WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Okay, sure. I'm the one in the wrong, Not the person failing to keep their dog under control.

Attitudes like this is why so many people on this site, and on the trail, dislike dogs on the trail. If you're going to bring a potentially dangerous animal on the trail with you, it's your ****ing responsibility to keep it under control at all time, look out for potential problems (like other hikers), and take necessary precautions.

According to your logic, if someone runs a red light and hits a car that had a green, it's the second guys fault for not announcing his presence ahead of time (perhaps with a loud blast of his horn) and then waiting for the stopped traffic to wave him across.

Oy, some people.

this is a pretty sensitive forum.

Let me make my intentions perfectly clear. I intend to bring my 6 year old black lab Lolah along for my AT thruhike. I intend on taking proper precautions with her as we travel north. I will be considerate of those around me and use proper trail etiquette.

You are right, it is my ****ing responsibility. I was simply returning unwanted advice.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013432]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Nope, I described exactly what I do.[/Q
    nevermind
    Just so you understand, I'm the sort of person that tends to yield the trail out of courtesy whether or not I have a dog with me...well I say it's courtesy, but really I almost always welcome an excuse for a quick break

As for putting myself between my dog and other hikers, this isn't something that I do for the other hiker, I do it for my dog. Most hikers are great, but just like any group of people a small percentage of them are idiots. Over the years I've had enough incidents of people running up to my dog, getting in her face, touching her when she wasn't expecting it, feeding he r crap without asking me and (mostly kids) pulling on her long facial hair that I have realized the easiest way to prevent that is just to keep between them until they have at least said hello to me and I've spent a second sizing them up. It's really much easier to do on the trail than it is to describe on a message board, so you might have to trust me that it works for me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2013443]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post

Just so you understand, I'm the sort of person that tends to yield the trail out of courtesy whether or not I have a dog with me...well I say it's courtesy, but really I almost always welcome an excuse for a quick break

As for putting myself between my dog and other hikers, this isn't something that I do for the other hiker, I do it for my dog. Most hikers are great, but just like any group of people a small percentage of them are idiots. Over the years I've had enough incidents of people running up to my dog, getting in her face, touching her when she wasn't expecting it, feeding he r crap without asking me and (mostly kids) pulling on her long facial hair that I have realized the easiest way to prevent that is just to keep between them until they have at least said hello to me and I've spent a second sizing them up. It's really much easier to do on the trail than it is to describe on a message board, so you might have to trust me that it works for me.

I am the same way, i am definitely more weary of people while i have Lolah with me. Unfortunate owners have generated such animosity on this forum. Honestly i regret my decision to read other hikers thoughts on dogs. Luckily for me i wont be breaking any rules while hiking. Lolah and i will both be enjoying our NOBO, i hope to meet hikers such as yourself while on the move.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013445]

I am the same way, i am definitely more weary of people while i have Lolah with me. Unfortunate owners have generated such animosity on this forum. Honestly i regret my decision to read other hikers thoughts on dogs. Luckily for me i wont be breaking any rules while hiking. Lolah and i will both be enjoying our NOBO, i hope to meet hikers such as yourself while on the move.
    Unfortunately this hiking with dogs sub-forum which was setup for dog owners to help eachother is more often used by non-dog owners to vent, I think the constant whining is why a lot of people who hike with dogs don't bother posting in here any more.

Most of the gripes that people complain about are legitimate, unfortunately those who are venting here don't seem to understand that people who come to this forum are here because they want to do things the right way. Odds are that the clueless family who are bringing untrained unleashed fido on their big adventure, or the nutjob with Tsunami the Killer shepherd who are causing problems on the trail probably didn't stop in for advice before starting their hike. The only thing that the anti-dog venting accomplishes is to give new members the false impression that Whiteblaze is full of jerks.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2013454]

Unfortunately this hiking with dogs sub-forum which was setup for dog owners to help eachother is more often used by non-dog owners to vent, I think the constant whining is why a lot of people who hike with dogs don't bother posting in here any more.

Most of the gripes that people complain about are legitimate, unfortunately those who are venting here don't seem to understand that people who come to this forum are here because they want to do things the right way. Odds are that the clueless family who are bringing untrained unleashed fido on their big adventure, or the nutjob with Tsunami the Killer shepherd who are causing problems on the trail probably didn't stop in for advice before starting their hike. The only thing that the anti-dog venting accomplishes is to give new members the false impression that Whiteblaze is full of jerks.
    i agree with everything you said. It is unfortunate because i was looking for a good way to talk to other thruhikers while not on the trail. My first impressions of WB are not very good.

Images

[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013456]

i agree with everything you said. It is unfortunate because i was looking for a good way to talk to other thruhikers while not on the trail. My first impressions of WB are not very good.
    Don't let this forum discourage you - I've been on the trail with dogs since the early 80's and 99.9. percent of the time it's been great - I have a English black lab hiking dog now and wouldn't go without him - just not in hot weather for him.

My dog does not need a leash and would never bother any hiker unless you offer him a biscuit. Sarcasm the elf has the best advice here.

Over the years many of my hiking friends either stopped backpacking or when they come they are stuck to their smartphones - I much prefer my dog's company.

[QUOTE=adamkrz;2013457]

Don't let this forum discourage you - I've been on the trail with dogs since the early 80's and 99.9. percent of the time it's been great - I have a English black lab hiking dog now and wouldn't go without him - just not in hot weather for him.

My dog does not need a leash and would never bother any hiker unless you offer him a biscuit. Sarcasm the elf has the best advice here.

Over the years many of my hiking friends either stopped backpacking or when they come they are stuck to their smartphones - I much prefer my dog's company.
    I will not be discouraged from my thruhike, no worries there. I guess after hiking the CT this summer and meeting a amazing thru hiker community, i expected less of what is here haha.

As has been said it's the bad owners that's the big problem. The person who claims their dog is well behaved right after it pees on your gear. and is so stupid that they honestly believe what they just said. And if you are a person that hates or is afraid of all dogs Get a life, get a therapist.
    It raises serious doubts with me when I hear someone say their dog doesn't need a leash. My son's dog, that I mostly take of, calms down a lot when on leash. looks up at me for permission when on leash and such. I hang out a fair amount at the local dog park, so I know dozens of dogs, but there is not a single one that I would trust on a long hike. particularly off leash. Ana is on leash anytime she is not at home or in the dog park, never an exception. She has proved she is not trustworthy.

[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013465]
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post

I will not be discouraged from my thruhike, no worries there. I guess after hiking the CT this summer and meeting a amazing thru hiker community, i expected less of what is here haha.
    Did your Lab also go on the CT hike? Or will this AT hike be her first long distance hiking experience? Does she have any hiking/camping experience?

If you want to avoid snap judgements, some back story is required - and a less attention grabbing thread tile.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;2013481]

Did your Lab also go on the CT hike? Or will this AT hike be her first long distance hiking experience? Does she have any hiking/camping experience?

If you want to avoid snap judgements, some back story is required - and a less attention grabbing thread tile.
    She was unable to go on the CT, she was having some health issues and i was worried it would be a problem. She does hike/camp with me. I take her to a lake nearby that has a 6 mile trail, it isnt much but it is good for training and such. I am worried about how she will hold up on something this aggressive though. She has done some 4-7 day trips.

Six year old Lab with a history of unspecified health issues. I have my doubts about the ability of a Lab to complete a thru hike with out any age or health issues to start with. Big dogs don't fair well on the AT for the long haul. Fontana Dam will be the first big decision time. That's when you'll have to decide whether to kennel, shuttle or go home. Quite a few end their hike there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Six year old Lab with a history of unspecified health issues. I have my doubts about the ability of a Lab to complete a thru hike with out any age or health issues to start with. Big dogs don't fair well on the AT for the long haul. Fontana Dam will be the first big decision time. That's when you'll have to decide whether to kennel, shuttle or go home. Quite a few end their hike there.
    Im going to take her as far as she wants to go then i will have someone fly out and pick her up. I do hope she makes it, i dont have a timeline so im able to take as many zeros as it takes.

Journal Entries

Many people enjoy hiking with dogs. On reasonably short intermittent hikes its a great thing imo, as long as dog doesnt bother others.

But....a typical thru hike pace can do permanent damage to a dog, especially larger breeds. It is something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    a typical thru hike pace can do permanent damage to a dog, especially larger breeds. It is something to consider.
    The dog will push itself half to death rather than let its master down. I've see asshats try to do it to their kids but the kids won't take that crap.

Good to hear Elf! I just recently hiked the Colorado Trail and kicked myself the whole time for not bringing Lolah. I will not make the same mistake.
    Planning on hiking a week or two section on CT this Aug. planning to take my hiking buddy. Any tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be bringing my German Shepard with me for my NOBO in 2016. i suggest you bring a gun, shoot first and ask questions later. I am in no way in control of this vicious beast.

He will be off leash and terrorizing neighboring camps.

Your best course of action if you do not bring a gun would be to play dead, i urge you no matter what you do don't run.

I will be pushing Tsunami well beyond his limits, he will be on his own to hunt whatever sustenance he is able. i would hang your food bags quick upon arrival to any shelter/camp. Actually, you should probably just leave that food out or else he might turn on you.

Ive been supplementing his diet with children around my hometown to get him used to digesting human.

OH! Climbing a tree would be a good idea if you encounter Tsunami. Just wait for my arrival and i will get him calmed downish.

Happy season everyone! I hope to see you out there, Trust me you are going to want to see me before he sees you.

j/k

But for real though, me and my beautiful black lab Lolah Faye will be traveling north in march. On leash and just being the majestic creature she is. We both look forward to meeting everyone.Attachment 32395
    Gotta love labs...I've had several over the years...my brother is a paraplegic has a awesome dog who is getting trained as his service dog...actually both my brothers have labs currently I opted for a jrt as easier to clean up after in a small yard....
    IMG_8473.JPG
    This is a pic of his couch after dog got mad he didn't go to work with him!!
    IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_8315.JPG

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    This is a pic of his couch after dog got mad he didn't go to work with him!!
    Just imagine if he did that to some hiker's sleeping bag. Or, if any hikers had reason to believe he might. (such as he already did it to a couch)
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Just imagine if he did that to some hiker's sleeping bag. Or, if any hikers had reason to believe he might. (such as he already did it to a couch)
    Haaa I can see the down flying through the air! Mine actually has his own down bag...a $20 pack able down vest I sewed up waist and arm holes..he's down friendly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    A dog vents his frustration on a couch because he is bored. You don't find a bored dog on a trail though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++