WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prague

Default Prague

I'm seriously considering moving to Prague. I have a nephew there I could crash with for a little while. So does anyone know anything about the hiking scene in central Europe? Germany is not too far away. I've heard of some clothing optional trails there. Switzerland is beautiful. Anything about folk dancing, American Contra, or old tyme fiddle music would be appreciated. In Europe the city center is more expensive, so living a bit out of town might be an option. Also anything about cycling, including touring would be appreciated. I wonder if shipping my good road bicycle, good stereo, better pieces of my kitchen, etc. would be cost effective? I'm 62 now so this is a big deal for me. Nothing is holding me to St. Louis except my small house in a not so good neighborhood. If lucky I might get $80K out of it. But frugal that would last a while. So any intelligent knowledge or opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!

Have you talked to the Czech government about you plans? Their immigration policies for retirees could be almost anything. Your bike should be worth shipping, especially if it suits you really well. Otherwise, I'd travel; light and have my stuff packed and ready for a trusted friend to ship once I was settled.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

As for Germany,m we do have a lot of nice trails along the rivers... If you do get over... let me know
    every step is the first step to a new adventure

I would travel for a while before making a decision of where to settle. Prague has more reputation for partying and younger folk -well it has with me.
    Some great walking all over Europe; there is a Grand Randonnee system with red and white blazes. I have done the GR 5 Geneva to Nice 400mls but lots of others. Bavaria is good. The rucksack route from Mayhofen is a classic going from Hut to Hut, which are Inns in the mountains with accommodation.

On the GR5 you come across some classic Tour de France locations like Briamcon, Val d'isere but you have to be fit to follow their cycling routes. Alp d'Huez is worth a visit if only to wonder how they climb those mountains on a bike.

Prague is a is my favorite city in Europe so far. I spent a week there last year and had a great time. Prices aren't as ridiculously high as in Western Europe and the scene is great for those who are into parties (not me) as well as those interested in history, architecture, and museums. I visited Cesky Krumlov as part of my trip which is a wonderful small town with a castle. Nearby I explored a few trails as part of a day hike. Nice rolling hills but nothing dramatic.

I have a be also hiked in the Alps. I did the Tour du Mont Blanc in September along with most of the Walkers Haute Route. Amazing scenery but mostly NOT the kind of wilderness we have in the US. Camping is possible in the valleys and some people stealth camp at elevation but the rules are murky and I ended up staying mostly at mountain huts and the rest of the time in villages. You can hike in the Alps with a very light pack. But bring plenty of money. The huts aren't cheap ($75 is typical including dinner and breakfast) and if you have an American thru hiker appetite and are doing high miles pack supplemental food as the meal sizes are not large by Ameirican standards.

I like Europe for the history, architecture, and cultural experience but for the most part I plan to do my hiking in the US going forward. There is so much true wilderness to be seen here, the costs are low, and regulations are minimal compared to Europe.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ... Germany is not too far away. I've heard of some clothing optional trails there. Switzerland is beautiful....
    Just make sure you keep your clothes on in Switzerland. Germans on the other hand, apparently love hiking naked. There's been some history between the Swiss and Germans on this issue. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-1520417.html

On the issue of the Czech Republic, they have the same problems as much of the world, including many parts of Europe and that's an ageing population. Apparently, they can't attract enough young immigrants: http://www.praguepost.com/czech-news...czech-republic

You can head the other way, too. I hear there's lots of beautiful woodland in Poland and Belarus.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Watch out there are dogs on the trail there too.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I have a friend from Romania who has some done some trekking in the Carpathian Mtns near her home. The Carpathians extend from the Slovakia/Poland boarder, through Ukarine and into Romania. The highest peaks are up in Slovakia, not far from the Czech Republic. A few years ago I was in Cluj, which is in the foothills of the central Romanian Carpathians (but I didn't get to do any hiking). Prague would be as close to the main peaks in Slovakia as it is to the German Alps. I would guess traveling there would be less expensive than in the Alps.

I happened to meet a Czech hiker on the TMB (he was one of the people stealth camping as his budget couldn't cover the huts). He did say that there are many affordable options in central Europe and the camping possibilities are also more open, but he was drawn to the Mont Blanc area anyway for the unique scenery.

Czech Republic has a longstanding history of superbly maintained hiking trails with a vast network throughout the country. Camping outside of national and state parks is permitted pretty much anywhere along the trail except the obvious backyard spots. Maybe you'll find these online maps useful: http://mapy.cz/turisticka?x=15.6252330&y=49.8022514&z=8

The link is of actual hiking trails.

Great points of interest (among others are) : Brdy, Ceske Svycarsko, Teplicke Skaly, Cesky Raj, Adrspasske Skaly and then the mountain ranges: Krknonose, Jizerske Hory, Beskydy, Jeseniky, Krusne Hory.

Biking might be equally great, especially mountain biking as many of the hiking trails are multi use trails over mountain ranges etc ...

Enjoy
    Let me go

One area where Europe has us beat easily is pedestrian friendly signs. Lots of these in the Czech republic near Cesky Krumlov and everywhere in the Alps. My only gripe is that these trail networks are waymarked in "hours and minutes", not kilometers, which seems subjective vs presenting hard data.

Make sure that housing is available before you go. With the recent influx of Muslim immigrants, there are housing shortages in many parts of Europe.
    There's no such thing as cold weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by coastwatcher42 View Post
    Make sure that housing is available before you go. With the recent influx of Muslim immigrants, there are housing shortages in many parts of Europe.

Yes about housing!! My ex-wife's, deceased sister's son is in Prague, Christopher should be able to set me up for a while, even in a tent in a friend's backyard, come spring. I will be careful. I've done enough stupid stuff in my life, now is not the time for a repeat.
    Live Well!!

I don't think the Czech Republic is a magnet for the migrants, at least not to the extent that it would impact housing availability. It is not on the typical migrant route to Germany and the government isn't especially friendly to immigrants, at least based on what I've read of the Czech position in the EU debates over how to distribute the numbers.

I'm not sure about longer term housing but I rented a very nice small "pension" in the center of the city for a week (private bath) for a week and it was something like US$55-60 per night. On the same trip in Vienna I paid close to US$150 for something similar and about US$130 for something much worse in Amsterdam. Food and entertainment was probably 50% of the typical cost in Austria and the Netherlands. Switzerland is even more expensive than Austria. US$4 for a soda, US$20 for a personal pizza in a sit down restaurant, etc etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I don't think the Czech Republic is a magnet for the migrants, at least not to the extent that it would impact housing availability. It is not on the typical migrant route to Germany and the government isn't especially friendly to immigrants, at least based on what I've read of the Czech position in the EU debates over how to distribute the numbers.

I'm not sure about longer term housing but I rented a very nice small "pension" in the center of the city for a week (private bath) for a week and it was something like US$55-60 per night. On the same trip in Vienna I paid close to US$150 for something similar and about US$130 for something much worse in Amsterdam. Food and entertainment was probably 50% of the typical cost in Austria and the Netherlands. Switzerland is even more expensive than Austria. US$4 for a soda, US$20 for a personal pizza in a sit down restaurant, etc etc etc...
    Ha, ha... yeah, those countries in the Northern European area are expensive, I remember paying about $5 for a simple beer back in the '80's. Here's a funny article on a lot of myths of many of those countries https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ers-describes/

And a pretty interesting book: http://us.macmillan.com/thealmostnea...e/michaelbooth

The only things that were cheap in Amsterdam ... were things that I didn't choose to partake in but that's pretty far off topic.

Besides Facebook Hysteria there is no indication at all of the muslim immigrants in the Czech Republic. Their numbers are less than 1% of the total population. Prague will be expensive for rental but surrounding towns will be very reasonable. Regular grocery stores are also quite reasonable. If you frequent tourist traps then you'll pay through the nose for it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by coastwatcher42 View Post
    Let me go

. Prague will be expensive for rental but surrounding towns will be very reasonable. Regular grocery stores are also quite reasonable. If you frequent tourist traps then you'll pay through the nose for it :-)[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I was thinking. A bit out of town, buy a fixer upper. Geez I've lived through 6 rehabbed houses, is it really time for #7 ??

I will say that outside of Prague few people seemed to know English. That could be a factor if you want to live far from the city center.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++