WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gear Compartmentalization

In the planning stages and just wondering the different ways people compartmentalize their gear. Obviously you've got separate big items like sleeping "system" (tent, hammock, etc), pad and sleeping bag. There's the food bag and toiletries. Beyond that, what's the preference or recommendations? Rain items (jacket and pants) in a stuff sack? Camp items like crocs, extra socks separated for easy access? Or beyond the handful items listed above jus pack it all in!

Any experience and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

plastic bins, hang sleeping bags on coat hooks in my closet

I have a large plastic bag pack liner that fills the bottom part of the pack. It has the sleeping stuff (bag, pad, sleeping clothes) just stuffed in the bottom. They are always used together so they no need to pack separately. Extra clothes are also in there, stored in a plastic grocery bag. This keeps all the extra clothes together and dry. On top of the pack liner goes the food bag (waterproof ZPacks CF food bag). I'll keep my pot/stove in the food bag if it fits (rare that I carry so much food that it wouldn't). I have a few items that will either go in the top of the pack with the food bag or in side pouches, depending on the day (do I think I will need them handy or not). These are a qt zip bag for small essential items (back-up, emergency, medicine, repair, etc...), rain coat (stores in its own pocket), another small grocery bag with the Sawyer Mini filter and associated water gear, and my headlamp. I have a CF toiletries bag that is in the side pouch. Water bottles are bungied to my pack straps. Camera and snacks are in the hip belt pockets. Wallet, maps, SAK, BIC mini, in pants pockets. I have a net bag hanging from the peak of the tent to keep little things from getting lost at night. Tent in its own stuff sack in the outer back pocket of the pack.

Great, exactly the type of info I'm after. Thanks

Images

Trying to organize everything into sacks/bags often results in too many bags or stuff sacks and tends to leave you trying to pack often large hard lumps of stuff into your pack, which can make it more difficult to fit things in as it leaves gaps and holes, restricts the order you might need certain items, and takes up more room. It's all a trade off - need to protect certain items from water vs. ease of finding things/organization vs. a lumpy pack (and slightly heavier as well). Try not to use stuff sacks/bags that are too small and wind up really full when you put stuff in them, as then they form lumps and can't flex to fit into the pack's shape. Add that on any given day, what you may need during the day may be different. On a cold day you will want an insulation layer(s) near the top. On a wet day, rain jacket and rain hat. Day food is usually near the top, your stove could be, but doesn't have to be. Most people I see with crocs or flip flops hang them on the outside of their packs. Breaking camp in the rain often means wet gear such as a rain fly will get packed on the outside as well. You'll figure it out. Everybody kind of has their own system and tweaks it all the time based upon conditions and learning curve.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Last time I commented on one of these questions I got jumped all over because the way I do it was thought to be entirely un-workable ... even though I have been doing it this way for over half of the AT ... As I always tell people (loosely quoting Mark Twain) "It works for me, but it might kill you" ; ) .... Or as Zipp and Squeak told Trek, "Turtle has his own way of doing things that work for him" ... but let me try again just in case my "way" might help you or someone else think through options.

My ENTIRE sleep system rolls up together and goes into the bottom of my pack which acts as a compression bag. The Tarp-Tent is on the outside and provides good protection from water for the pad, sheet, quilt, sleep shorts, sleep skull cap, and stakes. (add long johns, and/or bag liner for cold weather)

I have a small waterproof bag of "extra" clothes, it includes a pair of socks and a pair of underwear and a long-sleeve shirt. If it is going to be cold it will also include something warmer, maybe down.

I have a mesh cooking bag with whatever stove, pot, lighter, spork, fuel, etc. that I will be using.

I have a "technology" bag with phone, re-charge battery pack, SPOT, ID, money, etc ... it can attach to my belt when necessary.

I use a OP plastic bag for all my food, with a short length of cord to "gift-wrap" it for bear/mouse hanging.

I use a 2L MSR hydration bag in the hydration pocket.

My toiletries are in one of my hip pockets, and knife, tweezers, clippers, notepad, and other small items in the other hip pocket.

One of the side mesh pockets hold my water filter, the other holds my luxury item, a GSI coffee press cup.

The back pocket holds my trail guide sheets (in zip-lock), rain jacket, and camp slippers.

I do not use a rain cover or plastic liner, my pack keeps out the rain, but even if some water got in, nothing important would get wet.

I don't think I left anything out.... my base weight is just under 12# except in cold weather ... of course I could drop 2# if I could only part with my technology. My 50L GoLite JAM is always plenty big for up to 6-7 days out at a stretch.

I hope that was helpful.....

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Last time I commented on one of these questions I got jumped all over because the way I do it was thought to be entirely un-workable ... even though I have been doing it this way for over half of the AT ... As I always tell people (loosely quoting Mark Twain) "It works for me, but it might kill you" ; )....
    Not sure why you would get jumped on. What you describe is almost identical (at least very similar) to what I do (see my post above).

I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Here's what I do:

Long Outer Pocket:
    Cookset (soto windmaster, canister, titanium long handled spork, trek 700 with 4 Dog lid, lighter, piece of pack towel for wiping), goes in its own little stuff sack at the bottom.
    Rolled up sleeping pad (either BA Q Core SL or Neo Air)
    Tent poles also go in this pocket

Smaller Top Outer Pocket:
    Poop Kit (TP, ziplock for packing out, wipes, trowel or sno-stake)

Smaller bottom outer pocket:
    Powerade bottle if I am not using my hydration bladder. If the latter, I also add a rolled up collapsible wide-mouth nalgene bottle.

Mesh Pocket: Rain pants (REI) & jacket (either Precip or Micra, depending on weather). Bug spray. Camp shoes (Vivo Barefoot)

Hand sanitizer, teeny multitool & bandana hangs on outside of pack somewhere.

Main pocket:

At very bottom I put my tent (Zpacks Duplex)

In trash compactor liner:
    Sleep Kit (EE quilt, STS Aeros pillow) goes in compression sack.
    2 gallon size ziplock with extra socks, sleeping clothes, change of underwear, gloves (whatever makes sense for the trip).
    Toiletry kit in its own opsak also goes on bottom.
    I have a separate little bag for my external battery pack that I toss in as well.
    If I need my passport/money/insurance card, it goes in a loc sack baggie, usually in my clothes bag, unless I think I will need it that day. Then I will put it towards the top somewhere.

At top of pack, outside of liner bag I put my Ursack or bear bag full of food, etc.

iPhone and snacks for the day get distributed among the hipbelt pockets.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

old film containers, lozenge tins, and ditty bags.

Think about what you are going to need and in what order you are going to need it. Clothes and sleeping system are probably not going to be accessed much during the day. If it isn't convenient to get to them, not a big deal. Your stove is probably also only used once per day. Doesn't need to be easily accessible. Your tent you may need to setup in the rain. If it is easily accessible you can set that up first, get out of the rain, and get whatever else you need. TP and first aid you may need in a rush during the day - keep it easy to get to. Water and your water filter will be needed several times during the day - keep them handy.

I used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. One of the reasons I got it is because I liked how it let me organize my gear. This was my setup:
    Long outer pocket - tent (including poles and stakes)
    Top pocket - TP, knife, duct tape, safety pins, headlamp
    Two short side pockets - upper one had my dirty water bottle, lower one had two clean water bottles
    Outside mesh pocket - rain gear (if they were wet sticking them out here didn't matter, they weren't getting other things wet), pack cover, camp shoes, and on days where I needed to add/remove an extra layer I just shoved it there
    Inside - sleeping bag on bottom, then sleeping pad, then clothes, then phone charger/extra battery, then food and stove
    Removable hip pocket - phone (used for many functions including guide book), headphones, wallet, beard comb

In addition to what you already have I'll compartmentalize food stuff sack, cookware, and wet/grungy clothes. Yet, these compartmentalized pieces go to creating a whole. It's more about componentizing while looking also at the bigger picture of integrating all the compartmentalized "stuff." I didn't intend to make that sound confusing or unnecessarily use big sounding words. This is just my mindset as a UL, occasionally SUL, LD hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    ...I have a CF toiletries bag that is in the side pouch. ...Wallet, maps, SAK, BIC mini, in pants pockets...

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a CF toiletries bag? And what's a SAK?

FWIW, my view is, this all depends on the kind of pack you use. For example, mine really doesn't have outside pockets/side pouches (except those that are really for water containers).

Images

i just carry less stuff, less to organize and the weight of those stuff sacks add up quick.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by jred321 View Post
    Think about what you are going to need and in what order you are going to need it. Clothes and sleeping system are probably not going to be accessed much during the day. If it isn't convenient to get to them, not a big deal. Your stove is probably also only used once per day. Doesn't need to be easily accessible. Your tent you may need to setup in the rain. If it is easily accessible you can set that up first, get out of the rain, and get whatever else you need. TP and first aid you may need in a rush during the day - keep it easy to get to. Water and your water filter will be needed several times during the day - keep them handy.

I used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. One of the reasons I got it is because I liked how it let me organize my gear. This was my setup:
    Long outer pocket - tent (including poles and stakes)
    Top pocket - TP, knife, duct tape, safety pins, headlamp
    Two short side pockets - upper one had my dirty water bottle, lower one had two clean water bottles
    Outside mesh pocket - rain gear (if they were wet sticking them out here didn't matter, they weren't getting other things wet), pack cover, camp shoes, and on days where I needed to add/remove an extra layer I just shoved it there
    Inside - sleeping bag on bottom, then sleeping pad, then clothes, then phone charger/extra battery, then food and stove
    Removable hip pocket - phone (used for many functions including guide book), headphones, wallet, beard comb
    Almost exactly this. Things I will probably use during the day are outside the pack body and things that I only use at camp, are inside the pack body. Things I know I will use are handy, easy to get to, like water bottles, snacks, sunscreen or sunglasses, bandana, for example.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post

FWIW, my view is, this all depends on the kind of pack you use. For example, mine really doesn't have outside pockets/side pouches (except those that are really for water containers).
    CF = Cuben Fiber, SAK = Swiss Army knife
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Pack, gallon ziplock

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post

Sak is swiss army knife. CF is cuben fiber. Sorry for the jargon. True about packs. Because I keep water bottles on my shoulder straps I can use those side pockets for things I'm likely to need during the day.those big pouches in the middle for tents seem to be pretty common. I have a Kalais by Elemental Horizons.

The big stuff is pretty obvious. Keeping track of little stuff can be a problem. I store all my little odds and ends in a rectangular 24 oz Rubbermaid food container. Pointy metal objects go in there along with spare batteries, sew kit, patch kit, band aids, charger, cord and so on. Crush and waterproof.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

-

my system is pretty random - mostly varies by how full the food bag is, in summer that can be half the volume of the pack so everything else has to stuffed around the edges

Thunder

I have an osprey aether 60. I use the front pocket to carry either wet items or a full bottle depending on what type of stove I have on the trip, the 2 side pockets have a Nalgene in each. Have a 3 liter camelback in my hydration pocket then inside the pack have my tentpoles on one side, a small stuff sack with an extra shirt and a few other clothes, then I stuff my tent in the pack and then put my foodbag and stove on the top and im good to go. Any extras I have such as my headlamp and maps go in the top pouch of the pack as well as anything else I might have, depending on the trip. In the hip side pocket on the pack I carry my sak incase I ever need it suddenly.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++