WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spiders!!!

Journal Entries

These people with spiders and bugs in their sleeping bags.... these are people who hammock or cowboy camp? Certainly, the bug netting on a tent prevents this, correct?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Indoors, locked away with the windows closed, front door dead bolted, vents shut, etc does not eliminate the insects, bacteria, larvae, cysts, microbes, etc. In your house right now these are in your bed linens, including where you put your face, on the pillow, on your body, living in your body, on your clothing, in your hair, in the food you eat, in the landscape around your house you walk through, in your car, on the car seat, on the steering wheel, maybe in the water you drink, in the alcohol you consume, on your shoes, in/on your pets, behind your refrigerator, in your HVAC system, in your floor covering, in the crevices of your trim molding, in the corners of your ceiling, in your bathroom, etc.

Isn't it GREAT GOD, Nature, evolution, whatever has allowed us the immunology and ability to coexist without always seeing these things as a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I just threw up a little in my mouth. I hope to GOD you are kidding. Otherwise, I can tell you now that I will NEVER enter anything remotely close to woods in OK, ever. That's the cure for me bud.
    I think he was behind a grocery store, so take note, no cowboy camping near a dumpster!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

These people with spiders and bugs in their sleeping bags.... these are people who hammock or cowboy camp? Certainly, the bug netting on a tent prevents this, correct?
    I left my netting open, rookie mistake. I thought we would be sleeping in hammocks.

Bug netting and bug spray is helpful in the south. I didn't get one bite in the woods. Nope, the mosquitos did get me at home though. The very next day.

Whatever that magic insect repellent is, its amazing, our pants and light hoodies were treated with it. We didn't use any deet at all.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Indoors, locked away with the windows closed, front door dead bolted, vents shut, etc does not eliminate the insects, bacteria, larvae, cysts, microbes, etc. In your house right now these are in your bed linens, including where you put your face, on the pillow, on your body, living in your body, on your clothing, in your hair, in the food you eat, in the landscape around your house you walk through, in your car, on the car seat, on the steering wheel, maybe in the water you drink, in the alcohol you consume, on your shoes, in/on your pets, behind your refrigerator, in your HVAC system, in your floor covering, in the crevices of your trim molding, in the corners of your ceiling, in your bathroom, etc.

Isn't it GREAT GOD, Nature, evolution, whatever has allowed us the immunology and ability to coexist without always seeing these things as a threat?
    Yes. Its wonderful that He made most of them so miniscule that the common eye can't see them at all. Except spiders.

Images

I met this cute little critter near wrightwood on the PCT. we talked for quite a while.

image.jpg

I hiked on on a mile or so before camping.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I met this cute little critter near wrightwood on the PCT. we talked for quite a while.

image.jpg

I hiked on on a mile or so before camping.
    I wonder if the smell of urine repels them at all... or maybe even human feces???? If I woke up to that on the outside net of my tent I would pass out cold and very likely have an accident. This would be the only reason I would ever consider carrying a hand gun hiking.

Images

I just threw up a little in my mouth. I hope to GOD you are kidding. Otherwise, I can tell you now that I will NEVER enter anything remotely close to woods in OK, ever. That's the cure for me bud.
    They were just out hunting. It's what they do. They never really bothered me. I think the light kind of gets their attention a bit and they tend to freeze when they are spotlighted. Probably a defense instinct (don't move). I think you likely have much more in the way of creepy crawlers in the GA woods than OK does.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Nope, it's us tenters also

One evening while I was setting up my tent and putting everything inside a huge spider some how got inside, of course it was unbeknownst to me at the time.

Later that evening as I was laying in my bag I seemed to be seeing something over my head (you know how your vision is kind of grainy at night), but as I kept looking at this blob it seemed to be getting closer, part of me was thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me and the other part was saying, "turn on you light, idiot". I finally got my light because this blob seemed to be getting really close to my face.

It was a freakin' huge spider!!! So big I was surprised the web could support his dangling weight over my head. I'd like to say I was cool and collected, but obviously I was a little frantic, because as I grabbed the web he was dangling from, in order to throw him out my door, I missed the door and he bounced against the side of the tent and fell into my tent....You can imagine all the stuff I was picking up and tossing as it crawled across things in my tent.

I finally got him out, along with much of my stuff in the tent

P.S. This was not a case of being careless in leaving my tent door open. I always put my tent away with the door closed so that when I put it up later in the day, the door is closed from the beginning and only open it the throw things in. And yes, I check to make sure things are bug-free before throwing them in the tent. Not sure how that thing got in there...Not knowing is the worst...

BTW, I have a pic of a spider in my gallery I saw near a shelter and the spider in my tent was about this size, if it crawled into the center of you hand and you made a fist, there would be legs sticking out... http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=6936

Yes. Its wonderful that He made most of them so miniscule that the common eye can't see them at all. Except spiders.
    The ones I don't usually see are the ones I'm most concerned, chiggers, fleas, gnats, mites, small Malaria/West Nile/Yellow Fever/etc carrying skeeters, seed ticks in the instar stage, etc

I'll keep em coming with big close profile colorful pics of these to lessen the competition for permits and campsite space.

Seriously, protect yourself appropriately, and accept that these things are a part of the world, and go outdoors.

Journal Entries

OH I am going to keep on hiking and camping no matter what, but I will be a nutball at taking every possible precaution for keeping things like PedalingFool shared from happening to me. I would seriously die. That picture above was really just over the top mean.

Saw a wolf spider once that was the size of a tarantula...didn't know they got that big...cool.

Journal Entries

Golden orb weavers are huge scary looking spiders that build these tough webs across trails on my hunting lease. Driving on a 4 wheeeler once my daughter got one on her, she literally came unglued. Im not kidding when i say she jumped off a moving 4wheeler and lost touch with reality for a few moments.

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-18-2015 at 17:04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++