WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Mac & cheese - how much water?

Hi;
    I'm looking at one of my favorite backpacking foods - mac & cheese - on my grocery's website. Not wishing to bother with powdered milk, oil, and or butter, I am looking at the deluxe version of Kraft classic or 4 cheese 14oz.
    The directions call for 8 cups of water! That seems like a lot - and is 2x what my largest pot will hold.
    I recall that, in the past, I took packets of Kraft mac & cheese which used powdered cheese, and didn't require so much water. I never had a pot larger than 1Q.
    I would boil the water, pour the macaroni in, boil another 7 minutes, drain, and either add contents of cheese packet and mix, or transfer the pasta into a disposable bowl, then add the cheese mix. Using the disposable - paper - bowl made cleanup a lot easier. I could just wipe and rinse out the pot, stuff the bowl into a baggie and carry out to trash.

But now I find that I will need a lot more water. Is it just that I'm looking at much larger quantities?
    I do understand that the product I am looking at now is not the same as in the past - it has a pouch for the cheese - which is not dehydrated - generally, this is much tastier, and provides more protein.
    So, do I need to buy a new pot, break up the cooking of the pasta into two stages, or what? I definitely do want the 14oz size. 7oz is not going to do it for me.
    As it is, I will be adding tuna from a packet to the mac & cheese to improve taste and provide more protein.

Thanks for your advice

Arden

I use the old school mac & cheese with the powder (Kraft or Trader Joe's) and require very little water. What I do is boil about 14 ounces of water and some olive oil. Then I add the mac and powder and bring it back to a boil. Then I turn off the stove and put the pot, covered, into my pot cozy for ten minutes. Then I bring it back to a little less than a boil and put back into my cozy for five minutes. The result is pretty good and has no excess liquid. It isn't as good as making it "correctly" but passable on trail and uses very little fuel. I've done this with a Jetboil Sol.

I've never measured water for boiling stuff like pasta, which includes mac and cheese, because you drain the water after boiling; it's not like rice where all the water is both evaporated off and absorbed into the rice.

As long as the level of water is about 2 inches above the level of the macaroni pile than you should be fine. 8-cups equals 1/2-gallon (64oz), that does seem like way too much. Are you reading that on the package or something on the website you're reading?

I'll use about 2 C of water. Boil the water & dump in the noodles & stir just a bit. I put the pot in the pot cozie for 15 min or so. Afterward, I'll stir in the cheese mixture & 1/4 C of Nido Powdered milk. It takes a while to mix everything up. Then, I'll add some olive oil & typically some sort of meat (shelf stable bacon, chicken in a foil pack, tuna in a foil pack, Spam, etc).
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I use the old school mac & cheese with the powder (Kraft or Trader Joe's) and require very little water. What I do is boil about 14 ounces of water and some olive oil. Then I add the mac and powder and bring it back to a boil. Then I turn off the stove and put the pot, covered, into my pot cozy for ten minutes. Then I bring it back to a little less than a boil and put back into my cozy for five minutes. The result is pretty good and has no excess liquid. It isn't as good as making it "correctly" but passable on trail and uses very little fuel. I've done this with a Jetboil Sol.
    Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to order a pot cozy! I was going to do it, but completely forgot while I was ordering other stuff. I guess I could make one, but the instructions I read called for a "diamond plate" sun shade. Right now I don't think any of the auto parts stores are going to sell that. Besides, I'm not really into making stuff myself. I always wind up spending far too much time, and a lot more money than what was indicated.

Journal Entries

I like the squeeze packed (non-dehydrated) cheese better than the powdered, but if weight is going to be an issue I probably need to compromise. The trek I'm preparing for is only 4 days, so I shouldn't really need to worry about powdered vs squeeze cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    8-cups equals 1/2-gallon (64oz), that does seem like way too much. Are you reading that on the package or something on the website you're reading?
    I just happened to have a box of this http://www.walmart.com/ip/10295758?w...250626&veh=sem

It's 12oz and it calls for 6-cups of water, so if it were a 14oz box I could see it calling for 8-cups. However, I know I don't use that much water, but I never measured how much. I would do an experiment, but I'm having steak tonight

Pre-cook your macaroni at home, then dry it in your oven. Then you'd only need water to re-hydrate and heat and wouldn't use all that fuel to cook it.

Journal Entries

That's an idea. Then all I need is the cheese, which I can buy in packets dehydrated or non.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I'll use about 2 C of water. Boil the water & dump in the noodles & stir just a bit. I put the pot in the pot cozie for 15 min or so. Afterward, I'll stir in the cheese mixture & 1/4 C of Nido Powdered milk. It takes a while to mix everything up. Then, I'll add some olive oil & typically some sort of meat (shelf stable bacon, chicken in a foil pack, tuna in a foil pack, Spam, etc).
    Carl that sounds good. Can you hazard a guess as to how much olive oil and tuna you'd start with?
    i'm assuming you are using a 1/4 cup "mixed up" Nido milk. Or not and just the dry mix?
    I'm one of the those cooks that learn from others perfect recipes!
    thanks,
    rolex

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Carl that sounds good. Can you hazard a guess as to how much olive oil and tuna you'd start with?
    i'm assuming you are using a 1/4 cup "mixed up" Nido milk. Or not and just the dry mix?
    I'm one of the those cooks that learn from others perfect recipes!
    thanks,
    rolex
    Why does the can of Nido say 28% milk fat when the description says each can produces 3L with 3.7% milk fat?

Journal Entries

Found the Reflectix I need to build my own pot cozy on Amazon as pipe insulation. Seems that's the only to make it. The only pre-made ones are for specific pots, and cost a lot more when you consider I will be getting enough to make a dozen cozies.

Journal Entries

Oh no... just learned that one of my favorite backpacking meals isn't good for me! Ramen noodles. Too bad. They are so tasty, and easy to prepare. I guess it's not so bad if you're exercising heavily as a backpacker would be doing, but why put something bad into your body when you're doing something so good for it with the exercise? I can't understand people who use the excuse that they exercise a lot to justify eating junk food.
    So, no Ramen noodles for me.

Images

Really? Has it gotten to the point where people need help cooking macaroni?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Really? Has it gotten to the point where people need help cooking macaroni?
    Afraid so. For backpacking though, Ramen has always been a staple. Maybe I should stop reading the health reports. But I am trying to eat healthy, in addition to my strenuous exercise regimen - besides my occasional backpacking, I'm an ultra marathon runner. I'm even considering going veggie, but it's hard to find veggie foods for backpacking that will provide enough protein - unless one can live mainly on nuts. Which reminds me. I've got my Gorp mixed - peanuts, raisins, and M&M's, but I think adding some walnuts to the mix, or separately might make a good addition.
    It's also difficult to go vegetarian when you live in a house with meat eaters and you don't have the money to shop at Whole foods or the interest in cooking to prepare the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Oh no... just learned that one of my favorite backpacking meals isn't good for me! Ramen noodles. Too bad. They are so tasty, and easy to prepare. I guess it's not so bad if you're exercising heavily as a backpacker would be doing, but why put something bad into your body when you're doing something so good for it with the exercise? I can't understand people who use the excuse that they exercise a lot to justify eating junk food.
    So, no Ramen noodles for me.
    Only the flavoring packet is bad for you. The noodles are just fast cooking noodles.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I think SGT ROCK said half as much water as the box is enough for freezer bag approach. (or maybe One of the cooks)
    Anyway, that has worked for me.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Only the flavoring packet is bad for you. The noodles are just fast cooking noodles.
    From what I read, the noodles are deep fried and contain a lot of sat fat.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I think SGT ROCK said half as much water as the box is enough for freezer bag approach. (or maybe One of the cooks)
    Anyway, that has worked for me.
    I found the "old fashioned" Kraft mac & cheese with the powdered cheese mix. That will do for me, and help to reduce the weight of my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    From what I read, the noodles are deep fried and contain a lot of sat fat.
    Looks like you're right. Good thing I stick mostly to mac & cheese, I guess !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++