Default Summer section hike– AT or PCT?

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are planning to do a 2.5-3 month section hike this summer of either the PCT or the AT. We are having trouble deciding which one makes the most sense for us. We are both East Coasters, which makes the AT logistically easier, less expensive, and more connected to us culturally/historically. That being said, I feel kind of drawn to the PCT because of its amazing views, better weather, and my own nostalgia from hiking out west (I did a NOLS course in Wyoming a few summers back).

If we were to do the PCT, I was wondering where would be a reasonable place for us to start. I think we would want to skip Southern California and the desert, but are unsure where we should start if we were planning to begin in mid May/late May and end in early August/mid August. I was thinking maybe around Vermillion Resorts, but I don't know what the weather/snow/river crossings are like around there in May, and would be uncomfortable doing mountaineering because I have no prior mountaineering experience. I know the Sierras can be pretty snowy and potentially dangerous until mid June.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Journal Entries

Mid-May might be a bit early. Friends started in Yosemite on June 21st and got rained on and a bit of snow. Nothing too bad but the Tioga Pass road Opened May 4th, then was closed for about a week, a week later due to snow. Also it briefly closed (overnight) in July. After years of drought and low snow packs El Nino is coming in 2016 (so they promise), so next Spring is unpredictable. If you want predictable do the AT. Want to start early do the AT. I've thru hiked the AT and highly recommend it, but I'd recommend the PCT over the AT if you're more flexible on the schedule. Section J of the PCT in Washington is spectacular, as is the JMT section (Average 21 days) of the PCT. AT is fantastic, but it's called the Green Tunnel for a reason.

Journal Entries

PS: The weather on the AT is relatively predictable, it's not likely to have killer tornadoes or hurricanes like it did in 2011 during my 2011 thru-hike. No way that just doesn't happen. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Mid-May might be a bit early. Friends started in Yosemite on June 21st and got rained on and a bit of snow. Nothing too bad but the Tioga Pass road Opened May 4th, then was closed for about a week, a week later due to snow. Also it briefly closed (overnight) in July. After years of drought and low snow packs El Nino is coming in 2016 (so they promise), so next Spring is unpredictable. If you want predictable do the AT. Want to start early do the AT. I've thru hiked the AT and highly recommend it, but I'd recommend the PCT over the AT if you're more flexible on the schedule. Section J of the PCT in Washington is spectacular, as is the JMT section (Average 21 days) of the PCT. AT is fantastic, but it's called the Green Tunnel for a reason.
    While I've only hike the AT from Ga-Va..and did the JMT this September.....it's a no brainer!!!!!!!! I love the AT but if the rest of the PCT is anything like the JMT.....PCT for sure......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd start mid to late June in Washington and hike south. Then just keep hiking as long as you can/want.

If it is an el nino year, the Sierras will be snow-bound until late June or July.

Or go to Glacier and hike south on the CDT.

Mid May will involve snow travel through the Sierra Nevada in most years (including this drought year when there was new snow in late May/early June). Based on the OP's criteria, I would suggest doing some hiking on the AT to start with and then do the JMT in July or August if budget permits.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

I would second you Atronc about skipping S. Cal in the summer. I day hiked there in August (Campo & Warner Springs) by noon the temps were over 100 degrees. In both places, I only saw one set of foot prints besides mine.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If the forecasted El Nino monster snowpack in California comes to pass, you could well be looking at deep snow in the Sierra in May and June. And mid-June might even be too early to start a southbound hike. Because the PCT is mostly up high in the mountains, there really is no place that you could find in May that will be mostly snow-free. So, unless the snowpack out west ends up being low or you're comfortable with extensive snow travel (which i can tell you mostly sucks), the PCT probably won't work on your schedule.

What could work is a NOBO section hike on the CDT starting from the Mexican border or maybe central NM. But don't even think about this unless you're good at navigation with map and compass and okay with long water carries. It's a much harder sort of hiking than the AT or PCT.

++ New Posts ++