WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Late March Gear Check Request

Hey everybody! I'm planning on heading out towards the 3rd/4th week of March and here is my gear that I have so far. If there is no description/ weight I haven't picked anything specific out or haven't gotten it yet. Thoughts?

http://lighterpack.com/r/9m3fm4

Thanks!
    --Kala

#1: Don't waste your money on the 900 fill down. 800 is plenty good. By the time you get the 900 fill quilt, the down might not even make it to 800.
    #2: Silk liner. Loose it.
    #3: Fire starter: Bic mini lighter x 2. Put the spare in your first aid kit in a place you can't loose it.
    #4: Too much titanium & cuben stuff. Expensive for little added advantage. You're putting all of that titanium & cuben stuff in a 4 pound pack. Shakes his head.
    #5: Food bag. What the hey? Ziploc bags and a cheap light stuff sack. Are you really planning to hang your food bag???????????
    #6: Pack. Heavy. If you don't have it already, look at a ULA Ohm 2.0. If you do have the pack already, still look at the Ohm 2.0. Use the money you saved on the quilt, liner & titanium stuff.
    #7: Cuben fiber pack cover??????????? A trash bag could work. Or silnylon.
    #8: Platy Hoser. Heavy. 2 1.5 liter store bought spring water bottles are lighter and you won't loose 2 liters of water at once if the Hoser leaks.
    #9: Is a 650 ml pot really big enough to cook in?
    #10: Dr. Bronner's soap. 2 ounce. Unscented baby formula.
    #11: Kudos for bringing sunscreen. Use it often. Use it when you don't think you need it.
    #12: Looks like a lot of redundant clothing. A personal thing I know. Think about cutting back.
    #13: Pad. R-value? A NeoAir Xlite womens pad is R-3.9 & 12 ounces.

Pay no attention to me. I'm an old Geezer. I have found that much of my ancient gear is as light, if not lighter, than a lot of current Whiz Bang gizmos. Like the 50 liter backpack I bought in 1974. Still works. Bulletproof. About 2 1/2 pounds. My 850 ml aluminum cook set is lighter and heats water faster than a titanium set of similar capacity and it holds a stove.

Have a great hike.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I would just look at cleaning up the redundancy and maybe look at a lighter pack. I didnt see a knife/multitool. I like my Gerber dime multi tool. Its tiny light and very useful.

Journal Entries
    Images

My pack is a 52L 1.6 lbs. my tent 1.2 lbs. all Cuban fiber. 90% of thru hikers drop out at Neels Gap from too much weight. I'm keeping my BPW around 12 lbs. just my input. Your hiking 2200 miles and weight is a huge concern. You do what works for you. But with a BPW of 15 lbs add 10 lbs of food and a liter of water your looking at around 30 lbs. ultra light weight gear is the way to go. It's all about weight. Ozs are pounds

Journal Entries
    Images

By the way Kala I'm heading out around the same time. Might see ya on the trail.
    Alan.
    FIREPLUG

Kala,

Thru hiked NOBO in 2014; left March 19.
    Here is my gear write up for what it is worth:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ke-gear-review
    or
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=480575 (equipment pics)

Looks like you have a very good set up. A few things:
    - Tarptent was great (I had the Moment DW). I did not need a ground cloth and no problem.
    - Also do not think you need a pack cover if you have everything sealed in compost bag.
    - I decided not to go alcohol stove at last minute, went with Soto and canisters, worked great. Just did not want to spend time at end of long day cooking and canisters very available the entire hike
    - Sawyer squeeze worked great - I would spring for the 3 oz version; a bit bigger and a lot faster for quick stops
    - Used Smart water bottle and 32 oz. Gatorade - folks using Platypus complained of hassle taking in and out although obviously personal choice. We chugged a lot at water stops.
    - Z packs food bag worked great both for packing food and hanging; although it was all used up at the end of the hike!
    - Camera is a tough one; I had an iPhone which now has great camera and you can post pictures without hassle (when you have a connection). Not sure Galaxy camera capability. You may want to invest in Zpack shoulder pocket for access to your Galaxy (just make sure you seal it in at water crossing so it does not drop out - yes there is a story there...)
    - If service is important consider Verizon. Sprint did not work well. I was constantly looking for a signal while my bud with Verizon was watching Seinfeld episodes in his tent.
    - Smartwool, Icebreaker all very good choices
    - Used New Balance and Brooks Cascadia for the hike (3 pairs). My only recommendation is do some shake down hikes in your shoes with liners. Shoes that work for running may not work well for twist and turns. I also found that grip and feel were important early on but comfort/cushion seemed to increase later. Change worn shoes out before mid point in PA with all the rocks and before the Whites in NH. You will need good grip in both places.
    - Watch your DEET; it will eat through your pack waist pockets. Double wrap.
    - Add second Skin to your medical kit; moleskin proved useless in sticking to my foot.
    - I had an Ibex hoody and a change of shorts for sleeping and it worked great. At end of long, sweaty or rainy day, changing into sleep clothes that were dry and "fresher" was critical to my positive attitude and gearing up for next day.
    - Pack towel was used mainly to get excess water off tent before packing.
    - Consider charger that allows you to plug two items in and is not too heavy; depends on use but I found one charge for my iPhone was good enough in town; two plug is important when others are scrambling for the two electric sockets available.

OK, hope this is helpful. As my bud told me as I was going through the spreadsheet for the umpteenth time: "Do you think we are overthinking this?" Don't. You have a good plan and can make adjustments as you go if something doesn't work out. A couple of cold or rainy weather shakedowns and the first 3 weeks are great for helping figure it out.

Good luck - it is truly the adventure of a lifetime!
    Wingnut NOBO 2014

Journal Entries

Venchka: Thanks for your thoughts. Some of my gear I already had, like the heavy bag. Getting close to the hike I could see where I was with money and I'll be switching to a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. That should cut that weight in half. I'll cut the liner, another item I have (had for camping here in cool weather w/o a bag). The 650 has worked for me so far... I've made ramen, potatoes, etc. in it. I use it mainly for warm drinks in the AM to get me going. The clothing I'll probably drop as I go, this is my cold-weather gear for the start. I have a lot of hardware in me and if I don't keep warm when I'm idle (in my tent) I will be grunting through a lot of pain until I loosen up. Thanks for the rest of the tips!

Journal Entries

Venchka: Thanks for your thoughts. Some of my gear I already had, like the heavy bag. Getting close to the hike I could see where I was with money and I'll be switching to a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. That should cut that weight in half. I'll cut the liner, another item I have (had for camping here in cool weather w/o a bag). The 650 has worked for me so far... I've made ramen, potatoes, etc. in it. I use it mainly for warm drinks in the AM to get me going. The clothing I'll probably drop as I go, this is my cold-weather gear for the start. I have a lot of hardware in me and if I don't keep warm when I'm idle (in my tent) I will be grunting through a lot of pain until I loosen up. Thanks for the rest of the tips!

Coyote: Thanks! Knife was listed, just not a style of blade. I've been looking at reviews for a good lightweight one. Right now I'm actually thinking about a baker's scorer (I have access w/o any cost)... only 14g but plenty long/ sharp enough to cut open packages.

Awillnet: Thanks for the input! The bottom of your tarptent didn't puncture? I've been out with mine quite a few times now and I've always used the sheet... the bathrub liner just feels so fragile.

I may change out the stove on the trail if I find it takes to much time. I mainly use it for breakfast when I'm getting my stuff together so I have a hot cup of something before I set out. It's one of the items I'm used to and change can be so daunting. Definitely something that could change though once I see how others get on with them. Were you ever worried your canister was running out of fuel since you couldn't visually see it?

Camera - I actually switched over to an iPhone yesterday so this won't be a problem now with a waterproof case. Previously my Note 4 did not have a case available. I plan do ditch the Nikon at this point. I do have Sprint; however, I've already planned to only talk/ upload when in towns (then the folks back home won't be expecting me to remember to call to often).

Shoes - I went with the Speedcross specifically for the first and last portions of the trails... wet rocks. They are supposed to be goods, during the middle I'll probably have one of my newer Merrill's sent to me. I have a lot of hardware in my leg and I need the most surefooted shoes I can find. (crossing my fingers for these)

I'm still at a bit of a loss with my water situation. In the winter I think I'd be fine with just the smart water bottles since I probably won't be chugging so much; however, in the summer I drink water like I live in it. Here in Missouri when it was hitting 90+ degrees in relatively flat (400-500 ft vertical rolling climbs) I'd go through 2-3L every four miles or so. When I can just have the hose next to my head... so easy. I also can only reach back with one arm to get to a side pocket. I think this will be another trial by error.

Thanks for the other tips as well, I'll take note and make adjustment for my packing of certain things. Luckily, I have probably a few weeks of camping in the next three months to check gear. (I try to go out at least once a week for 1-2 days)

Cheers!
    Kala

Kala,

Have you purchased the Xero shoes already? I have a pair and I really prefer Luna sandals so you may want to check them out. I like them well enough that I am hoping to use them a bunch on the easier terrain. Hope to see you on the trail

Sarge

If you haven't decided on a knife, consider the Leatherman Style CS. It has functional sturdy scissors, a file, a sharp little blade, tweezers and clip/bottle opener. 1.43 oz, but based on the nail clippers I had planned to bring, was a net weight savings.

Journal Entries

I'll take a look and look at some reviews. Thanks for your suggestion. I was just very intrigued by the Xero z-trek because it was a barefoot without anything between my toes. I can't stand that, the pressure from the thong always caused me a lot of pain when I attempted flip flops or any other sandal like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jenningka View Post
    Hey everybody! I'm planning on heading out towards the 3rd/4th week of March and here is my gear that I have so far. If there is no description/ weight I haven't picked anything specific out or haven't gotten it yet. Thoughts?

http://lighterpack.com/r/9m3fm4

Thanks!
    --Kala
    Kala,

Our gear choices are very similar in nature. Even down to the GG Mariposa you are about to get, the CF pack cover, the food bag, the 900 fill down bag, lots of titanium and cuben. It was almost like I was looking at my own list. as a matter of fact, its probably easier to list what I went with differently and maybe my experience could benefit you.

I decided on a bigger pot and pan combo (.9L Evernew) Even though I have tried a .65 and a .8 set

I went with a slightly different water solution from sawyer (https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-p...-assembly-kit/) . I go through water like there is no tomorrow. Roughly the same amount you are chugging depending on terrain. The reason I sacrificed this weight and bulk for this filter is two fold. 1. It also claims to filter viruses as well (not really necessary in N America but still nice). 2. it doesn't clog (as much) like the 2 other gravity filters from sawyer I have tried. I would not suggest getting the one with the bags as the sawyer bags are complete crap.
    As for my setup on this. I have a female connector above my right shoulder that I can connect and disconnect and use a second bag to filter the water into. I just strap it to a tree and let my bag sit at the base of the tree while I am making my morning drink and its full by the time I am ready to go. Same with water sources and a snack. All you need is the filter itself, to back flush I just make my hiking bag higher than the dirty bag every so often and it does the trick. I use 2 hydrapak bladders, one 2L that sets in my bag (it only comes out to wash it at hostels/hotels) and one 3L that I use to gravity fill my 2L. The 3L comes in handy at the camp site so you don't have to continually travel to the water sources.

I dont have a silk liner but I have thought about it long and hard. I might pick one up on the trail if I find my sleeping bag getting too dirty in the long term or I need that extra 5ish degrees (i am starting out mid feb this year, leaving my job in 8 days woot! ) So that is something your list has made me think about even more.

I also have a bunch of hardware in my body so I find the tent is too hard for me. I switched to a hammock a few years ago and never looked back. That's for a different conversation though and really reliant on preference.

good luck on your hike this year. You are starting out a month and some change later than I am so I hope I don't run into you (no offense lol).

YMMV HYOH

++ New Posts ++