad Elf. I haven't run out of my initial charge for the Bad Elf. The iPhone keeps charge a lot longer using airplane mode and bluetooth to the Bad Elf. But of course neither takes just plain batteries directly so for thru-hike conditions periodic recharge stops will be needed.

Skeeter, it's great that you want to make a GPS track of this trail and share it with other users.
    As mentioned above, track recording with one of the newer smart phones is now a viable option. Previous versions of the iPhone, recording of traffic really sucked down your battery, but the problem is pretty much solved in a few ways.

1) When you are recording a track and want to maximize battery life, be sure and put your phone in airplane mode, turn off the screen and just put the phone in your backpack.
    2) Always carry an auxiliary battery and short charging cable. The company Anker makes very well regarded auxiliary batteries, in just about every size you can imagine. You do not have to stop and recharge anything, just plug in your charger cable while you're walking and continue recording your track.
    3) The next question is what GPS app should you get? If you're on an iPhone, I highly recommend Gaia GPS. Search YouTube for some videos on how to get started using it, it's a great app, and it's very well supported, and used by many happy through hikers.
    4)) Check the GPS track sharing website "GPSies.com" before you go, there is a chance of someone else has already recorded this track and put it up.

++ New Posts ++