WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hammock Tarp

Default Hammock Tarp

Looking for a four season tarp for my hammock. What would you suggest?

For me, a tarp with doors, AND that is wide enough. The reason I say "wide enough" is, so the tarp can be staked to the ground, or very, very nearly so; and NOT have to have the hammock dragging across the ground/ice/snow. The wider the tarp, the higher you can hang it, and subsequently your hammock under it; and NOT have a ridiculous icy wind howling through.
    The doors on each end are to block the wind/rain/snow/etc... from the ends - when required.

I use a War Bonnet Super Fly tarp. It meets all the above listed requirements, for me. I've used mine on many hikes across all four seasons, hiking in the mountains.

Some others that look like they'd also work are: the Hammock Gear Winter Palace, and the Wilderness Logics Old Man Winter. The Winter Palace is a cuben fiber tarp, so much, much lighter - and more expensive also.

There may be others.
    Those are just the ones I know of, and the one I have, use, and have experience with.
    So based on my use and experience, I would easily recommend what I've been using with no issues - that being the War Bonnet Super Fly.

u.w.

Here's a photo of mine set up on a recent section I did a few weeks back now, when I finished VA.
    The "doors" are down (as opposed to stowed up under the tarp & out of the way).
    The door at the end with my t-shirt hanging is not bungee'd closed yet, as I was still going in and out. The end with my shorts hanging is closed up tight with 1/16" bungee cord(s), doors over lapping.

So with doors tied up, it's just a regular hex tarp. When ya need to though, it's real, real nice to have the doors, drop them, and close it up.

u.w.

If you're concerned with weight and you have money to spend, get a cuben fiber tarp with doors. It costs about 3 times as much, but it weighs 6 ounces as opposed to 19 ounces for a superfly. And it's not as stretchy as silnylon, much easier to hang.

+1 on the Warbonnet Superfly! I own this tarp and love it! Couldn't imagine using anything else!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Yeah, the Superfly is just about my idea of the perfect tarp design. I do own other tarps which I use more frequently and there are plenty of other makers but the Superfly is the one I compare them all to.

David

My gal and I each have UGQ WinterDream 12 tarps with pole mod. Missy and Paul do great work and we swear by them.
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/win...m/default.html

Mike
    Eastover, SC
    Miles completed on the AT: 0 (Starting 5/24/2018)

Another vote for the superfly for a full on winter tarp. Another option to consider is a smaller tarp like the war bonnet edge and door kit along with a undercover like 2QZQ sells. Wouldn't be much weight savings over the superfly but a lot more versatile. I'm my experience I only need to really batten down the hatches only a couple times a year but mostly I like a wide open pitch. Your winters may be different that mine here in western nc though.

+1 for the SuperFly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 10 ft hammock. What size of tarp should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    I have a 10 ft hammock. What size of tarp should I get?
    Hard question to answer. Do you have a ridge line? What is the length of the ridge line? You might be able to get away with a smaller tarp depending on your needs. But generically speaking, a 12x10 tarp will be adequate, and even still after you decide you want an 11' hammock. :-)

Images

i use a 9-11 cuben tarp and my hammock is 11.5 feet. i use this all year. the superfly was too heavy so i had z-pack make the tarp in '09. i just pull the corners in. i find doors a waste of time and weight. PS i'm a hiker, not a camper.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I have a couple different tarps as well but the 1st time I used my Superfly, I haven't used anything else since. I even bought a 2nd Superfly so my wife can enjoy. The pole mod is amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++