WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default waterproof journals?

Hello everyone

For those that write in a journal on the Appalachian Trail, which one do you use, like and why? I saw this at R.E.I., http://www.rei.com/product/783328/ri...-journal-large is this what most people get?

Thanks!
    A

im a first timer, and this is the one that I bought. I also bought a similar one that is for birding. on the left page is no lines and a place to draw a picture and the right has lines. so if you like to sketch you could get that one. water proof seemed the way to go, i would hate to document this great experience and have it get smeared and become illegible.

Images

I use the Rite-in-the rain products in the rainforest. The paper holds up great. Look online, they make lots of different products, from spiral bound to loose leaf in every size and pattern.

You should get a Rite-in-the-Rain pen to go with it. Expensive, but more reliable. Pencil works on this paper too if you want to save money.
    Last edited by imscotty; 11-25-2015 at 20:33.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Rite-in-the-rain paper is awesome and is what I've used to journal all my long-distance hikes. Don't bother with the pen--just use a mechanical pencil. Pens can run out of ink without warning, but a mechanical pencil with a few extra leads inside is foolproof.

FWIW, if you want to keep your pack weight down, get the loose leaf paper instead of the notebooks and just include a few extra sheets with your resupplies and mail the filled out pages home periodically.

IF you do want to write in pen as I sometimes do in my Rite in the Rain trail Journals that I've been using for more than 10 yrs not only use WP paper but also use a WP pen. My Trail Journals are like my diaries of all sorts of things I've experienced outdoors, who I've met, and golden nuggets of sage advice that I cherish and will reread and meditate upon many yrs after writing in them. It's my life on paper. I wish to hand them down to others that can glean wisdom from them after I'm gone. So, it was disheartening to experience writing in pencil in them that was increasingly fading with time and a blotted running of ink that was unreadable even on the WP paper when I used non WP ink/pens.

I used these on a job requiring keeping records outdoors in bad weather. Couldn't be better.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So, it was disheartening to experience writing in pencil in them that was increasingly fading with time and a blotted running of ink that was unreadable even on the WP paper when I used non WP ink/pens.
    I have journals that go back 30+ years on regular paper and the ones in pencil have never faded but the ones in ink have.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a GoPro

I type on the "Pages" app on my i6. Takes very little battery, easy to copy/paste in Trailjournals or other blog.

Does standard pencil not get washed off the waterproof paper?

Some of us like to sketch, and the tactile feel of paper and pen or pencil can make you feel better vetted with your subject or experience. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pencil does OK on rite in the rain. I prefer it over ink, actually.

I picked up a Stone paper notebook at Walgreen's $4.70. Pages are 5 1/4 (a tad over) X 8 1/4 @ 9.2 oz. with 60 pages, Poly covers. I'm gonna take a lot of pages out and bounce them north.

Thanks!

A

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    I use a GoPro
    What about 20 years from now when that technology is obsolete and no one has the software? Think 8 track tapes.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have an 8 track that still works. But I'm sure computers will be around in 20 years. I down load them to my IPad and keep the SD card. I think I'm good!

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Does standard pencil not get washed off the waterproof paper?
    Nope. It's even hard to erase it.

Journal Entries

Waterproof cellphone and journey app. Voice to text much faster than writing. Dictate a page faster than write a sentence. Just press microphone symbol next to android keyboard. And very accurate. Weighs very little as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-30-2015 at 19:24.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to choose the best approach for doing a lot of writing - I'll be writing sort of a memoir. In the end, I've decided to go "high tech." I'll do my communications, my photography, my videoing, and all my writing with an iPhone 6S+. To assist, I've also acquired an additional battery pack, a separate hard drive storage device (redundancy), a remote button for camera operation, and an almost full-size wireless (fold-up) keyboard. Of course this adds to the pack weight, but not too much and I'm willing to suffer the consequences. I hate typing on the small screen style keyboards and as someone mentioned, the voice powered dictation within Pages works pretty well.

In answer to the OP's original question, Rite-in-the-Rain is ridiculously good at what it does. Used similar books and pages religiously while in the militar.y I've literally taken notes on pages while it's raining, and the information is still there.

If cost isn't a hindrance, and longevity of the written word is what you're looking for, then RITR paper is for sure a good buy. I personally prefer the tan books, that's just my style (and they don't seem to show dirt marks/smears from your hand nearly as bad as the lighter colors).

I will say that certain pens, specifically the 'gel pens' (especially the G2 line) don't take very well to the paper as they're repelled upon writing. Either use a pencil, or test your pen on a few lines before committing to something to bring on the trail.

-----

Check Rite-in-the-Rain's website, specially their closeout section for some good deals.

http://www.riteintherain.com/ritr-sale-close-outs
    Last edited by bemental; 12-21-2015 at 19:06.

RITR pens also work underwater!

Also, the inkjet paper (weatherjet) for printing maps is simply amazing stuff.

++ New Posts ++