WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Experiences and opinions on AT iPad apps

Hello. I've downloaded and am looking over the AT Hiker and AT Notebook apps and am wondering if others have used them or others they may know of.

The AT Hiker app seems to suggest that it keeps up to date as much as is realistic for such a thing. Actually so?

Any info on any of these and other apps, please!

Check out Guthook's AT Guide. You have to pay for the maps but the first section is free. I have it, though I haven't really used it on the trail so far but a thru-hiker showed it to me and he loved it. Others have as well. Gaia is another but I don't find it very intuitive.

Guthook is my favorite

I have AT hiker, guthooks, and Gaia. I think guthooks is the best. Gaia is pretty good too as long as you find a good set of waypoints to upload.

Images

I used Guthook on my section hike last May (Approach Trail to Neel's Gap). I have an iPhone 5c and it worked great. I used the gps function several times to make sure I was still on the trail and to see how much further to the top of Big Cedar (lol!). I loved it and will certainly use it on my thru next year. I'll also have AWOL's AT Guide, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    I used Guthook on my section hike last May (Approach Trail to Neel's Gap). I have an iPhone 5c and it worked great. I used the gps function several times to make sure I was still on the trail and to see how much further to the top of Big Cedar (lol!). I loved it and will certainly use it on my thru next year. I'll also have AWOL's AT Guide, too.
    +1. I found it to be useful to show where I am in relation to whatever point I was looking for. The elevation was great also to give me a heads-up of the climb(s) and how much water I wanted to carry uphill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, all!

Images

I tend to use my GPS and a paper section map of that part I'm hiking, along with xeroxes of the relevant AWOL book pages. I'm only doing a few days at a time. But a friend of mine showed me the guthook phone app on our last trip, and I was so impressed that I bought it and the NC section where we are hiking currently. Pretty good stuff. My phone usually stays on airplane mode in the woods, this app might have me turning on the GPS at least...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Just learned something - on the iPhone, the GPS is on all the time, so even if your phone is on airplane mode, you can still get GPS signals. Some apps (like Guthook and MotionX GPS) allow you to download offline maps for use with the app, so you don't need cellular service. With the GPS being on all the time now, that g really improve the experience with the app. I guess the government finally got to Apple and now they can track you even with the phone on plane mode.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Just learned something - on the iPhone, the GPS is on all the time, so even if your phone is on airplane mode, you can still get GPS signals. Some apps (like Guthook and MotionX GPS) allow you to download offline maps for use with the app, so you don't need cellular service. With the GPS being on all the time now, that g really improve the experience with the app. I guess the government finally got to Apple and now they can track you even with the phone on plane mode.
    Ehh, GPS has *always* been a separate thing from cellular on iPhones, except the very first ones that didn't have true GPS. You can disable it by turning Location Settings off in the settings. Airplane mode disabled GPS prior to iOS 8.2 but there was no need to do this - since GPS is reception-only, it is safe to use on an airplane, and other competing phones were already keeping it enabled when using Airplane mode. GPS *cannot* be used to track you, since the phone does not transmit anything over GPS. To be used for tracking, the phone must have a cellular or wifi connection so that it can transmit your GPS coordinates over cellular (this is how the Find my iPhone feature works). If your device does not include built-in GPS (e.g. an iPod Touch or wifi-only iPad), you can use an external bluetooth GPS. I use one of these and like it. Since this has it's own battery, this extends your main device battery life as well.

Guthook's AT Hiker is great - I had some concerns about it at first due to not fully understanding it, but ended up E-mailing with the author and figuring everything out. The AT Hiker app includes a button to turn GPS use on or off, so you can conserve battery while still having location services enabled by not having the app use GPS when you don't need it. The content is indeed periodically upgraded. It helped me find my way to the trail in the dark when I was attempting to get to it from an unmarked access trail.

I like that with Guthook I can use the GPS to reassure myself that I'm on the trail when the white blazes seem few and far between. There are times when you can't get a signal though.
    Also, the GPS is nice when you get to wondering exactly how much farther it is to water/shelter/road etc.
    Great app.

++ New Posts ++