WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Had my first encounter with a hiker snob.

I am sure I will meet many more in my life time, but this guy really urked me.

A few weeks ago I was hiking at apple orchard mountains. We car camped at the trail head and was making our way to the summit to see the waterfall. As we were hiking, we passed a guy with a fishing pole. I was having a little trouble at one of the log bridges with my youngest pup so he paused to allow me to deal with her. He was nice about it, and even seemed apologetic when the fishing pole he carried scared her even more.

what urked me is his comment about shoes. I am sure he was only trying to warn me, and such but he was still kind of a dick about it.

Basically...after I grabbed my dog (on leash, just scared), he said, "You guys should be careful hiking up to the top. The rocks can be slippery."

I half smiled. "Oh, I have been here a few times before. I know my way up."

He did a slow, pan, obvious scrutinizing look down to my shoes, "Yeah, but tennis shoes aren't really good grippers when it comes to rocks..."

I just did a half smile again, and told him we would be careful before making our way again. I am not entirely annoyed, but he did urk me a little. The trail is only rocky in like two places, and each time we came, I was ether in sandles or tennis shoes.

In a way, I did feel a little superior. I can hike in crap shoes with ease. I actually did a 8 mile section hike last weekend in the same shoes because the store did not have the right size when I went to check out the shoes I've been eyeing online.

"irk" not "urk"
    Just sayin'

Maybe you're the one who needs an attitude adjustment since you were so easily "urked" and by how "superior" you felt. Seems like you're about at that point of being a "Hiker Snob" yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    Maybe you're the one who needs an attitude adjustment since you were so easily "urked" and by how "superior" you felt. Seems like you're about at that point of being a "Hiker Snob" yourself.

that's how i read the post as well..............

Images

Although unsolicited advice may be irksome, as related by you, it sounded more like the guy was merely concerned for your safety and well being rather than being a hiker snob.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

Did i miss the snobbish part? Sounds like normal opinionated hikers to me.

Journal Entries

I've had several hiking friends who after just a few hundred miles are experts telling other hikers what type of pack is best, what type of shoes they should be wearing, what section of trail is the best and what should and should not be in their packs. If was funny them telling others with just a few miles they have hiked. Everyone is a expert aren't they... woops better watch my spelling and punctuation before someone corrects me. Everyone has opinions right or wrong. I liked it better being a newbie.

hey, we all get erkitated sometimes.

Images

Don't be an urk!

You have now been "urked"....

steve-urkel-costume-1.jpg

Well, he was trying to be helpful, however "irksome" it was. It is well documented that people tend to slip on the rocks surrounding waterfalls and creeks. . . maybe he really was concerned. Also, I didn't realize until recently how much the "technology" of hiker shoes has advanced in the last few years. I had a pair of hiking boots I loved, and was determined to wear them until they "died of old age." Well, I recently bought a new pair of hiking shoes (could no longer get the style of boots I so favored), and WOW! Those shoes have a specialized rubber sole that "grips" the rocks like you wouldn't believe! I will never, ever hike in "tennis shoe" type shoes again. I love these new shoes, and they are so much safer than what I was hiking in.

Have a friend (triple crowner PLUS 2 thru-hikes) who makes much of his own equipment.
    He secretly loves going out on the AT and having people telling him he's doing it wrong.
    Just enjoy it!
    No need to get upset.
    Life should be fun right?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Hiker? Sounds like he was a fisherman.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    Yea, but if we were all being honest haven't a lot of us felt the same way in similar situations? i know I have.

Its a bit different in the telling, but Mags once posted a very good one when he was questioned about his gear. I wish I could find it-- I rember laughing at the time.

A lot of people are still on a sugar buzz regarding "proper footwear" I'm the woods. Used to be that was a common critique in the accident evaluations published in the Appalacia journal. It was a given that if you had sneakers in the woods you would be taken to task for it.

Sounds like this story has the potential to be another Mary Ellen story, like in the book: A Walk in the Woods.

You should have channeled your inner Bill Bryson and you would of had people rolling on the floor

Images

No matter how "helpful" a person may think they are, unsolicited advice is just that- unsolicited.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    ..."Yeah, but tennis shoes aren't really good grippers when it comes to rocks..."...
    Anyone ever wonder why we refer sneakers as Tennis Shoes? Tennis isn't exactly a common sport here in the States, but a lot of people seem to refer to sneakers as Tennis shoes -- I've even done it, but I don't know why...

Some interesting history on various lingo of sneakers, tennis shoes.... http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/d...kers-4077.html

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....lled-sneakers/

So you're dragging a long a little foo foo dog that's scared of walking across logs and this guy thinks it'd be nice to warn you about how difficult the trail conditions are ahead.

WUT. A. *****LORD.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    No matter how "helpful" a person may think they are, unsolicited advice is just that- unsolicited.
    So, by this reasoning, when/if I walk by a family in summer type clothing with small kids KNOWING a cold front with associated stormage is coming in the next hour or so, I just keep walking and say nothing?

Granted – checking out the shoes BEFORE saying anything may have been patronizing, but I’m always happy to hear a warning about conditions ahead, regardless of how long I’ve been hiking.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++