WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hike between Port Clinton, PA and Palmerton?

Going to be up in PA over the Thanksgiving holiday. From VA, so never been on the AT in PA.

Is there a good place to stage my truck in Port Clinton? I plan on staging the truck and getting shuttle to Palmerton and hike southbound. I figure I will be on the trail 3 days. Any suggestions on a safe staging area? If anyone interested, let me know.

I'm not from the area so I can't remember specific highways, roads etc but when you get off the highway at the Cabelas you will make a left a few miles down the road to pull into Port Clinton. Once you make the left you will go over a bridge in about a half a mile. Make a left on the road right after the bridge which will take you into a parking lot. The AT enters town on the right side of the parking lot. I left a car there for a few days with no issues.

Images

Thanks for the info. If you have been on this section between Port Clinton and Palmerton, any comments on the condition of the trail? Is it rocky in this section? Keep in mind, much like your weekend warrior status, I can only manage about a 12 to 13 mile hike in the VA sections per day. If the trail is rockier, should I allow more time to cover this 40 mile stretch? I do not see too much elevation change, but do notice that it follows a ridge, so a bit worried about rocks.

Unfortunately I have only hiked south of there. I have heard it gets more rocky as you go north. The section south (specifically once you climb out of Swarta Gap) was pretty rocky. I'm going to try to hike for a few days in December and opting for Central VA as opposed to up north due to rocks and the potential for ice. Keep an eye on the weather pre hike. I'm sure someone will chime in. Enjoy the hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Thanks for the info. If you have been on this section between Port Clinton and Palmerton, any comments on the condition of the trail? Is it rocky in this section? Keep in mind, much like your weekend warrior status, I can only manage about a 12 to 13 mile hike in the VA sections per day. If the trail is rockier, should I allow more time to cover this 40 mile stretch? I do not see too much elevation change, but do notice that it follows a ridge, so a bit worried about rocks.
    there are rocky areas but it isnt the worst of the PA rocks. but then again, if you havent seen a lot of super rocky trail you might find it startlingly difficult.

personally, climbing and descending is harder for me than rocky/ rocky is annoying (and painful) but not really physically exhausting. and as you observed, the trail is flat.

Images

Thanks tdoczi,

I have seen some rocky areas when coming off of Three Ridges in VA. Long downhill stretch that is full of pumpkin sized boulders. Almost got myself in trouble when my foot fell in a cavern that was covered in leaves and my momentum carried me forward. Could have easily ended up with a broken shin bone.

If I know there is some rocks, I will make sure my footwear is appropriate - no trail runners on this trip. But seeing I have never been to PA and only heard the stories, figured I check on the rocks and water situation. Guess I will be making a trip. Sounds fun.

Images

Is is rocky but less so then further north. There is a parking lot in Port Clinton where I have left my car. It is near an old train station if I remember correctly.

Images

I'd say check with the Port Clinton hotel (hiker friendly) right in the middle of town to see about leaving a vehicle there.

Here's a link to my photo album of my section hike from Swatara Gap to the Delaware Water Gap, which includes Port Clinton to Palmerton. I hiked NOBO. Might give you an idea of rocks, etc.

Link to photo album. Swatara Gap to Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania. Part of our group hiked in the SNP, plus we drove into DC. There are a few pics at the end, of that. Don't let it throw you.

Given the very short daylight hours at Thanksgiving, I would cut back on my daily mileage estimate from Virginia, yes. The climbs and descents in PA are fairly tame. Most of the hiking is on top of ridgelines with periodic gaps of about 500' to 600' or so.

The rocks are, thankfully, only in spurts. But they tired me out mentally, just having to pay so much attention to where I put every step. Also slowed me down.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 11-05-2015 at 17:49.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Rain Man, pictures are worth a thousand words. Great job documenting the hike. Curious, what time of year was it that you did this? Kind of looks like a winter hike. Curious if I will have similar conditions. I really only have three days of hiking and since the day light hours are limited, might do the Port Clinton to Swarta Gap as it looks a little tamer from the pictures and I have always wanted to stay at 501 shelter.

There's an AT parking area right on Rt. 61 that I've used a couple of times for weekend hikes. There's a very short, steep downhill connector trail to the AT. You could also walk the road edge (it is a highway, but there's room to walk along it) the short distance to the town roads and connect with the AT there.
    I hooked up with a shuttle drive there both times, and he had a long history in the area and said there were no concerns with that parking area (re: vandalism, theft).

The OP is old, but for future hikers, you can park at the softball field behind the train station. It's much more safer than the parking along Rt 61. I recently did this and confirmed with the train station prior to parking there.

Images

Cape hiker, this is what I did, park at the softball field. Matter of fact, the town has a big billboard directing fisherman and hikers to park in this area now.

++ New Posts ++