WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    My observation is that your gear list is of a weekend hiker and not a long distance hiker.
    Thanks for your reply; care to elaborate?

BTW, does anyone know how I can edit my first post to put in a new link?

Donate, even then I think the amount of time passes to edit.

Post your new link, here.

Images

Here is what Im taking. Feel free to give feedback. Thanks

http://lighterpack.com/r/d8pf3f

Have you tried the sleeping bag in the hammock?

The down is compressed so it doesn't give much insulation value.

This is why there are underquilts for hammocks for backpacking. In fact, hammock camping hikers usually have an underquilt and a top quilt, rather than have a sleeping bag.

They also have a tarp rigged over the hammock, usually of special design: asym is minimalist, hex tarp is average, hex tarp with doors is enclosed.

Wind is a factor in conductive heat loss: I would think the sleeping bag could work for mild conditions because the down insulation under you is compressed.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-10-2015 at 06:52.

<double post>
    Last edited by Connie; 11-10-2015 at 06:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Donate, even then I think the amount of time passes to edit.

Post your new link, here.
    Thanks for the info Connie.

Images

I have an under quilt but its just more bulk I dont like hassling with. I went back to just using the car windshield shade.

Images

I havnt decided if I want a standalone camera. I love to take pictures. I may also bring a tiny iPod

Quote Originally Posted by lwhikerchris View Post
    Thanks for your reply; care to elaborate?
    Jred summed up what I was thinking, with regards to redundancy and overkill on some of your gear choices, which he pointed out. The reason I said your list was more weekend hiker is because as short weekend hikers, we tend to take things that we really don't need, but because we're only out for 2 days, we still bring it. Long distance hiking really helps you pair down what is crucial. For example, I used to take a first aid kit that weighed almost 10 ounces. Then I realized all I needed was enough to get me to a road crossing. My FAK now weighs 2oz.

P.S. hope you don't think I was being condescending or anything like that. I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Jred summed up what I was thinking, with regards to redundancy and overkill on some of your gear choices, which he pointed out. The reason I said your list was more weekend hiker is because as short weekend hikers, we tend to take things that we really don't need, but because we're only out for 2 days, we still bring it. Long distance hiking really helps you pair down what is crucial. For example, I used to take a first aid kit that weighed almost 10 ounces. Then I realized all I needed was enough to get me to a road crossing. My FAK now weighs 2oz.

P.S. hope you don't think I was being condescending or anything like that. I wasn't.

Thanks, capehiker. Yes, good point about bringing stuff we don't need. Since it doesn't really matter for short hikes whether it gets used or not, there is much less repercussion for bringing it.

So, yes, I have a lot of paring down to do still especially in my non-clothing stuff. As for clothing, I just want to make sure I'm warm enough because it will make or break morale.

..about clothing, I find a down vest adds considerable warmth as does a hat and gloves.

Everyone I have met says their "puffy" vest is the best money they have spent on warm clothing. I don't know I would go that far.

Let me see, no, I can't think of something better except perhaps my warm air mask.

Others insist their longjohns. I find a merino half-zip top and "silkweights" bottems can be too warm, however, if cold they are just the right thing to add.

I like layering a "windshirt" for most conditions.

Not speaking of actual "winter" conditions, then, I prefer silk-wool longjohns and bibs.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-11-2015 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    ..about clothing, I find a down vest adds considerable warmth as does a hat and gloves.

Everyone I have met says their "puffy" vest is the best money they have spent on warm clothing. I don't know I would go that far.

Let me see, no, I can't think of something better except perhaps my warm air mask.

Others insist their longjohns. I find a merino half-zip top and "silkweights" bottems can be too warm, however, if cold they are just the right thing to add.

I like layering a "windshirt" for most conditions.

Not speaking of actual "winter" conditions, then, I prefer silk-wool longjohns and bibs.
    Thanks for your reply, Connie. I've got a "down sweater" (it's a patagonia coat) that I believe will suffice in lieu of the vest suggestion, though maybe not as versatile. As for your warm air mask, can you provide a link or more info to that?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    First thing that stands out as a very possible problem? A 20°F bag with a late February/early March start.
    I think I found an appropriate solution to my 20° bag issue. I also have a 40° MYOG bottom zip quilt that I was planning to use later in the hike, during less cool nights. I'm going to use both the 20° and 40° bags together, synthetic myog on the inside, down on the top. The quilt doesn't add much weight. I'm going to test this system in the upcoming weeks to see what happens.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

AT 01, LT 03, PCT 07, CDT 15 scatman's Avatar

I started Feb. 28th in 2001. I carried too much clothes. Here is my take. Mind you everyone deals with temperatures differently.

Loose the pack cover, just use a trash compactor bag.

Clothes
    -Why three bottoms plus rain pants and I don't see pants to hike in. Fleece pants are over kill. Take one pant to hike in, rain paints and one base layer for night time.
    -You have 6 tops. Take a rain jacket, puffy, shirt to hike in and one for camp. (if you really want another layer bring a nylon wind breaker.)
    -The Turtle Fur balaclava is probably overkill

Cooking
    -just one pot
    -mug can be left at home, drink coffee or whatever from pot
    -I agree, too much soap. Bounce box it and carry less
    -I see no water storage on this list. Platy Bottles? Smart water bottles work well in the Mariposa

Electronics
    -Photons can go

How do you plan to charge your phone?
    Scatman
    www.oneofsevenproject.com
    AT 01, LT 03, PCT 07, CDT 15
    Tour Divide, CTR, AZTR '17

When you get home from work change clothes, take a walk, fix dinner in the backyard, sleep outside. In the morning eat outside. Then come inside change, go to work. Repeat as often as possible.

Also don't be afraid to pack for your fears, and when you're not afraid anymore send it home.

May the light-ness be with you !!

You are not going to leave next week. You have time for this , I did the same, gotta know now!! Be calm and keep working at it.
    En-lightment will come upon you in time Grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by scatman View Post
    I started Feb. 28th in 2001. I carried too much clothes. Here is my take. Mind you everyone deals with temperatures differently.

Loose the pack cover, just use a trash compactor bag.

Clothes
    -Why three bottoms plus rain pants and I don't see pants to hike in. Fleece pants are over kill. Take one pant to hike in, rain paints and one base layer for night time.
    -You have 6 tops. Take a rain jacket, puffy, shirt to hike in and one for camp. (if you really want another layer bring a nylon wind breaker.)
    -The Turtle Fur balaclava is probably overkill

Cooking
    -just one pot
    -mug can be left at home, drink coffee or whatever from pot
    -I agree, too much soap. Bounce box it and carry less
    -I see no water storage on this list. Platy Bottles? Smart water bottles work well in the Mariposa

Electronics
    -Photons can go

How do you plan to charge your phone?
    Hi and thank you for your feedback and good suggestions.

As for the tops, I can probably pare them down. But, I don't have much "natural insulation" and will most likely lose most of what I do have. The cap layers are very lightweight; my idea is to layer the tops in event of cold nights or snow.

I'm not bringing all the warm weather clothes at first; maybe 1 pair shorts and 1 top if that. I'm either going to have them sent to me or pick them up when I get to PA since my home is 3 miles from the AT.

The cooking stuff is definitely getting pared down, no doubt. I'm going to test my caldera cone/esbit stove asap.

Yes, I do have 1 smart bottle and will be getting another. Do you recommend the 1.5L or the .75L?

Thanks again,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You are not going to leave next week. You have time for this , I did the same, gotta know now!! Be calm and keep working at it.
    En-lightment will come upon you in time Grasshopper.
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++