WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hunting season

Default hunting season

Hunting season will be upon us soon. So how do I get out into the woods safely? I was thinking an orange vest for my body, another for the pack, an orange hat. and maybe some orange strips for the pants and sleeves? orange gloves ?
    Your thoughts and experience please.

Orange hat and vest is usually enough. My gf hangs an orange bandana off the back of her pack, in addition to.

Images

I use to hunt years ago and plenty of hunter orange while hiking is a good thing.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...safety/hunting

I found this link helpful. Have fun!

My grandfather, a wise old hunter, once said that he wears an orange hat (but not orange jacket). He said that gives them enough of a target (and hopefully they will miss). Every year hunters are killed wearing hunter orange vests, etc.

Hunters aren't supposed to hunt on the AT, but I've seen them doing it in many areas.

Strip of orange survey tape off back of pack and bright colored bandana on front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Hunting season will be upon us soon. So how do I get out into the woods safely? I was thinking an orange vest for my body, another for the pack, an orange hat. and maybe some orange strips for the pants and sleeves? orange gloves ?
    Your thoughts and experience please.
    \\

You could always check the thread you started about the same subject last year.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...som-protection
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hunters aren't supposed to hunt on the AT, but I've seen them doing it in many areas.
    That is a popular misconception among hikers, however it is perfectly legal to hunt on just over half of the A.T.

From the ATC Website:

Hunting is permitted along approximately 1,250 miles of the A.T. through national forest lands, national recreation areas, and on state forests and game lands.

Hunting is prohibited along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service exclusively for the Trail and still under National Park Service administration, including the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs.

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-05-2015 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That is a popular misconception among hikers, however it is perfectly legal to hunt on just over half of the A.T.

From the ATC Website:

Hunting is permitted along approximately 1,250 miles of the A.T. through national forest lands, national recreation areas, and on state forests and game lands.

Hunting is prohibited along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service exclusively for the Trail and still under National Park Service administration, including the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs.

Thx I learned something new....

I like to wear some hunters orange and have an orange backpack cover I use. But really I don't worry much about getting shot while hiking. Hunting accidents are rare. Almost all hunter accidents involve 2 hunters or 1 hunter. A non-hunter is rarely involved in an already rare event.

Check the hunting regs for the state or states you will be hiking in for the minimum expected requirements.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Also able to hunt in Worthington state Forrest, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in NJ in Zone #1 and further South as well in some areas before the AT goes into NEW York State.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2015/dighnt15.pdf

Zone 1: That portion of Sussex County lyingwithin a continuous line beginning at the intersectionof Rt. 521 (River Rd.) and MashipacongRd.; then west along the northern boundary of theDelaware Water Gap National Recreation Areato the east bank of the Delaware River; then northalong the east bank of the Delaware River to theNew York State line; then east along the state line toRt. 519; then south along Rt. 519 to its intersectionwith Rt. 206 at Branchville; then northwest alongRt. 206 to the intersection with Rt. 633; then southalong Rt. 633 to its intersection with Rt. 521; thennorthwest along Rt. 521 to its intersection withRt. 206; then northwest on Rt. 521/Rt. 206 to itsintersection with Rt. 560; then west along Rt. 560to the intersection with Ridge Rd.; then north onRidge Rd. to the intersection with Rt. 646; theneast on Rt. 646 to the intersection with Rt. 645 inHainesville; then north on Rt. 645 to the intersectionwith Rts. 206 and 521; then north on Rts. 206and 521 to Montague; then north on Rt. 521 (RiverRd.) to the intersection with Mashipacong Rd., thepoint of beginning. The island of Mashipacong lyingin the Delaware River is included in this zone. HighPoint State Park (Zone 67) is excluded from Zone 1.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Also able to hunt in Worthington state Forrest, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in NJ in Zone #1 and further South as well in some areas before the AT goes into NEW York State.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2015/dighnt15.pdf

Zone 1: That portion of Sussex County lyingwithin a continuous line beginning at the intersectionof Rt. 521 (River Rd.) and MashipacongRd.; then west along the northern boundary of theDelaware Water Gap National Recreation Areato the east bank of the Delaware River; then northalong the east bank of the Delaware River to theNew York State line; then east along the state line toRt. 519; then south along Rt. 519 to its intersectionwith Rt. 206 at Branchville; then northwest alongRt. 206 to the intersection with Rt. 633; then southalong Rt. 633 to its intersection with Rt. 521; thennorthwest along Rt. 521 to its intersection withRt. 206; then northwest on Rt. 521/Rt. 206 to itsintersection with Rt. 560; then west along Rt. 560to the intersection with Ridge Rd.; then north onRidge Rd. to the intersection with Rt. 646; theneast on Rt. 646 to the intersection with Rt. 645 inHainesville; then north on Rt. 645 to the intersectionwith Rts. 206 and 521; then north on Rts. 206and 521 to Montague; then north on Rt. 521 (RiverRd.) to the intersection with Mashipacong Rd., thepoint of beginning. The island of Mashipacong lyingin the Delaware River is included in this zone. HighPoint State Park (Zone 67) is excluded from Zone 1.

Well of course you can hunt in the National Recreation Area, after all the initials are NRA!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Well of course you can hunt in the National Recreation Area, after all the initials are NRA!
    Where the heck is a like button when ya need one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Where the heck is a like button when ya need one.
    Just save one and upload when necessary.

fb-like-button.gif
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

\\

Thanks I have trouble finding stuff like that. In general people seemed to agree that a bicycle blinky light was not at all a stupid idea. Particularly if you already own one. mine weighs 3 oz.

Thanks I have trouble finding stuff like that. In general people seemed to agree that a bicycle blinky light was not at all a stupid idea. Particularly if you already own one. mine weighs 3 oz.
    Yea blinking light works good for my dog at night....while off leash of course.....

\\

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

In all honesty I had forgotten about that thread. I came across it while I was searching through trying to find the AMC link I posted above. It was just too good of a coincidence not to repost it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++