WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Best tent type for A.T.

hello WBlazers, I'm looking for opinions on the best type of tent for hiking thru on the AT. What's your favorite and why? I come from a very dry climate and haven't ever experienced the eastern forests.
    tyvm!

Never Give Up

My current favorite is the SMD Skyscape Trekker. It's about as light as you can get without spending crazy money on Cubin fiber. It's has an "A frame" design which gives enough head room to sit up in and enough elbow room to change a shirt without rubbing against the walls. It has a narrow footprint so it doesn't need a lot of space to set up. The sides are all netting so the vestibule "wings" can be rolled up to give lots of ventilation on a hot summer night. The disadvantage is it needs two trekking poles to set up and that can be a little tricky to do.

My previous tent was a SMD Luna Solo which was okay, but it's round, pyramid shape took up a lot of real estate so it was hard to set up in a cramped site. Also the tent walls come down at very acute angle so it's hard not to rub against the walls when changing clothes.

There is a lot to be said for a self supporting tent, but stay away from "dome" tents.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Slo go: I like the looks of your shelter, but just wondering how the SMD Skyscape Trekker compares to the LightHeart Solo tarp? They look very similar in design. How long did it take you to get the hang for the setup?

tia

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My current favorite is the SMD Skyscape Trekker. It's about as light as you can get without spending crazy money on Cubin fiber. It's has an "A frame" design which gives enough head room to sit up in and enough elbow room to change a shirt without rubbing against the walls. It has a narrow footprint so it doesn't need a lot of space to set up. The sides are all netting so the vestibule "wings" can be rolled up to give lots of ventilation on a hot summer night. The disadvantage is it needs two trekking poles to set up and that can be a little tricky to do.

My previous tent was a SMD Luna Solo which was okay, but it's round, pyramid shape took up a lot of real estate so it was hard to set up in a cramped site. Also the tent walls come down at very acute angle so it's hard not to rub against the walls when changing clothes.

There is a lot to be said for a self supporting tent, but stay away from "dome" tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeka View Post
    hello WBlazers, I'm looking for opinions on the best type of tent for hiking thru on the AT. What's your favorite and why? I come from a very dry climate and haven't ever experienced the eastern forests.
    tyvm!

Never Give Up
    3 season, non-single wall. i have an msr hubba

+1 Lone Wolf. My go-to shelters are the TT Moment DW and Notch.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There's no single 'best' without knowing your hiking style. How much 'fiddle factor' are you willing to tolerate on the pitch? Do you carry trekking poles (for a pole-supported tent) or do you need the tent to include poles? Are you comfortable with a fairly cramped tent, or do you want a little extra room? Are you tall enough that you can't sit up under some of the lower one-person tents? Are you happy with end-entry, or do you want the door on the side?

Considering all of the above, I decided on a TarpTent Notch for myself, and it's given me a few dozen nights of admirable service.

- It's got side entry. I'm not as limber as I used to be, and don't want to contort myself around a tent pole and down the length of a tiny tent. In fact, the Notch has dual vestibules, which for me is an advantage for organizing gear.
    - It's trekking pole supported. I carry poles anyway, no need to carry the additional weight of tent poles.
    - It's got a fair amount of headroom in the center, which is good, since I'm tallish (6'1"). It also doesnt get horribly cramped overhead at the ends. The little struts that hold the ends up help a lot.
    - It has a full mesh inner - and I opted for the half-solid side panels, to keep the wind out better in cold weather.
    - At 1 lb 10 oz, it's decently light.

I've had it pitched in snow. I don't think I'd trust it for extended travel in deep winter, but that's not what an A-T thru-hiker does.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Slo go: I like the looks of your shelter, but just wondering how the SMD Skyscape Trekker compares to the LightHeart Solo tarp? They look very similar in design. How long did it take you to get the hang for the setup?

tia
    Yea, they look nearly identical. The SMD has a wider foot box since it's rectangular instead of triangular. In some ways that might be a disadvantage as it probably sags more when wet then the LH version, but with the pointy end of the LH the foot of the bag might be prone to rubbing against the sides. Nothing is prefect.

As for set up, not too difficult. Getting the pole length right is the trick. The pole spreader on the SMD is a bit floppy on the ends where the poles tips insert and that can be a little annoying and the whole thing wants to twist until you get the second pole in place. The LH probably has similar problems.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have a SMD Skyscape Trekker, too. It is a nice balance between size and weight, at 24 ounces. My three favorite things about it are: 1) the weight, 2) it is very quick to set up and 3) I can easily sit up inside of the Trekker, and there is still room above my head. You can also factor in 4) the price for what you get.

I am considering getting something bigger, but it will end out costing a lot more. It's not that the Trekker was too small, but should I be stuck inside for a really bad weather day, I'd like to have a bit more room.

If you want to see the setup of the tent and its interior room, watch my video from my trip to Washington.

-

I use shelters and bivies - some with hoops, some WO

Another Kevin has a great point, without knowing your backpacking style, seasons, terrain, etc, its difficult to say there is any one "best" tent.

Myself, I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur II, because:

Free standing tent with double wall
    Side door access with vestibule
    Fairly light at 2 pounds and change
    Good venting and withstands weather very well (3 season mostly but can be used in winter)
    The tent sets up pretty fast and tears down quickly, little noise and commotion involved
    I prefer this tent in a 2- person size for the additional room to get my gear inside without being cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Myself, I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur II,
    The pole configuration on that thing makes me dizzy just looking at it. Canoed the Allagash with a guy who had one of these, and he loved it, and seemed to have no problem setting it up and taking it down. But seriously, that has to be the most complicated pole arrangement of any tent ever designed....

My Rainbow has one pole. It runs thru the middle line of the tent. Period.

Lightheart Gear Solo. Double wall, 27 oz. Plenty of room for pack and gear inside. It is a wonderful design.

Here's what you need to know about the East Coast:

Main things:
    Spring and fall are short. Summer is looooong.
    The buggy season is all summer long.
    It's too hot and humid for bivvies in the summer.
    There is lots of undergrowth, so campsites are small.
    The ground is often damp for days.
    Damp and warm breeds lots and lots of creepy crawlies.

Other things:
    You'll get to set up / break camp in the rain.
    The ground is often rocky, but doesn't have loose rocks.

A large tarp and ground cloth works fine in the spring and fall.

In the summer, I like to use a home made tarp tent that is shaped like a wall tent, but has all-mesh walls and doors. It's extra tall, so I don't have to contort getting in and out.

In the winter, I use a large tarp, large groundcloth (to have someplace dry to lay my gear out), and a bivy (to get rid of wind-chill).

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 is good enough for me, under 2 lbs, not crazy expensive, double wall, almost free standing, quick to set up and take down. Downside, front entry.

I sold trekker and replaced it with a notch. I didn't like the flat single wall roof at my feet or the single door and narrow vwstibule. I think the bathtub and door tie backs are better in the notch. I wish the notch had a bit more room inside but the generous vestibule and two doors make up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Another Kevin has a great point, without knowing your backpacking style, seasons, terrain, etc, its difficult to say there is any one "best" tent.

Myself, I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur II, because:

Free standing tent with double wall
    Side door access with vestibule
    Fairly light at 2 pounds and change
    Good venting and withstands weather very well (3 season mostly but can be used in winter)
    The tent sets up pretty fast and tears down quickly, little noise and commotion involved
    I prefer this tent in a 2- person size for the additional room to get my gear inside without being cramped.

I think the copper spur II is 3 lb 2 oz.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Did 1400 miles on the AT this year. Started with a BA Copper Spur UL1, switched to a Lightheart SoLong6 in Waynesboro VA in June, then back to the Copper Spur when I jumped north to flipflop. Ended up coming off the trail without finishing due to injury. Already planning a rerun I plan to switch to something cuben fiber. Totally sucks carrying around 5 lbs of water that you can't drink. If I choose to use a pack cover again, it will also be cuben fiber because, while the one I had performed pretty well, I still ended up with a wet pack because it proved to not be waterproof, only water-resistant. Will be looking to try to lighten my pack by 5 - 10 pounds before my next attempt.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I think the copper spur II is 3 lb 2 oz.
    I know that my Copper Spur I with the footprint was 2 lb 10 oz without any of the stuff sacks.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Did 1400 miles on the AT this year. Started with a BA Copper Spur UL1, switched to a Lightheart SoLong6 in Waynesboro VA in June, then back to the Copper Spur when I jumped north to flipflop. Ended up coming off the trail without finishing due to injury. Already planning a rerun I plan to switch to something cuben fiber. Totally sucks carrying around 5 lbs of water that you can't drink. If I choose to use a pack cover again, it will also be cuben fiber because, while the one I had performed pretty well, I still ended up with a wet pack because it proved to not be waterproof, only water-resistant. Will be looking to try to lighten my pack by 5 - 10 pounds before my next attempt.
    Hey girl. Glad to see you back. Missed you and sorry to hear you had to get off because of injury. Miss my hiking partner. Where are you living now?

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Because of the weather here on the east coast and if I were going to hike, I would definitely want a double wall tent. Something where you can either just use the tarp(early spring/fall) or both the tarp and bug net(summer). I prefer hiking poles so free standing isn't important to me.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++