WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Who can describe or explain the lock step to me?

I am still quite the Newby and I feel like this could be a game changer for me. I have only heard it referenced a few times but nothing in detail or description. Would this be a help to me since I run out of air going up steep hills?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Are you referring to what I call a resting step, a method used to take a split second rest each step going up steep hills.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Measured steps at a unhurried pace.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Are you referring to what I call a resting step, a method used to take a split second rest each step going up steep hills.
    Yes, that's what I mean. I googled it but didn't get a clear picture.

Its easier to demonstrate than to describe (if I get this wrong someone please help). The lockstep technique is used during long climbs, usually on steep but fairly even or predictable terrain (when each step is approximately the same length and/or height). When the uphill foot is placed, the leg pulls the body up then is straightened and the knee is "locked", supporting the body, the downhill leg rests as it swings forward, then becomes the uphill leg. The technique can allow you to cover a lot of ground, though a little more slowly, without having to stop.

The rhythm is kind of like, step, pull, lock, swing, step, pull, lock, swing. I usually try to establish a rhythm in my head that I can maintain easily and just keep that pace regardless of where my feet have to fall during the process. With trekking poles, I don't use this technique as much, though on long uphill slogs I will sometimes use it. It does take a little practice, and there may be some youtube videos on the technique out there somewhere.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Measured steps at a unhurried pace.
    Waling up a steep hill really slowly burns my muscles just to death. It does save my breath, but my legs burn so bad I still have to stop. My goal is to not have to stop at all. Currently, I really get a good momentum going on flat or downhill terrain and let that carry me a ways up the hill at the same pace if I can, then just push through to the top if I can manage, but I am usually struggling for air when I get there, if I even make it to the top without stopping.

What I find helps on steep accents is to pause and take a deep breath every 3 or 5 step. If you pause on an odd number of steps, you alternate the rest leg. Counting your steps also gives you something to do with your mind to keep it distracted.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Video of kick step (for snow) and lock (rest) step https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cFBkuMpmE
    There are a lot of videos out there, but many are of obviously very fit hikers who do it so quickly that it is hard to observe the knee lock.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

My key to climbs is to take the smallest steps possible. I climb stairs at two at a time, but on a hike I really try to take baby steps on the climbs. This really helps with stamina.

After a year of hiking and struggling up hills, I learned the rest step from the video linked above. While I'm still a fairly slow hiker, I make much better time up hills and feel much better when I get to the top. If you haven't learned it already, study this video. It will make a difference and your hiking will be more enjoyable.

Interesting. I'll try it sometime soon.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I think "old man" when ascending. Short gait, if i'm breathing too heavy or my heart is pounding i'm going too fast. Not only do you get to the top without stopping, but you are going slow enough to enjoy what's around you instead of being p*ssed off.

The term comes from mountaineering-
    It's the downhill leg that is locked on the resting phase.
    You take a step up and lock your downhill knee. In steep terrain you may even turn your downhill foot 90* to the slope if needed for better traction.
    You then lean forward and rock (kip) your body quickly while pushing off with the downhill foot and shifting weight to the uphill foot and completing the motion by standing up until both feet are even. Switch feet on the next step after a pause. It's a quick motion that is fluid with practice

A kip is a bit like the trick you use to do a cheater chin up- by rocking your body and kicking your leg you use the motion to make the upward motion easier.

It's a thinner air, heavy load hauling technique for pacing yourself while ascending.

All that said... while the term is used in hiking it's a bit extreme.
    A true rest step is usually a step up with one foot with the back leg locked and pointed uphill.
    If you then lean forward and rest your arms on the uphill knee it will give you a slight calf stretch- which is the muscle that usually gives out first (before the quads). It's easy to practice on a set of stairs if you like by simply stepping up one stair tread at a time. Alternate the lead foot with each step. This motion doesn't have the kip, it's simply measured steady steps with a light calf stretch at each rest.

The AT is tough. Coming from the flatlands the hills always get me even if I'm in decent shape.

Take a few steps and rest, breathe evenly and pay attention to your heart rate. If you redline your engine (max heartbeat) it will take you longer to recover so don't push. A true rest step, or even pulling over and doing a brief quad stretch will help flush the lactic acid from your muscles that is making them scream. Air and blood. If your breathing or heartrate are out of control so are your muscles... so take it slow until they catch up. The small stretches of calf and quad help open the muscles up so they can flush and recover.

Eventually you'll find yourself taking a few more steps each time until like most hikers you'll find you "one-shot" most hills after a few weeks of walking. If you're "one stepping" every hill... probably best to get some more fitness training in on the flats or incline treadmill.

Eventually you may also find that many efficient hikers learn to "rest on the flats". Once your fitness and trail legs are up a bit you'll feel better if you one-shot the hill and rest on the ridge by continuing to walk. This flushes your muscles and prevents cramping like any cool down after a run or workout does. Dumping your pack and collapsing is a bad idea. Despite how bad you may feel when you top out, most folks find that (besides the fact you're still moving forward) that 15 minutes of restful walking leaves them feeling great and ready to walk. While 15 minutes of dump and slump leaves you dreading getting back up and ever walking again. If you do happen to top out right at that great view; stand around a minute with your pack on and walk a little until breathing and heartrate return to normal, then set the pack down. If you do stop for a break, stretch a little bit while you're hanging out.

Building the trail legs simply takes patience, you'll get there.
    And even fit hikers run into climbs on the AT that require a rest (or twenty) so don't be down on yourself for it.

On steep terrain I walk about 10 steps then rest for maybe 20 sec...

...for the ones that can't walk and chew gum.

Cool technique, worth a try. I just go really slow uphill. If I'm breathing hard at all, it's too fast. Then I try to book it across the ridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

If you're having trouble getting up the hills, then here's another little trick. Try pacing your steps to your breathing. When you are cruising along "on the flat", most folks can take 2 steps (I'm counting a "step" as "left-right") before they have to breathe. But you need more oxygen to climb because you're working harder, so every time you take 1 step ("left-right"), take a breath. On REALLY steep hills, you may want to breathe twice as fast, but no matter what your personal breathing rate is, try to time it to your steps. You may have to "count steps" at first, but after a while, it becomes second nature. The overall effect will be that your pace will slow down, and the lactic acid in your legs will have more of an opportunity to be cleared. (For the record, I've tried the "rest-step", and while it does work, I find that this technique works better for me. HYOH.)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

hikin' ain't technical. it's just walkin'

Journal Entries

Succcinctly, every time you take a step, straighten knee and pause momentarily.

I find that tortoise beats hare on uphills. It does no good to race to top only to collapse and rest 20 min. You are also much fresher at end of day if you maintain slow constant pace, than getting badly winded and having to stop and rest repeatedly.

Slow down to pace you can maintain, and you can hike more miles per day than if you keep having to stop and rest.

A litttle max exertion is good for conditioning though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-17-2015 at 22:19.

Images

What happens with the 'rest step' is that when the one leg has the knee locked, and is supporting your weight, you are using less oxygen - when your knee is bent, your muscles are working to support your weight, but with your knee locked, your skeletal system is holding you up and using a lot less oxygen to do it.
    So the rest step technique not only slows you down a little, but also uses less O2, which allows you to go farther,. longer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++