WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping on the AT - PA

Is dispersion camping allowed? A guy at the EMS store said I can camp anywhere I want unless prohibited, I did not need to worry about making it from shelter to shelter as some of them are spaced more than I want to hike in a day. I was backpacking near Harrisburg this week and camped about 50-100 feet off the trail, I found a nice spot over a little knoll so you could not even see it from the trail. I also ran across a bunch of boy scouts who said they were going to camp near Hawks Rock so It sounds like dispersion camping is allowed. But i could not seem to find anything online that makes it clear.

I had no issues hanging my hammock off trail between shelters in PA...not allowed in MD though.

Images

exact rules depend on what sort of land you are on (state game lands, state parks, NPS land, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    exact rules depend on what sort of land you are on (state game lands, state parks, NPS land, etc)
    Yes, i gathered that from my original Google search found http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...b.pdf?sfvrsn=0

which made me think perhaps i was not allowed to camp where i did. Those rules are a bit confusing.

Then i found this link http://www.satc-hike.org/paoutdoors.html

Natural Areas: No camping.
    State Forests: Permit required, except primitive backpack campers not using developed facilities who do not need a permit if they stay no more than 1 night at any campsite.
    Wild Areas: Overnight camping will be limited to the backpack primitive type.
    State Game Lands: General rule is no camping permitted.
    State Game Lands along the Appalachian Trail: Overnight at a distance NO more than 200 ft from the designated trail. Only one night at the same location and NOT within 500 ft of a spring, stream or public access area or road.
    State Parks: Camping and use of overnight facilities at designated facilities requires a permit.

I think at least part of the area i was hiking maybe have been state game lands along the AT. there were some sort of game signs, a bit hard to read from the trail. Not in a state park and I saw nothing about Natural Areas so I was probably OK where i camped.

Looking at the next couple sections west of PA850. much of it says it is AT Corridor on the AT maps. Where East has some game lands. What does AT corridor mean? is it like you are walking through fields and can't camp on private land, or is there still a buffer where you can camp?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Looking at the next couple sections west of PA850. much of it says it is AT Corridor on the AT maps. Where East has some game lands. What does AT corridor mean? is it like you are walking through fields and can't camp on private land, or is there still a buffer where you can camp?
    AT corridor usually means youre on land acquired by the NPS.

its a little confusing knowing what land you are on when down on the ground and if youre really worried about inadvertently breaking any regulations then dont camp near places where you are on a border or unsure of what kind of land you are one. otherwise, the rules, though various, are pretty straight forward if you know which set applies to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    I had no issues hanging my hammock off trail between shelters in PA...not allowed in MD though.
    Really? I didn't know there was anything wrong eith camping anywhere in Maryland...oops.

I got called out by a ranger for camping too far away from the designated shelter areas...sucks but there are so many people hiking there, they have to keep some control I guess.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Doing more searches and reading my Thru-hikers companion guide, it appears south of Darington shelter there is no camping in that AT Corridor. I guess you have to stay in town. Does anyone know if that is pretty easy hiking? Rocky/not rocky? Sounds like farmland and hedgerows per the guide. Can I expect to get a few more miles/day in that section compared to the rocky/hilly sections? I am thinking I might just do those as day hikes since I can't camp

Images

Doing more searches and reading my Thru-hikers companion guide, it appears south of Darington shelter there is no camping in that AT Corridor. I guess you have to stay in town. Does anyone know if that is pretty easy hiking? Rocky/not rocky? Sounds like farmland and hedgerows per the guide. Can I expect to get a few more miles/day in that section compared to the rocky/hilly sections? I am thinking I might just do those as day hikes since I can't camp
    some of the easiest hiking on the trail. theres a campground in boiling springs but a lot of people say to avoid it. the no camping area can be crossed easily or stay the night in boiling springs. no offense, but it seems like youre making this more complicated than it is.

Images

The campground in Boiling Springs is right next to the train tracks. If you are deaf it might be enjoyable, otherwise the Allenberry resort has real nice hiker rooms with available laundry, dining, and some nights a show.

Doing more searches and reading my Thru-hikers companion guide, it appears south of Darington shelter there is no camping in that AT Corridor.
    This is the infamous Cumberland Valley crossing, formally a 20+ mile road walk. Now it mostly wanders through and around farm fields and other private property, hence the no camping. It's a long way between the two shelters on either side of the valley, but it is easy walking and can typically be done in a day when there are more hours of daylight. There are chain motels near the state highway crossing (about 1/2 way) or some B+B's in town. As mentioned, do not camp at the backpackers camp at Boiling Springs if you expect to get any sleep.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

some of the easiest hiking on the trail. theres a campground in boiling springs but a lot of people say to avoid it. the no camping area can be crossed easily or stay the night in boiling springs. no offense, but it seems like youre making this more complicated than it is.
    Thanks for the information. I am brand new to backpacking so I know I am not in the shape where I can hike long distances if hilly/rocky. I can go out and do 13 miles in flat Delaware, but 9 miles was more than enough when the trail is more difficult with a heavy pack. Since I don't know anything about that trail, I though a couple 10 mi days may be ok guessing it was flat and easier in that section. I am also trying to figure out good trips where I could go early for 2-3 days and backpack and then my wife can join me and then do a couple day hikes staying in a hotel. Like maybe I do the section out to Mount Holly, she picks me up then we do couple day hikes uptthe trail up to Hawk Rock and then up to Peters mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    This is the infamous Cumberland Valley crossing, formally a 20+ mile road walk. Now it mostly wanders through and around farm fields and other private property, hence the no camping. It's a long way between the two shelters on either side of the valley, but it is easy walking and can typically be done in a day when there are more hours of daylight. There are chain motels near the state highway crossing (about 1/2 way) or some B+B's in town. As mentioned, do not camp at the backpackers camp at Boiling Springs if you expect to get any sleep.
    Thanks. I think it is 18 miles between those two shelters in the guide. Perhaps if was in better shape as a hiker I might be able to do that someday, but for now I think I have to stop in town one night

Images

Thanks. I think it is 18 miles between those two shelters in the guide. Perhaps if was in better shape as a hiker I might be able to do that someday, but for now I think I have to stop in town one night

stop at the allenberry, awesome place near the trail, cheap.

stop at the allenberry, awesome place near the trail, cheap.

His wife might like Allenberry as well.

Allenberry (the whole shebang) is or was for sale, most likely unless some rich hiker buys it, any hiker friendliness for that place might suddenly change.

++ New Posts ++