WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: how many miles?

Images

Default how many miles?

Can anyone tell me how many trail miles it is from Sylva to Pisgah on the MST? We'll probably start at Pinnacle Park hiking east to Mt Pisgah.
    Thanks

Assume you mean trail miles - MST doesn't technically run through Sylva but just NE of there. BRP miles from 74/BRP intersection per google (which would closely mirror MST miles since it weaves back and forth across it) says 35 miles but it would probably be more like 40 or more trail miles.

http://www.atdist.com

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, didn't realize this was an MST question!

Default how many miles?

The River Valley Route of the MST goes through Sylva. From Pinnacle Park to Waterrock Knob is 6.2 miles. From Waterrock Knob to Pisgah Inn is 61 miles, so ~67 miles total. Of course, Heartfire asked this question a few months ago...
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Wow - been a while since I had been to the FMST website. That Valley route is new to me. Used to be next to nothing regarding info on the site but they now have all sections trail guides up (dated Dec 2015 so very fresh). Used to be a guy named Art that had nice maps of all the sections for free but he took it down due to concerns about liability from people getting lost due to trail reroutes and apparently from drama in regards to the NCSU professor's for-sale guidebook. I appreciate the decision to make some information about the trail public rather than protect commercial interests. Great trail that needs info available so people can enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by golfjhm View Post
    Wow - been a while since I had been to the FMST website. That Valley route is new to me. Used to be next to nothing regarding info on the site but they now have all sections trail guides up (dated Dec 2015 so very fresh). Used to be a guy named Art that had nice maps of all the sections for free but he took it down due to concerns about liability from people getting lost due to trail reroutes and apparently from drama in regards to the NCSU professor's for-sale guidebook. I appreciate the decision to make some information about the trail public rather than protect commercial interests. Great trail that needs info available so people can enjoy it.
    Yeah, they implemented the Valley Route a couple of years ago. It is now one of two options for hikers to get from Clingmans Dome to Waterrock Knob. They did away with the original route out of the Park (exiting at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center and picking up the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway) because many thought the idea of walking through tunnels on the BRP was too dangerous. So, now both routes out of the Park pick up the BRP north of those first few tunnels.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by golfjhm View Post
    Art moved out west.

There has been significant re-routing in the last few years in the mountains. Trail being taken off the parkway in several spots.

To the original posters check the trailguides section on ncmst.org

Also Carolina Mtn Club just finished a section of trail north of Soco Gap and over Waterrock Knob.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++