WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Late November in Maryland?

Hi everyone! My friends and I are planning to hike the Maryland section around Thanksgiving. I just have a few question to see if this is gonna work out.

1. how cold it's gonna be? Will there be snow? I checked the annual temperature of Harpers Ferry and it's around 25 during the night in late November. Right now I am thinking about renting a 15-20 degrees sleeping bag in Baltimore(where my friends live). Will that be okay? We never really got a winter sleeping bag for ourselves because it's toooooo pricey. Before this, we only have hiked in winter once for 3 days in Illinois when it was around 15 around Thanksgiving. IT WAS COLD!!

2. Transportation: we might drive to Pen Mar and park. then at the end will take the shuttle at Harpers Ferry to get back to the start.

Thanks a lot! I can't wait to try my first section of APT!

-

FYI you will be into rifle hunting season

I like the smokies for the week of thanksgiving

I did a section of the trail near there in late November a few years ago.

Admittedly, it was during an unusual cold snap.

I had a 20 degree bag (down) and a thin blue foam sleeping pad, and I was cold. Real cold.

My friend, who brought a 0 degree bag, was toasty. If I had to do it again, I think I would go with a 10 degree bag and a more substantive sleeping pad.

It did not get above freezing during the day (which I think is unusual), and up on the ridge it can be windy.

Also it gets dark early. You really need to be setting up your tent by 4ish. You might want to bring a book or a deck of cards because it is dark for a long time.

Water was a slight problem, so have a look to see where the springs are, and plan accordingly.

My friends and I wore blaze orange vests and hats.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

I have done hikes the weekend after Thanksgoving in this area quite a few times (my brothers and I do an annual trip but I can always make it). I use a 20 deg bag and have seen temps below 20 and above 30 at night. A 20 deg bag, good pad, down jacket, gloves, beanie, and dry camp clothes are a must. Enjoy the hike

The nice possibility... if you're renting the bag anyway... you can make your final choice once you see the 10 day forecast. Since you're unsure... err on the side of caution and add 10 degrees to the coldest expected night.

Make sure you have a pad rated high enough for the cold weather (R4 at minimum) so if you need to rent that as well factor that into your rental choices. An under rated pad is usually the main culprit in cold weather.

Not sure the status of the train station in HF, but the Chicago to DC Amtrak gets off there. If I remember right it goes through Champaign around 11pm and you get off in HF at about 11am thier time. Either way... for you finishing/starting at HF might be the easier way to get to and from for you.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Parking - Pen Mar parking at the official spot is not that great. Last time I checked overnight parking wasn't permitted in the park parking lot. But here's an idea that might work better for you ultimately. You could drive to Harper's Ferry National Park and for the entrance fee you can register your car and leave it there. Take a shuttle up to Pen Mar (easy shuttle) and hike back to your car. Alternatively, rather than taking a car, you could take the train out from Baltimore to Harper's Ferry, either via Amtrak or by the commuter trains that run to Union Station in Washington, D.C. That could take a while though so the car might be the better choice with all your gear.

As for temps - expect anything from the single digits to the 40s in the mountains. But the great thing about sectioning is, you can wait until the last minute to see what the weather might hold. Just know that it can and WILL be different than the forecast. Plan for the worst.

Bags - Rent a bag that's rated for 10 degrees lower than you think you will experience. Alternatively, be prepared to wear several layers to bed to add to the warmth, just not so many layers that you compress the bag sides/top and lose loft. Also, Bill is again spot on about the sleeping pad. A simple foam pad can work (I've used mine in the dead of winter successfully) but it might leave you cold. Double check the pad's R-value and make sure you are getting what you need. Remember the ground is one giant heat-sink no matter how warm your bag is.

Last, to echo George it is hunting season in MD during Thanksgiving. Be sure to have blaze orange visible prominently from all directions. Not just a patch either - lots of it. Say a knit cap, vest or pack cover.

Finally, enjoy your hike! It is beautiful in the late fall. The leaves are off the trees and you can see things that you just can't for the rest of the year when the weather is warmer.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

++ New Posts ++