WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

I like those pot supports..... That was the next thing I was going to work on. I wish he'd touched on construction of those.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I was at my daughter's piano recital last week and noticed that perrier water also now can be bought in a CHS friendly can. I saved one to bring home with me but the base got dented up somehow during the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    My most recent modification was to switch from using a hardware cloth pot stand with an aluminum flashing wind screen that came up the side of the pot to a combination aluminum flashing wind screen/pot stand. The new wind screen/pot stand does not have vents on the top so all the heat is forced through the heat exchangers. This gave a measurable increase of power (shorter burn times) and efficiency (less fuel needed). I presume that in the old system, some heat bypassed the heat exchangers in which case having the wind screen come up the side (or a cone) would help. The new system has three advantages. There is one less part (no separate pot stand needed). It's lighter (the wind screen is much smaller and there is no pot stand). More convenient to use (the assembled wind screen stores in the pot so no need to assemble/disassemble for each use). It is possible that this system is more susceptible to wind since there is no screen shielding the side of the heat exchangers, but my gut tells me this shouldn't be a problem. When I retire I will build a wind tunnel and test the effects of wind on various stove systems. I'm fairly certain this is one key parameter that has never been subject to rigorous independent testing.
    Do you have a pic of this setup anywhere? I searched a few times and didn't see one. thx!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++