WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Buchanan, VA to Catawba, Logistics Questions- December

I am thinking about hiking (or part of) this section in December. This trip will be highly weather dependent as I will be bringing my 10 year old dog with me and if it's going to be wet, I will likely scrap trip and do a shorter (1 night) section in the Damascus area. He (dog) has been hiking his entire life but as expected with age, he has slowed down a bit. For this reason, my potential plan is split the trip into 4- 10 mile days/sections hiking from Buchanan to Shelter to Daleville (Motel) to Shelter to Catawba (Motel). This will allow me to assess his health throughout the trip and bail if needed. This section covers the famous Macafee Knob and Tinker Cliffs but does not include Dragons Tooth. I have a few logistics questions:

- Water this time of year?
    - Motels/ Hotels recommended in Daleville and Catawba?
    - Is it Tinker Cliffs or Dragon Tooth that is particularly difficult for dogs? If it's Tinker Cliffs I may reassess.
    -I was thinking to leave a car in Daleville and pay for two shuttles (front and back end). Any reason not to leave a car in Daleville?
    - Any other important information to consider?

I will be prepared for cold weather for both the dog and I and we have both done year around camping. For him I will have:

-2 cut down CCF pads
    -Fleece
    -Jacket
    -Blanket for on sleeping pads
    -Costco Down Throw

For me, I will have the normal winter gear (winter pad, bag, layers, etc).

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dragons tooth will probably be harder for you then the dog. If there is any snow or ice it will be treacherous. Tinker Cliffs is basically flat - just don't get too close to the edge! This is a pretty rocky section of trail which might be hard on your dogs paws. Most people stay at HoJo's at Daleville, since the trail basically goes by their front door, but the only motel which is listed as accepting pets is the Quality Inn, for an extra $25 but is on the other side of a busy highway intersection which you would have to navigate if on foot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Dragons Tooth is harder for dogs. I had to turn back with my German Shepherd when I tried to do it on a day hike during college.

There aren't any motels near Catawba, but Four Pines Hostel is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Dragons tooth will probably be harder for you then the dog. If there is any snow or ice it will be treacherous. Tinker Cliffs is basically flat - just don't get too close to the edge! This is a pretty rocky section of trail which might be hard on your dogs paws. Most people stay at HoJo's at Daleville, since the trail basically goes by their front door, but the only motel which is listed as accepting pets is the Quality Inn, for an extra $25 but is on the other side of a busy highway intersection which you would have to navigate if on foot.
    Thanks Slo-go'en. I went ahead and called the HOJO and the do allow dogs for a $10 fee/night. I was thinking Dragon's Tooth was the "non dog friendly" area. I appreciate the information on the rocks. If we go 10 miles day 1 and 10 miles day 2 and Bronx (the dog) isn't doing well, I won;t blink an eye at the option of calling it a trip. I am thinking the 40 miles might be a bit much which is why I am hoping to split it with a night in town but he might surprise me. I appreciate the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Dragons Tooth is harder for dogs. I had to turn back with my German Shepherd when I tried to do it on a day hike during college.

There aren't any motels near Catawba, but Four Pines Hostel is right there.
    Thanks for the info. I have heard good things about Four Pines and might stay the night there if I don't drive back to NOVA.

Images

You just helped me on a post earlier, maybe I can return the favor.

The section between Buchanon and Daleville is pretty calm during this time of the year and you will not see too many folks on the trail due to restrictions on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had the hardest time finishing this section due to the frequent closures. There is a shuttle driver you can reach at [email protected] who may be able to help with shuttles. He is a retired cop out of Chesapeake, VA and pretty darn dependable.

The section from Daleville to Tinker Cliffs is somewhat rocky, but there is actually a lot of sand also. The earlier comment about getting too close to the edge at Tinker Cliffs is spot on. Make sure you are careful if the winds are up, as I had a tuff time heading northbound on this section. Plenty of camping spots between Daleville and Catawba.

On the northern section, pay attention to your water options as the water at Fulkhardt Knob is from a cistern and will be frozen if temps are too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    You just helped me on a post earlier, maybe I can return the favor.

The section between Buchanon and Daleville is pretty calm during this time of the year and you will not see too many folks on the trail due to restrictions on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had the hardest time finishing this section due to the frequent closures. There is a shuttle driver you can reach at [email protected] who may be able to help with shuttles. He is a retired cop out of Chesapeake, VA and pretty darn dependable.

The section from Daleville to Tinker Cliffs is somewhat rocky, but there is actually a lot of sand also. The earlier comment about getting too close to the edge at Tinker Cliffs is spot on. Make sure you are careful if the winds are up, as I had a tuff time heading northbound on this section. Plenty of camping spots between Daleville and Catawba.

On the northern section, pay attention to your water options as the water at Fulkhardt Knob is from a cistern and will be frozen if temps are too cold.
    Thanks for the information fullcount. I have heard water can be sparse going through this section. I will reach out for a more updated water report when I get closer.

hikermom out of daleville shuttled us -- very nice! dalevillie hojo worked well for us and dog... lamberts meadow water was excellent 10/17... happy hiking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of camping spots between Daleville and Catawba.

Camping is only allowed at the shelters and approved campsites. Stealth camping is not allowed.

++ New Posts ++