WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

12241044_1159008594126596_6432272670577927173_o.jpg
    I love hiking when the temps drop, keeps trails that often have too much traffic to fantastic getaways; snow makes a 14 mile over-nighter into quite an epic adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow.

Are you hitting the trail or putting the hiking boots in the closet?

If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days?
    I think you answered your own question here......

I don't hike much at all in the winter (very cold snowy icy). Last winter I stopped exercising altogether and payed for it this past summer. I'm 52 yrs old 6ft 3 and near 300 pounds. Hikes up Mt Moosilauke and Mount Chocorua (NH White Mountains) left me exhausted this past summer. It took me five hours to get up Moosilauke (Glen Cliff Trail) So yeah, I've gotten out of shape.

I'm looking for suggestions to get back into shape without "killing" myself in the process. I've joined a week or two ago Planet Fitness and am going a couple times a week at the moment.

DavidNH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow.

If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days?
    This is the strangest and most depressing thread I have ever read on Whiteblaze. Putting the hiking boots in the closet? No, just ordered a pair of Zamberlan hiking boots for a December trip and a January trip and a February trip.

Your quote: "If you ARE going hiking this time of year, I've got one question for you. WHY? Wouldn't it be best to wait for brighter days?"

Let's get sarcastic: "If you ARE going to stay home and indoors this time of year, I have to ask one nagging question: WHY??? Wouldn't it be best to get the heck out of the house and flee the indoor thermostat and the death-dealing couch and the TV nut-box and the cyber finger hiking and embrace pretty Miss Nature as she sports thru her variety of moods? Sleep with her when it's hot, sleep with her when it's cold. As long as we have a Nature to go out into, there's no other choice.

Thunder

why stop, went for a hike yesterday today checked over my skis and snowshoes to be ready for the snow in a month or more.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

Pulling together my first AT section hike for Thanksgiving weekend.

Fall is a great time for hiking in the South (properly equipped). Less heat, less 'traffic', and great views.

BTW, if anyone knows a cheap, reliable, shuttle from Woody Gap to Springer, drop me a pm. We're hoping to park at WG Friday morning, catch a lift to Springer, and hike back by Sunday night.

- Because cold weather is not a problem. You will carry a heavier pack, but will not overheat (you can always peel of a layer).
    - The food will stay fresh.
    - It is more beautiful.
    - It is enough light during the day.
    - No bugs.
    - The bears are taking a nap.
    - Less creepy people.

Journal Entries

Yep, still at it. Less light makes finding FRI night campsites after work challenging- but it's not slowing me down. I love this time of year!
    hikers gonna hike

No bugs, no snakes, less bears and best of all, very few people.

You have the entire place to yourself.

To me, winter is the best time to hike.

Just make sure you have a tested winter sleep system.

SOLITUDE!!!!! ...ill take cold over hot any day! Tipi hit the nail on the head! I enjoy the challenging conditions and weather.....

It is not as interesting for me as is the color moth here of late Oct. But bug-free, cooler, more raw, more weather challenges, and leaf litter on the trail masking hazards are all challenges and excitable points for me. I also run my trails and appreciate all of the stuff I mentioned- the masked hazards have injured me a little, but I take that challenge on as well! I also REALLY like the reduction and almost absence of trail traffic.

Just yesterday on one of my "off' day 5-mile loops, I was running along the river and spooked a Bald Eagle from a tree perch and s/he flew a hundred yards or so and perched again. We played cat-and-mouse as I continued my run downriver, watching each other. Without the loss of foliage, this encounter would not have been nearly as engaging, and might have been missed altogether.

On this same run, I encountered an 8-point rutted whitetail buck. Yeah, Nov and Dec are great!
    There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it.
    Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.

Ugg! Too many typos above. Here is the clean version...

It is not as interesting for me as is the color time here of late Oct. But bug-free, cooler, more rawness, more weather challenges, and leaf litter on the trail masking hazards are all challenges and excitable points for me. I also run my trails and appreciate all of the stuff I mentioned- the masked hazards have injured me a little, but I take that challenge on as well! I also REALLY like the reduction and almost absence of trail traffic.

Just yesterday on one of my "off' day 5-mile loops, I was running along the river and spooked a Bald Eagle from a tree perch and s/he flew a hundred yards or so downriver and perched again. We played cat-and-mouse as I continued my run downriver, watching each other. Without the loss of foliage, this encounter would not have been nearly as engaging, and might have been missed altogether.

On this same run, I encountered an 8-point rutted whitetail buck. Yeah, Nov and Dec are great!
    There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it.
    Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.

Quote Originally Posted by it_mike View Post
    Pulling together my first AT section hike for Thanksgiving weekend.

Fall is a great time for hiking in the South (properly equipped). Less heat, less 'traffic', and great views.

BTW, if anyone knows a cheap, reliable, shuttle from Woody Gap to Springer, drop me a pm. We're hoping to park at WG Friday morning, catch a lift to Springer, and hike back by Sunday night.
    Wes Wisson.

WHY??

Because it's the best time of year for bushwhacking, peak bagging, abandoned trail finding, trail maintenance, views, etc.

For me, the hiking season calendar starts in November, with July and August being the months I would be less inclined to take a long hard walk. November marks the start of crisp mornings, cool air, nearly perfect conditions for a walkabout. The late fall into winter is, in my view, a great time to hike as opposed to late spring and summer. Heat is not something you have to deal with, there are less people out and the people who are out tend to be part of the tribe so there are few teeth grinding moments, no bugs, wildlife you have to be wary of during the green months are sleeping (bears, snakes, etc), you can get into places on frozen ground or snowpack that are not accessible during warm months and see more wildlife at a distance with less foliage.

I find winter to be more challenging than summer and requires additional equipment to get around the forests. Sometimes the challenge is not as much the hike/terrain as it is figuring out what to bring and wear to stay warm, dry, and comfortable at various points of the journey when the temperatures dip toward zero with a significant wind. You have to really want it to even be out there, the camaraderie is much higher in these conditions when you come across other people.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Wes Wisson.
    Wes
    (706) 747-2671

I do most of my hiking from October through April. I like the cool daytime weather to hike in...no bugs...and when its cold you really enjoy a fire at the end of a long day. Early to bed also means you're going to be up at the crack of dawn so you're really taking advantage of every daylight hour.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Last week...

That's why...

Bring a book.

Or, switch to car camping. Get into camp early, have lots of warm gear, some good food, a nice lantern perhaps a fire..and enjoy being outside.

It is what we are doing over Thanksgiving.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

WHY? Would it not be best to wait for brighter days?
    What do you mean by "brighter"???? Will December be brighter? How about January or February?

Are you dissing November days in particular or all days during the winter season??

Mags has inspired me to post visual proof to answer WHY: Because it's awesome!

Images

Absolutely go hiking in November. Look at the fantastic weather we've had recently. Why not spend it on a trail?

That said, be prepared for winter condition as well. One of the worst winter storms I've been out in was in SNP in November. Started from the Skyline Drive, near Bear Fence Mountain Hut. First part of the trip was warm, sunny, no shirts kind of hiking. Got to Elk Wallow Wayside, met some employees who were closing up the restaurant/store for the winter. They warned us of an approaching storm. We hiked on to Gravel Springs Hut. Was still nice enough that I got water from the spring and washed my hair. Later that evening the storm rolled in. Rain -> Freezing Rain -> Sleet -> Snow -> Blizzard. Trees coming down around us from the ice accumulations. By morning had about 2 feet of snow on top of a thick layer of ice. VERY cold, still windy. Attempted to hike toward the Tom Floyd Wayside, but between the snow on the ground and the tree branches bending down under the ice and snow, we could not stand upright on the trail. Moved to the Skyline Drive that was completely closed down to traffic. Some places had to hike around 15 foot drifts on the roadway. Made it to the Tom Floyd for another very cold night.

Next morning, the bright sun was out, the forest transformed into a crystal palace of beauty. The warm sun made the hike out to the highway magical. Arrived at the highway just as our ride arrived at the crossing - perfect timing. Had to stay at her house for a couple of days before the Skyline Drive was re-opened and we could get back to our car. Wouldn't have missed this trip for anything.

Lyle's post reminds me of a trip in November 2013 during Thanksgiving weekend when a butt cold 2 day rain was followed by snow and temps down to 12F. I was on the Little Santeetlah trail in the Slickrock wilderness in NC and suffered in an early season cold snap. It was freakish and might've been the same storm system which hit Lyle.

A 12F COLD November morning in North Carolina. What's the worst thing about winter backpacking? Packing up in the morning.

The worst is over as the frozen icy tent is down and stuffed in the sack. Let's get the heck out of Dodge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++